Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In hopes of getting unbiased opinions I decided to ask here rather than the Titus forum. Some background. I'm currently riding a rigid KHS Alite and at 50 years old it's kicking my ass. I'm 6', 200 pounds, not too much of an aggresive rider and my trails are mostly hardpacked with alot of roots. Theres a mixture of easy singletrack and some pretty technical sections tossed in.

I want to build a FS bike, (long term project as my paycheck allows) and it will be somewhat of a high end bike. XO, X9, X7, King headset level. My budget goal is 4k and thats including robbing some of the parts off the rigid like the XT H2 crank/BB, X9 shifters, X9 RD, X7 FD, Thomson elite stem, seatpost, saddle etc. Basically all I will need is the frame, wheelset, brakes and forks. The Titus ML2 frame is $1995 so that would leave me with about 2k left over for this build. For the fork I am leaning towards a Reba and that will be my first purchase. (I plan on putting it on the rigid so Ill have something to ride untill I build the new bike) I havent decided on the wheels yet. Feel free to pipe in on anything I have posted so far but now Ill get down to what I really want to know.

Is the Titus ML2 frame really worth $1995? From the pics I have seen I have fallen in love with that frame! :p Any negative's from any of yall that have ridden one? How is the ride compared to say a Speshy FSR XC with a simular 4 bar link design?

I'm open to other frame suggestions as long as they look simular and dont have that "Walking Stick Bug" look of how the rear shock is mounted vertical with a huge ass linkage. (Sorry Trek and Giant guys). And 29er guys need not apply! :D (Been around here for awhile) :thumbsup:

Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The Titus Motolite is a nice frame, I have never riden one but am a fan of Titus bikes.

I currently ride a 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT, which I absolutely love, I have it built nice light and use it for aggresive XC and Trail riding, and the bikes is an absolute dream. It handles great, with good small bump compliance, and climbs like a goat. SO obviously I would recommend checking out the Blur LT.

Are you set on a five inch travel bike? If you don't need 5 inches, than check out the Blur XC, the Rocky Mountain Element, the Titus Racer X, and th e Yeti AS-R

For other 5 inch travel bikes I would also look at the Yeti 575 and the Rocky Mountain ETSX.

Cheers

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
Titus/Specialized comparisons

This is a popular comparison request.
Look here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421562 and

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=302079

Of course there is a bigger difference in who makes each one:
Titus, a small, limited production, high-end only, innovative frame maker, and Specialized, one of the largest bike companies in the world.

Titus has $300-$500 trade-in program right now if you have an old mtb frame to give to Trips for Kids.

Reba isn't the first choice for Motolites. Something like the RockShox Revelation or Fox Talas are more typical.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob. I have allready read the first thread and read the second link after you posted it. The last few days I have been lurking around the Titus forum looking for any issues with Titus and I really couldn't find any besides the usual, "Stuff happens"! But I see Titus has corrected those issues.
Digging deeper I learned the story how they have brought fabrication back inhouse. I like that! :thumbsup:

What threw me off today was your suggestion on forks. I hadn't realized the ML2 was an AM bike. No mountains in East Texas. I guess Ill work more OT and get the Racer X.

Thanks!

Bikerbob.com said:
This is a popular comparison request.
Look here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=421562 and

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=302079

Of course there is a bigger difference in who makes each one:
Titus, a small, limited production, high-end only, innovative frame maker, and Specialized, one of the largest bike companies in the world.

Titus has $300-$500 trade-in program right now if you have an old mtb frame to give to Trips for Kids.

Reba isn't the first choice for Motolites. Something like the RockShox Revelation or Fox Talas are more typical.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would stick with the moto-lite. You have a 4" or 5" setting for the rear and with a talas you can adjust for different situations. I came off a hartail and I'm sure you won't regret the extra travel. :D

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Gary H said:
Thanks Bob. I have allready read the first thread and read the second link after you posted it. The last few days I have been lurking around the Titus forum looking for any issues with Titus and I really couldn't find any besides the usual, "Stuff happens"! But I see Titus has corrected those issues.
Digging deeper I learned the story how they have brought fabrication back inhouse. I like that! :thumbsup:

What threw me off today was your suggestion on forks. I hadn't realized the ML2 was an AM bike. No mountains in East Texas. I guess Ill work more OT and get the Racer X.

Thanks!
As someone who has owned both a Racer X 100 and ML, I'd suggest going with the ML2 and using a Float 32 up front. IMO, If you are dealing with a lot of roots, setting the ML2 travel at 5" will suit you just fine and the handling will not suffer.

i1dry?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gary H, I ride the same trails as you on a fully rigid...I, too, feel it sometimes-esp over all the newly exposed roots. I have been (long) thinking about f/s and ML is near top of list as is Racer X. I cant give specific comments since I dont own either, but I think if comfort and not racing is your goal, then ML is way to go....at least that's what an expert racer I discussed my issues with reasoned, and it seemed to make sense. With a nice build it will probably feel less "AM" anyway.

Too bad no locals dealers since they demoed in H-town last year but I dont think Sun n Ski is still carrying them so we have been forsaken. Good luck and post pics...

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i1dry said:
As someone who has owned both a Racer X 100 and ML, I'd suggest going with the ML2 and using a Float 32 up front. IMO, If you are dealing with a lot of roots, setting the ML2 travel at 5" will suit you just fine and the handling will not suffer.

i1dry?
Cool, that makes sense.

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rafdog said:
Gary H, I ride the same trails as you on a fully rigid...I, too, feel it sometimes-esp over all the newly exposed roots. I have been (long) thinking about f/s and ML is near top of list as is Racer X. I cant give specific comments since I dont own either, but I think if comfort and not racing is your goal, then ML is way to go....at least that's what an expert racer I discussed my issues with reasoned, and it seemed to make sense. With a nice build it will probably feel less "AM" anyway.

Too bad no locals dealers since they demoed in H-town last year but I dont think Sun n Ski is still carrying them so we have been forsaken. Good luck and post pics...
You would be the best judge on which bike to get since we ride the same trails. Im not having too much trouble riding the "Uppers" with the rigid but the "Lowers" are killing me. I thought I might get away with just getting a suspension fork and a hardtail would be ok but I am now having second thoughts about that. It makes sense that the ML2 might be the better choice for us with the condition of the trails.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Gary H said:
Is the Titus ML2 frame really worth $1995? From the pics I have seen I have fallen in love with that frame!...

...I'm open to other frame suggestions as long as they look simular and dont have that "Walking Stick Bug" look of how the rear shock is mounted vertical with a huge ass linkage...
It sounds like you want to stick with Titus, but just to throw it out there in case anyone else is interested: the Chumba XCL has a similar design to the ML. Same Horst link suspension, slightly burlier, and far cheaper ($1400 for frame and DHX 5.0, slightly cheaper with RP23).

Edit: Link - http://www.chumbaracing.com/bikes/xcl.html

·
Registered
695 Posts
Gary H said:
You would be the best judge on which bike to get since we ride the same trails. Im not having too much trouble riding the "Uppers" with the rigid but the "Lowers" are killing me. I thought I might get away with just getting a suspension fork and a hardtail would be ok but I am now having second thoughts about that. It makes sense that the ML2 might be the better choice for us with the condition of the trails.

Thanks guys! :thumbsup:
:yesnod: Exact same debate I have been having (fork on rigid), but that would ruin my plan for a new and second bike. LB is starting to tell me otherwise though...plus the lowers are where it's at (save the few tucked away areas) I have been thinking about the Chumba as mentioned below and perhaps the CD Rise. Hopefully, when you get you ML2 up and running and post rave reviews (or i see you on trail), I (read: wife) will be finally ready to pull trigger!

·
Texan
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rafdog said:
:yesnod: Exact same debate I have been having (fork on rigid), but that would ruin my plan for a new and second bike. LB is starting to tell me otherwise though...plus the lowers are where it's at (save the few tucked away areas) I have been thinking about the Chumba as mentioned below and perhaps the CD Rise. Hopefully, when you get you ML2 up and running and post rave reviews (or i see you on trail), I (read: wife) will be finally ready to pull trigger!
Definitly the lowers are much more fun. :thumbsup:

I really like the looks of the Chumba but what is bothering me is the weight. Those are 30+ pound bikes and that would be ok if we lived in California with slow rolling big hills. But we have very short and steep anthills, (pun intended :p ) here. Very tight and technical! But maybe I'm thinking this all wrong. I still have that weight weenie XC bike mentality.

The ML2 build, or whatever I decide on building will be a long term project. I probably wont start building it for 6 months. What I just might do in a couple of months is just pick up a Stumpy or something for now and build the high dollar bike over a span of 6 months, so it might be a year before I finish it. I dunno. Just thinking outloud and doing my homework. But when Im ready Ill give ya a hollar and well go riding. :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.