Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I need your insight here.

I am 5' 6" in height (inseam is 30"). I have a trek fuel ex7 Size 15.5" (old model). I am riding it for some months now, but it's giving me lower back pain every after ride and the pain stays for a day or two. I searched the net and found that the cause might be the bike i am riding is quite small (the effective top tube is short). Well, many of my colleague mentioned that my bike is really small for me. I measured the effective top tube of my bike and it's around 21.75".

Now, I am thinking of changing my frame and considering the motolite as replacement. Based from the motolite setup database thread, I should get the Small size. My concern is ETT of ML only gives me 0.75" additional length.

- Does it make a difference regarding my issue on lower back pain?

- What about getting a Medium size, will it be too big for me? Is the standover height would be a concern? and handling?

- Anybody on about my height riding a medium?

Thanks in advance for your input.

~rad

·
Registered
“…I can’t even parallel park!”
92 Posts
Get a Small

Rad, I'm 5'7", 29" inseam (actual) and I ride a small Motolite. Some will chime in and will tell you to go to a medium. From my experience, back pain is usually caused by being too stretched out on a bike, but you are experiencing the opposite.

If it helps any, I've owned 2 hard tail Treks before and rode it extensively. With a 16.5", it felt a bit small since the cockpit was cramped and I've had my fair share of flying over the handlebars. I then got a new 17.5" 8500 frame and it made a tremendous difference for me.

I got professionally fitted and was told that the ideal ETT + Stem Length for me is 65cm. I am currently at 66cm and if it feels good, but will get a shorter stem to be at 65cm as soon as I buy a 90mm stem (currently at 100mm).

The fit for me on the Motolite inspired me to buy a new road bike frame that had a cockpit 1cm shorter than what I currently had. I could've gotten a stem 1cm shorter, but I went the more expensive route. The fit on my Motolite made me realize that there is nothing like riding a bike that fits properly.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks!

TitusMotolite said:
Rad, I'm 5'7", 29" inseam (actual) and I ride a small Motolite. Some will chime in and will tell you to go to a medium. From my experience, back pain is usually caused by being too stretched out on a bike, but you are experiencing the opposite.

If it helps any, I've owned 2 hard tail Treks before and rode it extensively. With a 16.5", it felt a bit small since the cockpit was cramped and I've had my fair share of flying over the handlebars. I then got a new 17.5" 8500 frame and it made a tremendous difference for me.

I got professionally fitted and was told that the ideal ETT + Stem Length for me is 65cm. I am currently at 66cm and if it feels good, but will get a shorter stem to be at 65cm as soon as I buy a 90mm stem (currently at 100mm).

The fit for me on the Motolite inspired me to buy a new road bike frame that had a cockpit 1cm shorter than what I currently had. I could've gotten a stem 1cm shorter, but I went the more expensive route. The fit on my Motolite made me realize that there is nothing like riding a bike that fits properly.

I hope this helps!
Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your reply here ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.