Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, ran into an insue on my FTM a month ago. The shifting on the rear cogs started acting up, I have been having issues where it would not want to go up on the large cog, you could coax it with the shifter or use the adjuster (Pain in the rear). So, I did a race last month and the Mechanic there is from the same shop I bought it from tweaked on it but could not get it perfect, said to bring it in, something was not right.

Fast forward to sunday, I take it up there and leave it. Monday the mechanic calls and says that they found part of the problem, Titus installed a short cage derailleur (SP!). They swapped that out and it is still acting up, so they swapped everything out, Wheel, cassette, different hangers, shifters, cables, housing....... At this point they have gotten it better but not where it should, They were even going to try and bend a hanger to see if they could coax it some. No go. They say it is better but not perfect.... Still hangs up some.

So far they have tried to call TITUS about the derailleur being out of spec, no return call, they have called back about the shifting issues, no return call. As of 4pm yesterday no return call from TITUS. They are no longer pushing TITUS for this reason (so they say).

Only thing I can think of is something in the rear end is out of whack. Any ideas???

I am picking it up and may take it to their other location where they have a better mechanic to see if he can figure it out. All depends on how it feals after I ride it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Bummer! I hate it when shifting is not perfect, can drive a man nuts.

How is the RD cable routed? Seems there are several ways to do it, and I remember seeing a post here a while back from Titus on the proper routing.

Maybe a new hanger (that's the only component not fully swapped out)?

Other than that it seems you've really chased down most possibilities.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
First, I would try calling Titus and seeing if you can get a hold of them directly.

Second, are you saying that you can't shift into the largest cog in the back at all?

I would check your cable stop as well. Mine popped out and was causing some shifting problems.

Don't know what else it could be, unless the carbon stays are warped but that just seems odd.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would check the shim plate on the inside of the drive side dropout. is it missing? this may effect shifting.

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ebeer said:
Bummer! I hate it when shifting is not perfect, can drive a man nuts.

How is the RD cable routed? Seems there are several ways to do it, and I remember seeing a post here a while back from Titus on the proper routing.

Maybe a new hanger (that's the only component not fully swapped out)?

Other than that it seems you've really chased down most possibilities.
Shop replaced the hanger, tried 2 or 3 different once. No change.

The routing is the basic routing that Titus does, rear goes through part of the link.

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vespasianus said:
First, I would try calling Titus and seeing if you can get a hold of them directly.

Second, are you saying that you can't shift into the largest cog in the back at all?

I would check your cable stop as well. Mine popped out and was causing some shifting problems.

Don't know what else it could be, unless the carbon stays are warped but that just seems odd.
The shop has been trying to call. I will if they are not able to get anywhere with it. They are an hour away, so I cannot just go see for myself.

It will go, but about half the time when you shift up it may jump back down a gear or sit there and bump the ramps making all kind of racket.

They said they replaced cables and housings.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Thoughts

I had a friend that changed his own shift cables a few weeks back, his bike did the same thing (although it was a trek), turned out he used brake cable housing (which is compressible so it doenst work for shifting). I doubt your shop is that stupid, but it wouldnt hurt to look. I dont think a short cage der would have any effect like that as long as the chain had enough slack to get up on the large cog. My guess is that there is a spacer missing on the swingarm yolk or your frame took some damage while being shipped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey SXR-Racer and Demo Slug,

I just shot you both a personal message. Take a look at them and drop me a line when you get a chance. I'll do whatever I can to get the issues resolved.

Mikey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Call me please

sxr-racer - I'm not going to go into a whole big thing about how shops misrepresent the degree to which they pursue warranty and repair issues with their vendors, but that's boring industry bullsh!t that nobody cares to hear about. Next time, take Vespasianus' advice and call us directly. As a matter of fact, give me a shout, and I'll explain to you what I think is going on. A part has already been shipped to CC and it should be there in a couple of days.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
sxr-racer said:
The shop has been trying to call. I will if they are not able to get anywhere with it. They are an hour away, so I cannot just go see for myself.

It will go, but about half the time when you shift up it may jump back down a gear or sit there and bump the ramps making all kind of racket.

They said they replaced cables and housings.
That could all be fine but the housing stop popped it's rivet and was loose. Never really noticed it.

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jtylerhill1 said:
sxr-racer - I'm not going to go into a whole big thing about how shops misrepresent the degree to which they pursue warranty and repair issues with their vendors, but that's boring industry bullsh!t that nobody cares to hear about. Next time, take Vespasianus' advice and call us directly. As a matter of fact, give me a shout, and I'll explain to you what I think is going on. A part has already been shipped to CC and it should be there in a couple of days.

-Jason
Thanks Jason. I wanted to give CC time to try and make it right, Yeah, I was only going by what they told me. Personally do not want to call a company and waste their time until I know that the shop has not made any and all efforts to make this right. They left a message a while ago that they have talked to you (Titus) one or two times today and that a hanger was on the way.

Thank you for stepping up and responding.

Harrison

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
sxr-racer said:
Well, ran into an insue on my FTM a month ago. The shifting on the rear cogs started acting up, I have been having issues where it would not want to go up on the large cog, you could coax it with the shifter or use the adjuster (Pain in the rear).
What I find strange is that you can coax it to shift into the large cog, but it won't shift there. If the hangers not bent and you can manually move the derailleur to align with the large cog, I'd think that in most instances the issue would be in the cabling or shifters themselves, or that you bent the large cog. If you have swapped all these out and still have issues, its really strange, especially if the issue just popped up after a period of successful usage.

So the first thing I would check is whether you can manually align the derailleur with the large cog (without the chain) (even to the point of being able to go too far towards the spokes). If you can do this (including using the adjustment screws) then the issue has to be in the cabling or shifters. If you can't, I'd think the issue would be with any of the hanger, derailleur, rear triangle, chainline, or cassette (i.e., bent rear cog).

Without knowing what type of derailleur and shifters you are using makes it difficult to provide anything but a guess. I have also seen shifting issues develop because the housing end caps have split causing the cable to bind. This can be hard to find if your not looking for it.

As an aside, in my experience I have never found a bike shop mechanic to be able to properly set up shifting on my or my friends bikes. What worked on their stands, never translated into good results on the trail.

Good luck hunting down the cause. I'd be interested in hearing what the "cause" was.

I1dry?

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IF you shift all the way up, the chain will go up, but then it may drop back down. If you adjust the derailure using the cable then you can get it to go up just fine, but then you cannot get to the smallest cog. I have been able to get it close but then in mid ride it may started jumping again. Cannot find or get the sweet spot where it works. I am going up the the shop in a bit and will see how it is acting now. As Jason posted, they have already sent out a part (Hanger) that is suppose to help with the shipping.

Titus Rocks.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
sxr-racer said:
IF you shift all the way up, the chain will go up, but then it may drop back down. If you adjust the derailure using the cable then you can get it to go up just fine, but then you cannot get to the smallest cog. I have been able to get it close but then in mid ride it may started jumping again. Cannot find or get the sweet spot where it works. I am going up the the shop in a bit and will see how it is acting now. As Jason posted, they have already sent out a part (Hanger) that is suppose to help with the shipping.

Titus Rocks.
What you are describing doesn't sound like a hanger issue, especially if you can adjust the cable so that the derailleur works well on either the little or big cog. The derailleur has a range of movement that will not change relative to the hanger positioning (i.e., if the hanger is bent).

By adjusting the cable, do you mean adjusting with the barrel adjuster or actually adjusting the cable where it attaches to the derailleur (i.e., adjusting the tension by loosening then retightening the lock screw)?

Also, how long was it working properly before the problems started and what type of derailleur, cables, housing, and shifters are you using?

i1dry?

·
Bike Addiction
763 Posts
I bet if we all got together with a case of brews we could figure this jewel out before we even had to make second beer run!

·
At Work
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i1dry said:
What you are describing doesn't sound like a hanger issue, especially if you can adjust the cable so that the derailleur works well on either the little or big cog. The derailleur has a range of movement that will not change relative to the hanger positioning (i.e., if the hanger is bent).

By adjusting the cable, do you mean adjusting with the barrel adjuster or actually adjusting the cable where it attaches to the derailleur (i.e., adjusting the tension by loosening then retightening the lock screw)?

Also, how long was it working properly before the problems started and what type of derailleur, cables, housing, and shifters are you using?

i1dry?
Barrel adjuster. Spoke with mike with Titus hopefully this will take care of it

1 - 20 of 26 Posts