Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chris Cocalis left Titus!

I am a little late in finding this out but at least I found out in time. To me Chris Cocalis was Titus. With him gone, I have no reason to go out of my way in NJ to buy a bike with little or no local dealer support.

Giant, on the other hand, offers the Reign, which, like the Moto-Lite is made in Taiwan, has more travel, costs less and has plenty of local dealer support.

As much as I wanted the Moto-Lite, it was and remains Giant who was always there to support the Jim Thorpe Mountain Bike Weekend. It is Giant who offered to lend me a Reign to test for a few days. It is Giant who will probably be there when I need them, not Titus. Chris I trusted, not especially Titus.

I'm really quite upset about this. Damn, change sometimes "sucks" and how I hate that expression but it seems to be the only one that fits right now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh god here we go again. Rev, your reasons for going with Giant can be used just the same by numerous others who went with Titus for the same reasons, without attempting to give another company (for example: Giant) negative 'press'.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think the "Giant" references are fair--afterall, the whole selling point of a boutique brand is 1. first world craftsmanship, 2. Personalized attention to customer and detail, 3. Aesthetic/ Technical know-how of a given designer. But now, with Chris gone and titus's hottest bike made in taiwan by the same impersonal robots that make-well, Giant, what's the point in spending double on one of their bikes??

side bar-I've always wondered this-and since I was never a candidate for a true custom frame-could never justify the expense of a boutique brand over a reliable, solid big brand (like giant--who has always made great bikes btw!).

looks like turner is getting to be the last man standing from that pioneering generation of bike makers (though-I guess we should note that Scott Nicols is back, huh?).

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I think specialized would be a much better comparison. The frame designs are very similar. If I didn't get a killer deal on a Titus frame I would have bought a specialized. I'm a horst link guy. Giant never really entered the picture for me.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was a bit unclear

No, he did not go to Giant. I had been looking at two potential frames, the Reign and Motolite. Giant was and remains a large company that makes a quality product with good dealer backing.

Titus was a smaller, high end brand, that made an attractive bike that was hard to come by in NJ. I was willing to go out of my way to buy one knowing a person like Chris stood behind the product.

He is gone. Things will change. I will not make the effort to buy the Titus. Simple as that. To me Chris was Titus. Unreasonable as it might sound, one person does make a tremendous difference in the bike industry. Remember how GT took a nose dive after the death of Richard Long. One person made all the difference. Chris, to Titus, was that person.

In a way, I still have that one person with Giant in the person of their local rep. Bob A. He has always been there for the mountain bike nation in the east and I appreciate it.

The Reign, in its own way, is probably every bit as good as the Titus but without the "sex appeal." Well, without Chris, that appeal is greatly reduced and since the Motolite was made in Taiwan anyway, I can't even say I want a Titus because it is a US manufactured product.

But, I rant.
:mad:

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
The Reign, in its own way, is probably every bit as good as the Titus but without the "sex appeal." Well, without Chris, that appeal is greatly reduced and since the Motolite was made in Taiwan anyway, I can't even say I want a Titus because it is a US manufactured product.

But, I rant.
Doesnt matter, as everyone knows the BEST welder in the world is located in <insert country here>

Frankly, I dont give a damn where my bike is manufactured. As long as it is a quality product then I dont see a problem. Which is exactly why I will not own an American car.

·
Cookin' in AZ
238 Posts
I was under the impression that all but one of the Titus road frames were made in the USA at the factory in AZ.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
SuperbMan said:
I think the "Giant" references are fair--afterall, the whole selling point of a boutique brand is 1. first world craftsmanship, .
Taiwan has less than 1% of their population below the poverty line. For reference, that number is 12% for the USA. If we're the 1st world, so is Taiwan.

·
Banned
6,069 Posts
Rev Bubba your self imposed ignorance is astounding

Titus isn't Chris C. and Chris C. isn't Titus

I've had two racer x's and will gladly purchase another one.

I'm just biding my time till the full carbon fiber racer x comes out.

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
006_007 said:
Doesnt matter, as everyone knows the BEST welder in the world is located in <insert country here>

Frankly, I dont give a damn where my bike is manufactured. As long as it is a quality product then I dont see a problem. Which is exactly why I will not own an American car.
It matters more how much the design company wants to pay the manufacturing company to build the bikes and how far the manufacturer will go to maintain their profit margin under this differential.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,337 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
[blah blah.... blah]

But, I rant.
You're correct, you are ranting. Please go ahead and buy a Reign. It's a great bike and Giant has done a lot for you, and they're a great company, and they build lots of bikes, and it has more travel, and [insert any other rational/irrational reason to buy a Giant as necessary].

Do you really need to post this in Passion and then post a couple more asinine ramblings in the Titus forum? What about making another couple posts in the other forums just in case somebody missed the exciting look into your bike purchasing behavior inner workings?

Buy a Reign, go ride it.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are you saying?

The analogy between botique and large manufactuer is what I was getting at as someone else pointed out. Chris and US manufacturing were the attractions of Titus. First the US manufacturing went, then Chris so in the end, what is the difference between Giant (they make bikes I like) and Titus (they make bikes I like and charge more)? Why should I make an extra effort to find a dealer for a Titus when I can stop in any number of LBS for a Giant? To find a Titus dealer in NJ, I would have to travel over an hour while my favorite and longstanding LBS carries Giant.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
Rev Bubba said:
No, he did not go to Giant. I had been looking at two potential frames, the Reign and Motolite. Giant was and remains a large company that makes a quality product with good dealer backing.

Titus was a smaller, high end brand, that made an attractive bike that was hard to come by in NJ. I was willing to go out of my way to buy one knowing a person like Chris stood behind the product.

He is gone. Things will change. I will not make the effort to buy the Titus. Simple as that. To me Chris was Titus. Unreasonable as it might sound, one person does make a tremendous difference in the bike industry. Remember how GT took a nose dive after the death of Richard Long. One person made all the difference. Chris, to Titus, was that person.

In a way, I still have that one person with Giant in the person of their local rep. Bob A. He has always been there for the mountain bike nation in the east and I appreciate it.

But, I rant.
I'm not sure that I understand...what would a Titus cost if it was made in the U.S.? Many of the off-shore products are actually better made than those made in the U.S....i compared Specialized with Cannondale when i bought the kid her bike, Specialized won in all categories...frame, components, finish. She rides a Chinese Trek 7500fx as well

Trek, Specialized (S-Works too), Kona, and many more tier 1 mfg's are all off-shore products, but the specs are controlled by the parent companies

Anyway, who knows?...look what happened to Rocky Mountain when it fell apart...but then Kona was born...will Cannondale ever return to its original quality?...sometimes off-shore sourcing works to benefit the customer, sometimes not.

·
screamer
1,379 Posts
get over it, already!

Sounds like your primary motiation for wanting a Titus had to do with the ego boost that comes with owning a high-end frame. I can see why the departure of the company's founder might put a dent in that cult of personality that you seem to have fallen for; the way you talk about him, it sounds as if you know the guy personally! You haven't mentioned ride quality, craftsmanship and design, durability, etc., because in all of these categories, the Motolite and the Reign are vastly different; maybe it's because you're not a very discriminating rider/buyer. Giant makes great bikes, and I've had some great rides on them, but they are much cheaper for a reason. You're comparing apples and oranges. The fact that you're not considering Titus' competitors (Santa Cruz, Yeti, etc.) indicates to me that you were never really serious about it in the first place. So get over it & ride some more bikes!

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Jerk_Chicken said:
It matters more how much the design company wants to pay the manufacturing company to build the bikes and how far the manufacturer will go to maintain their profit margin under this differential.
Global economics.

If a manufacturer can find a better price for the same quality why not? That is good business sense (not going out of ones way).

·
Too Much Fun
2,320 Posts
Um, why post this in the "Passion" forum?!

Rev Bubba said:
Chris Cocalis left Titus!

I am a little late in finding this out but at least I found out in time. To me Chris Cocalis was Titus. With him gone, I have no reason to go out of my way in NJ to buy a bike with little or no local dealer support.
This forum is for posts relating to our mutual love of riding, not hot air regarding what bike you may or may not be buying. Go get that Reign and enjoy it. I borrowed one last week for a quick after work ride and its a great bike.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts