Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Whistler - Titus Group Ride Venue 2007

Team, are we all in agreeance that we have Whistler area as the area for our group ride this year, also have it late July..........I say meet Monday 30th July, and spend that week.

FM, has some good ideas. We could more or less start in Seattle, ride and move towards Whistler. I would like to do some XC riding, then spend a couple days doing lift assisted stuff... This we can plan ahead.

Main purpose to get some dates established is so we can let Titus know, also so people can put in for holidays and save our pennies....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Is a week too much? Or is it best a Fri, Sat, Sun & Mon?

For us coming from a distance, a week is better for me, really gives time to relax and get into it......

Keep the flow of thoughts going....................

Feel we will get a real good number this year, seeing as now people know it was not a figment of their imaginations...............:D :D But really went ahead and happened...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
Whafe

A week is almost not enough time! Many things to ride and do in a week. Lots of money can be spent in a week as well...:madman: Travel costs can be reduced by travelling in groups and cooking meals in your room. Camping opportunities galore! Lodging prices drop during the summer and are often quite respectable for a resort area...or any area for that matter.

The weekend is a perfect time to explore the surrounding valley trails, squamish, pemberton as the bike park fills up. Mid-week is best for the park. I would suggest people try to make this a week-long trip if you can.

Here is a good site to check for renting privately owned condos...I've used it numerous times with excellent results:
http://www.alluradirect.com/

Here's a link for camping in BC:
http://www.travel-british-columbia.com/whistler/camping/camping_whistler.htm

cheers

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Yep.

Whistler isn't usually super expensive for me- I typically sleep in my van (complete with TV/DVD, coffee maker and bed!) or stay at my good buddies place. Camping up there fills up fast. Getting a unit, splitting mutliple ways to keep the costs down, maybe bring sleeping bags and get a unit with a kitchen to make it even more cost effective.

Beer is incredibly expensive up there- going out or buying beer at the liquor stores is almost the same price. So I usually buy a case in the states on the way up. Killer rides and warm dry summer conditions mean you need plenty of cold beer! Otherwise, it can get expensive real fast.

There are killer alpine lakes all over whistler valley. Nothing beats finishing up a long hard ride, with a dip in a glacial lake and a few cold beers. :)

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Expensive is right.......but most of the hotel/rentals up there have accomadations for easily up to 6 people and kitchens, so best to organize accomadation and bunk buddies early. Big hotel chains up there to, so any of you big point earning Titus owners may want to book a room that way....Booze is just plain expensive here in Canada then in US, so all you yanks comin in bring some flats of your favorite beverage if you don't wanna see sticker shock on a six pack at the whistler liquor store.......

·
GASing
508 Posts
A week sounds good to me. It would be nice to find some shared accommodations. Spending some money on food and drink is par for course when I'm on vacation. I don't feel the need to camp and eat canned beans. After a long day of riding, I'd like my ass powdered, thank you :)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Yep it is expensive from what you are saying. The key is too rent a couple of units etc, split the costs, should work out sweet that way. I am going to plan for one week, well get there and leave over the weekends but have the full week to ride...............

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
I'm keen but that rarely means I can make it happen! Doing some homework from this side to see if i can get my $h!t together. The timing shouldn't be a problem. Been planning a week-long trip to Botswana sometime around June/July but the dates haven't been set so will speak to my mates about that and speak to my partner about MORE leave etc.

Keep you posted!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just a thought

If anybody wants to get to the northwest a little early, there is a 13 mile Super D race in Capitol State Forest (65 mi south of Seattle) on July 21. It is a grass roots racing event in one of the classic Washington riding spots. http://www.capitolforest.com/racesFOCF07.html

Also, for those that may be flying into Seattle, I'll do my best to help, and can probably transport 2 or 3 on the trip, either straight to Whistler or with stops on the way, however this shapes up.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Yeah ha..... With Endo Often & FM in Seattle, we can all be bums and scab lifts with the boys.... Sounds good though Endo Often, thanks for the heads up on that Super D race... Could well time perfect when everyone agrees on a date....

Come on answer the few simple questions, a full week or more 4 days as last time?????

Are we cool with the week of 23rd July, or go with 30th July...

FM, when are the homers having their shin dig this year?

·
searcher
874 Posts
Whafe said:
Yeah ha..... With Endo Often & FM in Seattle, we can all be bums and scab lifts with the boys.... Sounds good though Endo Often, thanks for the heads up on that Super D race... Could well time perfect when everyone agrees on a date....

Come on answer the few simple questions, a full week or more 4 days as last time?????

Are we cool with the week of 23rd July, or go with 30th July...

FM, when are the homers having their shin dig this year?
I would love to go for a whole week, but we have to plan a resting day sometime in the middle... Remember how gutted we were at SlickRock on the last day....
So, you want to spend some time in Seattle, and then move to Whistler?

·
I rode 'Whistler XC'
507 Posts
Again, i'm not making promises, but here's what I have in mind. Just toying with this idea.

I'm coming from afar so would wanna make the most of what is a fairly expensive flight(money don't grow on trees here) so assuming you start the week of the 30th i was thinking flying in the weekend of the 14/15 July, 4-5 days in Fruita, 2 days Moab, roadtripping to Oregon and Washington for some forest ST over the following week and then meeting up with you guys in Seattle and then hit Whistler.

Might just go solo, but if i can get a few buddies together to make my trip more fun, would it be cool if i brought some non-Titus riders to join us in Whistler?

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
MintSauce said:
if i can get a few buddies together to make my trip more fun, would it be cool if i brought some non-Titus riders to join us in Whistler?
Absolutley not!!!!!!!! That would be totally disgusting and frankly I'm offended you even brought up the idea!!!!!!!!! :madmax: :madmax: :madmax: ;)

Some of you people are sicko's!

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
MintSauce said:
i was thinking flying in the weekend of the 14/15 July, 4-5 days in Fruita, 2 days Moab, roadtripping to Oregon and Washington for some forest ST over the following week and then meeting up with you guys in Seattle and then hit Whistler.
Mintsauce, skip all that SW stuff. Two reasons-
  • It will be stupid hot in Moab etc that time of year- potentially over 100d F.
  • The riding here is better, and there is more incredible riding than you could do here in a summer.

Other stuff.

• I live just north of Seattle, very close to I-5. Pretty ideal place to ship bikes and gear, it's all safe here and you guys can pick it up on your way up north, or maybe we can carpool up.
  • The summer riding here in Seattle is some of the best I've done anywhere- especially the XC riding near Mt. Rainer... you guys will crap. Example video- Ranger Creek (r-clk, "save as")
  • I've got a killer van that will help get a crew to a few rides locally.
  • Now with all that good news out of the way. The dates look good but my availability is always subject to "family approval". Won't be a problem, but I can't likely swing a full week either. Maybe a local ride and then a few days up in whistler is likely. I'll probably sleep in my van as usual. The highline will be coming too. Any interest in a shore day?
  • Download this cheap thrills video to get your stoke on for whistler XC. (r-clk, "save as")
  • Hit Geolover up for a galbraith tour day, it's killer there!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I would be totally cool as Kovi mentioned, to do some rides around Seattle, have a rest day, then head up to Whistler.. FM, for sure want a day or 2 on the shore. Am not coming and not doing that... May have to bring the Nicolai for those days... Mah ha ha

Still need some views on the dates that more of us agree with...... As mentioned, would like to let jeff at Titus know, that way they can plan on joining us with the demo bikes etc....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.