Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the titanium / aluminum kit on my Moto-lite. The shock rocker bolts which also hold the seatstays on to front triangle are aluminum. Has anyone ever heard of one of these aluminum bolts failing?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm assuming the kit should be the same for the Racer-X. I figured out ( I think ) the size for the horst links, for the lower shock bolt, the upper shock bolt. Should I also change the two x-link bolts (the 4 black ones are already aluminum so not those)? Should I also change the quad bearing bolt? I didn't pull the crank and haven't peeked behind the chainrings so I don't even know what's holding it on. Thanks.

·
MTB SOCAL
1,456 Posts
Question

dulyebr said:
I just installed the titanium / aluminum kit on my Moto-lite. The shock rocker bolts which also hold the seatstays on to front triangle are aluminum. Has anyone ever heard of one of these aluminum bolts failing?
I was wondering what is included in the ti/al kit, how much weight savings it provides, and how much it costs? Thanks.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
4 rocker bolts, the 2 bolts that hold the shock, the 2 bolts that connect the seatstays to the chainstays and the stock seatbolt clamp (which I've changed to a Salsa QR so couldn't use).

Saves about 85g (3oz.)

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
xl_cheese said:
buy bolts from racebolts.com. They are a LOT cheaper than buying from titus.

While you're at it you can get them for other applications on your bike.
I had a really hard time finding the bolts specific to the Titus frame. I finally gave up and just bought from Red Barn Bicycles. Still cheaper than Titus. At about a dollar for each gram saved it's not too bad of a deal (But, certainly not great either.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
bolt sizing

Vader said:
besides racebolts I've also sourced alot of Ti and Al bolts from www.titaniumfasteners.com and www.hyperbolts.com. Service from all three are pretty good.
Can someone please post the bolt sizes or send me an email with the sizing. I'm also looking to buy the ti bolt upgrade kit but finding it's quite expensive through other sources. :madman:

thanks!

email: [email protected]

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
dulyebr said:
We even run the aluminum bolts on our downhill team bikes. We have NEVER had one fail.
Oh really. Should I post pics?

Well, a benefit to being a sponsored pro is new gear every season, and constant maintenance by a paid mechanic, so I suppose that could be the case. Not so for a regular guy who rides the same bike for years.

Absolutely use a torque wrench with the al linkage bolts. The torque will determine the strength and longevity, and undertorquing is just as bad as too much. When one of them fails, there's going to be collateral damage. . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.