Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beep, Beep...
Joined
·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I am going to buy a nwe bike soon. There are three choices:

1) Titus Racer X
2) Intense Spider
3) Blur XC

I want a light full suspension bike for xc race. I would really appreciate your comments and points of view abouth these bikes (strenghts and weaknesses). Actually, I am riding a Yeti AS-SR SL and it is great.

Many Thanks,

Fidel.
 

·
www.derbyrims.com
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
vizcaino said:
Hi everybody,

I am going to buy a nwe bike soon. There are three choices:

1) Titus Racer X
2) Intense Spider
3) Blur XC

I want a light full suspension bike for xc race. I would really appreciate your comments and points of view abouth these bikes (strenghts and weaknesses). Actually, I am riding a Yeti AS-SR SL and it is great.

Many Thanks,

Fidel.
Your AS-SR SL is as quick or quicker than the slightly heavier base Racer-X, there are no Horst-link type XC race bikes quicker than your Yeti, except possibly the auto-lockout Epic when on smooth high traction terrain.

The excellent traction and most efficient acceleration VPP design Blur is a bit quicker at standing pedaling in the middle and big rings than either. Although the lighter very efficient Yeti might be just as quick, and quicker up steep climbs.

The Spider is nearly 1/2 pound lighter than the others with a frame weight at near 5.5 pounds and quicker accelerating than all other suspension XC race bikes including lock-out and firm platform types, its also very quick handling and stable at speed.

The Intense Spider is the most race efficent production XC bike ever made.

All are great bikes.

- ray
 

·
MTB'er
Joined
·
649 Posts
derby said:
The Intense Spider is the most race efficent production XC bike ever made.

- ray
Yeah, sure...how is it then than you cannot find a XC racer in the podium who rides an Intense Spider? For sure is a good XC bike but "the most race efficient"? C'mon...
 

·
..probably out riding..
Joined
·
182 Posts
get which ever one has the best warranty... no, seriously, a buddy of mine has ridden both the racer x ti and the racer x and even though they are the same geometry, the racer x ti rides much better. Ride them all and pick the one that feels the best.
 

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
Joined
·
3,268 Posts
Titus makes a 29er Racer-X

Intense is developing a Spider 29er

Santa Cruz ain't even considering a 29er.
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
I think there's a Santa Cruz distributor in Mexico, so probably if you have budget consideration the Blur would be the cheapest. As to the bikes, I don't know about them, but I'm partial to Titus, so I would suggest the RX, but I'm not at war with my wallet, so Santa Cruz would have a good plus in Mexico.

See Santa Cruz site and I think you can find there the dealer in Mexico.
 

·
ಠ_ಠ
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Not to be disagreeable, but I believe the 2006 Titus Racer-X is 5.5lbs for a Medium. The 06 has new carbon seatstays and a wider (and lighter I think) chainstay.

derby said:
Your AS-SR SL is as quick or quicker than the slightly heavier base Racer-X, there are no Horst-link type XC race bikes quicker than your Yeti, except possibly the auto-lockout Epic when on smooth high traction terrain.

The excellent traction and most efficient acceleration VPP design Blur is a bit quicker at standing pedaling in the middle and big rings than either. Although the lighter very efficient Yeti might be just as quick, and quicker up steep climbs.

The Spider is nearly 1/2 pound lighter than the others with a frame weight at near 5.5 pounds and quicker accelerating than all other suspension XC race bikes including lock-out and firm platform types, its also very quick handling and stable at speed.

The Intense Spider is the most race efficent production XC bike ever made.

All are great bikes.

- ray
 

·
Get out of town!
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
I am wondering why you would want to ditch your Yeti? That bike is as good for your riding style as the ones you have listed. Is it an older bike that you are riding?
 

·
Beep, Beep...
Joined
·
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jsnk1975 said:
I am wondering why you would want to ditch your Yeti? That bike is as good for your riding style as the ones you have listed. Is it an older bike that you are riding?
The Yeti is great, one of the best bikes I have ever ridden (comfortable, quick and great) !!!. It is a 05 model and I don´t want to ditch it, I just want to have another bike for XC race. Usually I spend some weekends in Mexico City and others in Guanajuato and I want to have one XC race bike in each place.
 

·
thats right living legend
Joined
·
6,360 Posts
All Right!

vizcaino said:
The Yeti is great, one of the best bikes I have ever ridden (comfortable, quick and great) !!!. It is a 05 model and I don´t want to ditch it, I just want to have another bike for XC race. Usually I spend some weekends in Mexico City and others in Guanajuato and I want to have one XC race bike in each place.
Now we'r talken, I like you're style my man , just wish I had you"re wallett. Keep in mind I'm a Titus guy but I talked to a guy on the trail a couple months agoe who had owned both a Racer X and Spider at the same time. He said he got rid of the Spider cause it just didn't feel as solid. The Spider is a fabulas bike though and certanly doesn't need my endorsment. I'm just telling you what one guy said.
 

·
Get out of town!
Joined
·
1,442 Posts
vizcaino said:
The Yeti is great, one of the best bikes I have ever ridden (comfortable, quick and great) !!!. It is a 05 model and I don´t want to ditch it, I just want to have another bike for XC race. Usually I spend some weekends in Mexico City and others in Guanajuato and I want to have one XC race bike in each place.
Fair enough - have fun looking! :) I just got a 06 Racerx X 100 and it is beautiful. I haven't got it built up yet but I'm sure it will live up to the hype.
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
blackagness said:
Now we'r talken, I like you're style my man , just wish I had you"re wallett. Keep in mind I'm a Titus guy but I talked to a guy on the trail a couple months agoe who had owned both a Racer X and Spider at the same time. He said he got rid of the Spider cause it just didn't feel as solid. The Spider is a fabulas bike though and certanly doesn't need my endorsment. I'm just telling you what one guy said.
Last sunday I rode a Blur XC. It's a very good bike, it's plush and it has great handling..... that said, I think my Moto Lite rides a little better, maybe not so plush but if feels firmer and more stronger. I think both bikes could be built with similar weight, but I don't really know the frame weight of either.

This is what I think, but most bikes adapt different to diferent riders styles and preferences. If I had to buy another bike (I don't, at least for now, you know our common friend UGI ;)), I would probably consider Turner (maybe the RFX), Santa Cruz (Nomad), or I don't know which other. But I really don't want to think too much on it (my wallet sure doesn't want me to think on it).

Probably the Racer-X has some advantages on the Moto Lite for XC, but the ML is cheaper.

In Rutaextrema (http://mx.groups.yahoo.com/group/rutaextrema/) there is a post from a guy that says that he handles Santa Cruz in Mexico. I have no idea how reliable he is, but just check it out.

Maybe Jorge de Avila at Bici y Montaña can also sells Santa Cruz. Contact him via www.biciymontana.com. I've rode a lot with him and he's good, and can give you a good build.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
5 lbs for the Racer-X with Ti bolt kit

A medium 2006 Racer-X with the carbon seatstays and the ti bolt kit will run 5 lbs or a little less. It's one of the toughest full suspensions out there and with the new upgrades there aren't many full suspension frames that can come close to it. But, the retail is about $1800.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top