Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a used 05' Epic but am experiencing fit difficulties. I purchased a longer thomson stem and have tried different seats, but am still unable to get comfortable for the long ride. I am riding a medium and the large is simply just that. So, I have considered switching to a Titus Racer X. I've heard nothing but great things about this bike. I do ride mostly all cross country and do enjoy the Specialized ride quality, but need a bike that fits. Can anyone provide feedback on the Titus and or a good comparison of the two bikes???

·
Registered
104 Posts
I cant properly answer that question as I havent actually compared those two bikes in different sizes and I'me sure there arent many who can, however I do someone that can more than likely give you the information you are looking for strait up.
There is a moderator at www.pinkbike.com by the screen name of 'RMR' go to that site and post this question in the 'cross country' section of the forum and he is bound to answer you in the next couple of days.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
MknzBikR: How tall are you and what's your inseam & what size frame are you riding?

I'm 5'10" w/32 inseam. I started off demo'ing the Medium Specialized Epic because that's what I ride on a Giant road bike. It seemed fine in the reach, but I felt like I needed to move the seat back. Later I decided the Large put me more in the center of the bike. The seat felt perfectly placed, but now I feel like I have to reach a bit for the handlebars. I figured a shorter stem would be the answer.

If you like how the bike rides, have you considered stem length or saddle position?

Also, I know flattening the lower back can make a big difference in getting into the proper position on a road bike and making the fit feel right. I don't know if the same is true on a mtn bike.

·
Registered
627 Posts
05 Epic Comp vs 05 Racer X

I rode and 05 Epic Comp this past season and really liked the bike. It took some getting used to, but once dialed it, it was great. My only complaint, and this is during very specific circumstances, is when the rear activates on a certain bump, it stays open for a little bit, and I feel it bob around. I'd notice this while climbing. When it's mostly smooth, the rear is rock solid and super efficient. When I'd ride over a rock or root or something like that to activate the rear, I'd feel the rear end compress and soften the blow from the obstacle. By design of the Brain shock, it's supposed to stay open for another second or two (assuming no new obstacles are hit). During those seconds, it'd bob around. A minor complaint I think. Great bike, can't say what the 06 does with the adjustment.

Now for the Racer X. I recently got my hands on a new 05 Racer X with 06 RP3 shock on it about a month or two ago. It's taking some adjustment (still messing with stem length) but I do enjoy the fully active nature of the rear. I know how it will react at all times, and it doesn't have the suddenly open feeling and bobbing sensation. Overall, I can notice some bob when I look down at the rear while climbing, but if I don't look, I certainly don't feel it sapping away my energy. So far, great ride. Just a few more tweaks and I should be good. I think I will like this bike better because it is almost your perfect balance between cross country racer and trail bike. Not to bash the Epic or anything, I really liked that bike when I had it.

As for fitting, I know there's lots of debate for the proper fit. What I do, is adjust the saddle first. Move it forward or back appropriately in order to get your knee over the pedal axle when in the 3:00/9:00 position in the crank arms. The height should be such that you're near full extension when the arm is fully down @ 6:00. After this is done, then mess with the front end. Try to do only one change at a time and keep the changes small. Changing the stem length by 10mm and changing the height via spacers have major impacts on the ride characteristics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also 5'10" with a 32" inseam and feel the exact same way about the fit of the Epics. The large, however, simply felt a little too large, almost like a cruiser or 29er. I was riding a 17" Manitou Hardtail until a cracked it. That frame was very compact, which is prabably why I like the feel of the medium.

As for as the stem and saddle...I purchased a Thomson 120 with a WTB Ti seat and it is moved all the way back. I find myself on the very back of the saddle nearly the entire time. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
819 Posts
hoosierdaddy1577 said:
I am also 5'10" with a 32" inseam and feel the exact same way about the fit of the Epics. The large, however, simply felt a little too large, almost like a cruiser or 29er. I was riding a 17" Manitou Hardtail until a cracked it. That frame was very compact, which is prabably why I like the feel of the medium.

As for as the stem and saddle...I purchased a Thomson 120 with a WTB Ti seat and it is moved all the way back. I find myself on the very back of the saddle nearly the entire time. Thanks for the response.
I test rode a FSR, Epic and Racer 80X before I bought my Racer 100X. I liked the fit of the Racer X best. I had a stumperjumper comp (or pro) hardtail in 2000 that always felt too big for me. I had the same feeling of riding too high while on the bike too. The Specialized bikes I tried this round felt the same either too big or too small but the Racer X felt the most like the bike it was replacing which I loved, loved, loved.
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam and I would suggest you go with the Racer 100X if it fits you better. I ride a medium with a 10 degree 110 thomson stem and a semi set back post (about .5") and the bike fits great. I use flat bars and not riser bars. I wish the top tube was a bit lower but with your extra 2" you should have less clearance issues.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Racer-X!

From what I can tell so far, the Racer-X is a great all around bike. I haven't raced it and don't plan to until the spring, but from what I can see, it's very race-able. I really enjoyed the Epic when I had it and for the money, it's a great bike. I believe the Racer-X is a lighter frame, so if that matters, keep that in mind. I'm working on getting the fit just right on the Racer-X. I have the Aluminum version. My bike comes in at just over 25lbs w/o anything stupid light. I'd feel more than comfortable in terms of durability for doing 24hr racers and other endurance type things. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.