Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tobman said:
Can anyone tell me what the weight is of a stock build M-L?
According to Eric @ Titus a med. ML w/ an RP3 weighs approximately 5.95 #'s. The FAQ section on the Titus website claims a weight of 5.9 #'s for the same frame.

I can't confirm either one of these weights as I'm still waiting, along with a lot of other folks, for my frame to arrive.

·
Dan
84 Posts
Just got an Ultimate digital scale (very cool, clamps into a bike stand) Weight for my med ML is 26.8 pounds, with pedals, bottle cage, and computer. Build is as follows:

X0 twist shift
XO rear
XTR front
XT cassette
Talus (push'd)
rp3 (push'd)
stans z355 rims, 32 hole straight gauge spokes, DT 240 hubs
Kenda Nevagal 2.1's front and rear
Stans sealant (no tubes)
Time ATAC XS pedals
WTB saddle (rocket v stealth)
Thompson post
Race face Deux stem and Next XC carbon 25" bar lowrise
Race face Deux crank/bottom bracket
Marta sl brakes

Without the bottle cage and computer, it is 26.5 with pedals. Overall it is a sturdy build for me, and I am a clydesdale (I don't do drops, though). Carbon bars were the one point of concern, but I liked the race face design (some sort of mesh over the clamp areas) and the size and rise of that bar, and so far no worries...

·
Dan
84 Posts
One interesting thing on the Nevegal's - I ordered two of them, and weighed them before mounting them - front one was 670 and rear one was 680 (weighed on a digital postal scale). I ended up destroying the front tire (and rim) in an incident where my bike fell partially off my rack and the front wheel dragged behind my car. The replacement Nevegal 2.1 front tire I ordered weighed in at 630 g (which is Kenda's claimed weight for a Nevegal 2.1, I think)

I then sliced the sidewall of the rear tire in a rock garden in Allamuchy. I ordered two more Nevegal 2.1's (one to mount and one spare). Those two came in and weighed 570 each. Surprised, I weighed the tire I was replacing again to ensure the scale was still accurate, and it weighed the same as it had originally (680), so the scale had not changed.

So if 630 is the designed weight, then my real-life experience with these tires is a fluctuation of about +/- 10%:- two @ -10% (570), one right on (630), and two @+10% (670/680). That seems significant, and makes me wonder about quality control at Kenda. Performance of these tires has been great, though...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Yeah....

de00304 said:
So if 630 is the designed weight, then my real-life experience with these tires is a fluctuation of about +/- 10%:- two @ -10% (570), one right on (630), and two @+10% (670/680). That seems significant, and makes me wonder about quality control at Kenda. Performance of these tires has been great, though...
Of course I always seem to get the +10% ones..... sigh....

·
Paper or plastic?
10,743 Posts
dulyebr said:
here's my build, which on paper should be heavier than de00304's, but I just re-weighed it after a few minor changes and it came to 26.8 lbs. as well. I have tuned most of the bolts with aluminum and titanium where appropriate.
Small ML with RP3 and freeride lowers
Talas RL fork
Thomson stem
RaceFace carbon low riser handlebar
Lock ons grips
Juicy 7 (180 fr, 160 rear)
Wheels: DT onyx hub + 717 disc rims
Tires: Intense System 4 2.25 front, Nevegal 2.1 rear, both mounted with Stan
WTB saddle (not ti)
Gravity dropper seatpost
RaceFace Atlas crankset
X.0 twist shifters
XT front der., SRAM X.9 rear der.
XT cassette
Crank Bros Mallet M pedals

It's about 30#

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Is the Ti Exogrid ML any lighter? It looks soooooo cool. If it is (even if it's not) and the price is around $2000 I think I would lean that way instead of a El Satly. You get custom ti fit, built in house, AND the horst link (not that that matters anymore :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
509 Posts
KRob said:
Is the Ti Exogrid ML any lighter? It looks soooooo cool. If it is (even if it's not) and the price is around $2000 I think I would lean that way instead of a El Satly. You get custom ti fit, built in house, AND the horst link (not that that matters anymore :rolleyes: )
Some serious dough required here. A custom Ti Exogrid ML would set you back approximately $3,800.00 and a custom Ti ML retails for approximately $2,800.00. And yes, this pricing is for frames only.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
Not a stock build but...

My girlfriend's small ML weighs 25.5 pounds.

Small frame with RP3 and complete ti bolt kit
03 Fox Talas RLC, PUSHed
XTR centerlock hubs, Mavic X3.1 tubless rims
XTR dual control shifter/brake levers
XTR FD, ti clamp/fixing bolts
XTR RD, ti fixing bolt
XTR calipers, with ti mounting bolts
XTR centerlock rotors
XTR ti cassette
Salsa steel QR's
WTB 2.1 tubless Weirwolfs
XTR 172.5 Octalink cranks with XT 5 bolt spider and rings, ti chainring bolts
XTR Octalink BB with ti bolts
WTB ti Laser She saddle
Crank Bro's Candy ti pedals
Thomson post, trimmed with ti bolts
Thomson 90* stem, ti bolts
Easton Monkeylite XC, trimmed
Salsa chile pepper grips, trimmed
SRAM hollow pin chain
King HS with ti lower race and ti top cap

When I built the bike up, I wasn't too concerned with weight. I was mostly having fun pimpin' her ride. 95% of the components were bought VERY lightly used or new off the classifieds here at MTBR.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,281 Posts
KRob said:
Well, if you want to pay 3,850 for Moto Lite Exogrid it would be a very NIICCEE bike.

I don't know about weight for the Exogrid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.