Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
jimmyd
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I just got my Titus Racer X last Friday and have built it up with some nice stuff and will post it shortly in the Racer X Setup Database.

I emailed Titus and they recommended 70% of total body weight + bike gear (ie shoes, helmet etc) for the rear shock.

I weigh 185 fully kitted out and the recommendation comes in at 131psi. I rode the shock on the weekend at 100, then 120, and have put the recommended 131psi in today at lunch time and did the "down the street gutter test".

I guess what I am after is everybody's riding weight and the pressure applied in the rear shock.

I am aware that it also depends on riding style, bike setup etc, so if you could add that in it would be useful as well.

For information I started racing in 1989 back when suspension and clipless weren't around. I have owned over 30 different bikes including BMX, Downhill, and road. I like to ride and race aggresively, don't mind the odd 2 wheel drift etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Of course I can figure it out over time ((this is my 8th full suspension bike) but it is always good to fasttrack the process and get people's ideas and concepts.

cheers
James

·
Registered
699 Posts
Well we just had an interesting discussion of this over on the RP23 Post. Seems we all ride at pretty different pressures. I weigh probably 185-190lb fully geared, but I run about 120psi in my shock on an RX. I have a Push RP23 which is modified from Fox's design. I believe they use a Vanilla bushing kit and different seals. I run about 20% sag at this point, but my shock is still fairly new so maybe it's an issue with break in. I'll let ya know if it changes over time. :confused:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
The RP23 discussion was directed at Motolites with a different leverage ratio but if you read closely the Racer X owners in the post seem to have similar pressure info.

I am 155 lbs and I run my RP3 modified by PUSH at 90 psi. I use 25% sag.

It looks like the 70% figure is a bit high. Looks more like 60% drom DD and myself.

·
jimmyd
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all
Just had the first ride with the shock set at 70% body weight as recommended for XC racing by Titus. The bike has that firm , but plush feel that allows for hammering when it gets rough while seated. It feels a lot better for climbing and hammering than when it was set a lot plusher - which is how it should be this far up.

I took it on the Australian Titles course this morning, and it performed flawlessly, however there is a lot of fireroad climbing and less technical singletrack than I envisaged.

Out of the 7.3 KM there are probably 3km of fireroad climbs. That is where the race will be sorted no doubt

I will probably set up the hardtail for the race though as the weight penalty does not present an advantage at this time which is a shame as the previous course they had was perfect for full suspension.

anyway, keep the comments coming in

cheers
James

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just to chime in, geared up, I weight 155-160lbs and I had my rp3 on my 05 racer-x at 95 psi. With my 07 racer-x w/ rp23, I'm using 90 psi. It's still new as can be, so I'm sure they will be break in. But as Asahi was saying, something closer to 60% seems more like what I want. According to Titus when I spoke to them, they said to setup via sag...but unfortunately I forgot the amount they suggested.

·
jimmyd
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi again
Well the week after the Australian Titles and my plan went south. I built up the hardtail, did a lap and discovered that the headtube had a crack in the weld.

So I redid the Titus and raced it. Having brochitis did nothing for me and it sucked but at least finished in the top half of the field.

My girfriend won Sport class on her Titus Racer X which was pretty awesome for her 2nd XC race.

I ran the rear sock at 140 psi and it seemed to go quite well. The course was dry, dusty and massive DH course style breaking bumps formed. The bike performed flawlessly. I was blown and needed 3 days off work!!!

I need to probably lighten up some parts because at 24.75lbs it is just a bit weighty. With a wheel change and some judicious part swapping I will be able to get it down to 23lbs, at which stage I think it will be perfect.

Thanks to all of you for your advice as I really appreciate it

cheers
James

·
Registered
30 Posts
100x

jimmyd said:
Hi guys
I just got my Titus Racer X last Friday and have built it up with some nice stuff and will post it shortly in the Racer X Setup Database.

I emailed Titus and they recommended 70% of total body weight + bike gear (ie shoes, helmet etc) for the rear shock.

I weigh 185 fully kitted out and the recommendation comes in at 131psi. I rode the shock on the weekend at 100, then 120, and have put the recommended 131psi in today at lunch time and did the "down the street gutter test".

I guess what I am after is everybody's riding weight and the pressure applied in the rear shock.

I am aware that it also depends on riding style, bike setup etc, so if you could add that in it would be useful as well.

For information I started racing in 1989 back when suspension and clipless weren't around. I have owned over 30 different bikes including BMX, Downhill, and road. I like to ride and race aggresively, don't mind the odd 2 wheel drift etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Of course I can figure it out over time ((this is my 8th full suspension bike) but it is always good to fasttrack the process and get people's ideas and concepts.

cheers
James
I run my Hammerhead 100x w Push modified float shock between 130 and 140lbs from plush to firm and I am close to your wieght.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.