Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally got around to getting the Motolite front end converted. The wheel build consisted of: DT Hayes Hugi 20mm disc hub, Sun EQ27 rim, DT Champion spokes, NeoMoto 2.35, running ghetto tubeless using a cut 24" tube rim strip. Since I have enjoyed riding the old RockShox Revelation air u-turn, I picked up the 09 Rev Maxle with the same options.

The wheel built up just fine, aside from my messing up the spoke pattern a couple times. The third time was the charm though, and everything just fell into place and it turned out quite nice requiring just a bit of tuning and dish adjustment. Not having a lot of wheel building experience I was hesitant to do this myself, but I'm glad I did not pawn this off to a shop, it's really not that difficult if you just take your time and go step by step. It's a hellova lot cheaper too :D

After cutting the rim strip to size and installing, I test fit the NeoMoto onto the rim and it went on so easily, that I was concerned I may have issues running this combo tubeless. I've never had a tire fit this loosely on a rim before. I also test fit a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 and the fit was the same, so it seems that the EQ27 just runs a bit small in diameter. My fears were realized when I was unable to inflate the tire using my standard Walmart compressor, which has never failed to inflate a tubeless tire up until this point. A quick trip to the corner station solved that problem in short order though, and I got that reassuring "pop" when the bead snapped into place. After 4 days or so the pressure has held very strong and little sealant had leaked. I am still concerned about the loose fit causing problems on the trail, but only time will tell.

I left plenty of room on the steerer to make stem adjustments, I am going to initially try it in the same height position it was before, but I've got at least a half inch of drop if necessary. Also, since I'm at about the upper limit of rider size for the Medium frame, I have been looking for a Large frame to swap, which would give me a little more wheelbase and room for adjustment . I think I'll hold off on that until I can get some rides in though, it may turn out that the Medium will work just fine. I do tend to prefer smaller frames with more flickable handling. I also left the fork at the old 125mm setting, may and up dropping that down a bit as well.

Other info: rear tire (still) is a 2.2 Cinder, and my old 26" front was a Rampage 2.35. Everything else on the bike remains the same. I really wish this frame could handle a 650b out back but it's a no-go. I hope to hit some of my favorite local Vegas trails in the next few days and be able to give a ride report. Definitely stoked to go roll over some rocks. Sorry for the crappy garage shots, will try to address that when I'm out on the trail as well...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was able to get out for a couple rides, and I'm definitely digging the better rollover ability so far :D Nice improvement through the rock gardens and slower rocky technical descents, and even through parts I didn't expect as much like sand and loose over hardpack. I didn't really notice much of a loss in the handling department, even through very tight switchbacks, probably because the weight and wheelbase are unchanged.

I put about 25psi in the Neo-Moto and it held up great in all conditions, very similar performance to the Rampage I was running. It seems like the Neo has a slightly harder compound, but it still bites the rocks very well and the release is predictable. No issues with burping or losing pressure during the ride. So far this tire is holding air and fluid extremely well, hardly any loss at all in the last couple weeks, just a couple small green beads here and there.

Still need to let the fork break in and get things dialed, but so far so good! :rockon:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
derby said:
Looks like the rear might clear!
I test fit a 2.6 Kenda Kinetics, and it did fit but only barely. I thought this might be promising news, but Shiggy informed me that those were the old Kenda sizes, and it would surely not be enough for a 650b. That 2.6 is more like a 2.5, and I hear you need to clear a 2.7 in order to fit 650b. I would still like to shove a 2.1 back there though and see if I can get lucky :D

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Nice feel isn't it! Almost no difference in nimble handling compared to 26" but much better rolling and cornering traction than the minor wheel size gain would predict. After a few good rides with 650b try going back to 26" to really feel the difference.

Did you adjust your fit to compensate for the slacker frame with the 1/2 inch of increased radius with a 650b wheel?

Lowering the bars 1/2 inch and bumping the seat forward 1/4 inch and up a little to maintain leg and arm reach maintains your weight center as it was with 26" front wheel. This fit adjustment made the most difference when climbing for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.