Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Just give me hardpack
Joined
·
99 Posts
I kept the HH100x

Rode a Blur since they came out in 2002/3, switched to a HH at the beginning of this year. Had a chance to ride them both for a while - and kept the HH. Both are good bikes and it depends a bit on what you're looking for. Biggest difference overall for me was that the size of the HH suited me better.

Blur is plusher (much plusher) - very noticeable over very rough terrain. BUT, Blur's pivots bearings don't last, pedal feedback in granny is irritating and it has a tendency to 'jack-knife' through rolling dips (sorted a bit when I 'pushed' the fox on it).

HH has a racier feel to it - it pedals better, and has zero feedback in climbing and steering is SHARP. I think a Racer X with the lower BB will be even more so. With a 110mm fork (or a Reba U-turn as I ride now) though it is much easier to handle on steep descents than with it's optimal 100mm. No problems with pivots.

I think the Racer X, or perhaps particularly the HH is closest to the Blur 'classic', so depends on what Blur you're talking about now though. With the classic gone I think you'd have to compare it to the Blur XC. As a race bike it comes down to personal preference re suspension action I'd think. As an alrounder that one can race I think the Titus is better.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've Been Comparing It To Blur XC But Haven't Ridden Ethier Yet

NoMud said:
HH has a racier feel to it - it pedals better, and has zero feedback in climbing and steering is SHARP. I think the Racer X, or perhaps particularly the HH is closest to the Blur 'classic', so depends on what Blur you're talking about now though. With the classic gone I think you'd have to compare it to the Blur XC. As a race bike it comes down to personal preference re suspension action I'd think. As an alrounder that one can race I think the Titus is better.
I'm on a Blur Classic RP3/Reba/Spinergy Xyclone Disc. I'm thinking about adding another bike so if one is down I have another but it must climb real well (out of the saddle), but is lighter and I will probably put another Front:Reba Rear:Mc3r or Fox Rp3 on it and use the Poplock for long fire road climbs. I'm comparing the Blur XC and the Titus RX on stats now. (Ethier a large XC or Med. RX [generous TT length]). Really I haven't had a chance to ride either yet. But I climb out of the saddle allot on fireroad climbs and am looking for a FS design that pedals well when in that mode alot of the time. (Out of the saddle climbing on the RX w/Mac Strut? (or Blur XC with Vpp ?) Maybe I would put an Rp3 on the Titus and get the guys at Push to tune it with one setting for fireroads. I have no more bearing problems on the Blur. (Have to baby em with a bearing cover and grease). I wonder the weight comparison with 2006 med. ano, carbon triangled RX compared to large Blur Xc (I weighed a large powerdercoat Xc frame at 5.9 lbs).

Thanks for the great reply and great picture !!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
gehulme said:
Does anyone have a Titus Racer-X and a SC Blur ? Could they compare the ride of the two in differing siduations ? Which one do they ride most of the time etc.

Thanks
Not exactly apples to apples here but I've been riding a spider the last few years and before that I was on a racer -x...the type w/o the X-link. The spider is definitely the better descender of the two. Seated climbing I would go with the spider but, as far as a singletrack machine I would go with the racer-x. Steering is MUCH sharper! And the Vpp bikes do have their problems w/linkages and such. And there is something to be said as to riding a simple bike! I always looked at the spider as "too complicated" Too much to pay attention too. I've never ridden a blur but from what I gather the spider has a stiffer rear triangle and is a bit heavier than the blur.

As for the new racer-x's I'm a little upset that they are being built in asia. That was kind of selling point to me...the whole support the usa. I'm sure the quality is as good as it was in AZ but the fact that they are raising the prices on it just sucks! Probably isn't helping you but if i were to do it again...I wouldn't go vpp.
 

·
K n e e m o i
Joined
·
506 Posts
gehulme said:
I'm on a Blur Classic RP3/Reba/Spinergy Xyclone Disc. I'm thinking about adding another bike so if one is down I have another but it must climb real well (out of the saddle), but is lighter and I will probably put another Front:Reba Rear:Mc3r or Fox Rp3 on it and use the Poplock for long fire road climbs. I'm comparing the Blur XC and the Titus RX on stats now. (Ethier a large XC or Med. RX [generous TT length]). Really I haven't had a chance to ride either yet. But I climb out of the saddle allot on fireroad climbs and am looking for a FS design that pedals well when in that mode alot of the time. (Out of the saddle climbing on the RX w/Mac Strut? (or Blur XC with Vpp ?) Maybe I would put an Rp3 on the Titus and get the guys at Push to tune it with one setting for fireroads. I have no more bearing problems on the Blur. (Have to baby em with a bearing cover and grease). I wonder the weight comparison with 2006 med. ano, carbon triangled RX compared to large Blur Xc (I weighed a large powerdercoat Xc frame at 5.9 lbs).

Thanks for the great reply and great picture !!!!!!!!!!!
The 2006 RX frame is definitely lighter than the blur Xc. I don't know by how much though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
preparation_h said:
As for the new racer-x's I'm a little upset that they are being built in asia. That was kind of selling point to me...the whole support the usa. I'm sure the quality is as good as it was in AZ but the fact that they are raising the prices on it just sucks! Probably isn't helping you but if i were to do it again...I wouldn't go vpp.
I can't believe I'm even replying to this but here goes. The Racer X has NEVER been made nor is currently made in Asia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
preparation_h said:
So they aren't being produced in taiwan? Thought I had seen a million threads stating they were.
You will notice that many of the people who have started those threads have since been banned for trolling.

edit: I forgot to answer you're question. The Racer-X is built in Tempe, that's in Arizona next to Phoenix, in the United States of America. ;)
 

·
Bike to the Bone...
Joined
·
8,290 Posts
preparation_h said:
So they aren't being produced in taiwan? Thought I had seen a million threads stating they were.
There was a troll who said all Titus Aluminium bikes were built in Asia, but that wasn't true. Ok, the Moto Lite was outsourced to Kinesys, who built them (don't know if still do) in Oregon, but Kinesys decided that it was closing his plant in Oregon and moving their production to Taiwan. But as far as I know, it's only on the Moto Lite 06 model, and it IS CHEAPER than '05. A ML '05 with the float was the same as a ML 06 with the RP3, and there was about a 110 usd difference between those models last year. And this would just be for the AL version. Titanium and Exogrid are still USA made.
 

·
K n e e m o i
Joined
·
506 Posts
preparation_h said:
So they aren't being produced in taiwan? Thought I had seen a million threads stating they were.
Since this was your "selling point" I guess you can now go out and buy one, now that it is confirmed that the bike is indeed USA made. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
770 Posts
Daffunda said:
Since this was your "selling point" I guess you can now go out and buy one, now that it is confirmed that the bike is indeed USA made. :rolleyes:
I didn't say that was my "selling point" I said it was a "selling point". Wouldn't you rather employee you neighbors than someone overseas. Perhaps you like paying more for unemployment insurance. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I Ask The Question To Titus And Santa Cruz

preparation_h said:
I didn't say that was my "selling point" I said it was a "selling point". Wouldn't you rather employee you neighbors than someone overseas. Perhaps you like paying more for unemployment insurance. :rolleyes:
I ask the question a few weeks ago to the email address the Titus president posted here where each particular frame will be made (also ask the same question to Santa Cruz). After 3 emails even one with quotes from their company president Titus has never responded. Scott Turner of SC reponded with a detailed list the next day after only one email. It is a very big selling point to me. Not only where made, but responding to customers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
819 Posts
gehulme said:
I ask the question a few weeks ago to the email address the Titus president posted here where each particular frame will be made (also ask the same question to Santa Cruz). After 3 emails even one with quotes from their company president Titus has never responded. Scott Turner of SC reponded with a detailed list the next day after only one email. It is a very big selling point to me. Not only where made, but responding to customers.
Have you thought about an Ellsworth? As far as I know they're all made in the US and may even be made in house now. I suspect you may even get better customer service from Ellsworth than Titus right now. Ellsworth had some issues in the past but recent posts on the Ellsworth forum lead me to believe they working hard on fixing things there and the quality of their bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I have ridden both

I got an SC Blur and a Racer X loaner from 2 different shops and put about 20 miles on each. They were both last year's model. I road cross country single track and fire road. Here is what I thought.

Blur:
Great down hill bike seemed to accelerate down hill very well. Seem to have a heavy rear end for bunny hopping. The rear end always stayed low when I jumped it. If you look at the bike there is allot going on in the rear suspension.

Racer-X
Best climbing bike I had been on. It was very good on single track and very responsive.

I ended up putting a Racer-X 100 on order. They say it will come this month, I am looking for cross country light weight racing bike. If you lean more to free ride or high speed down hill you may prefer the Blur. Both are great bikes.

Keep the rubber on the trail.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top