Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2004 Racer X with a 5th Element Air shock...I've been trying to setup the sag, using ~85psi in the IFP chamber. To get approx 10mm of sag(~20%) I only have to fill the main chamber to about 90 psi. However, being that I am 170 lbs and from reading other literature, it just seems that is a lil low and I'm worried about damaging the shock. Heck, one mag that reviewed the 5th said to fill the main chamber to body weight psi...Does anyone have any ideas or any similar experiences? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNNNN
98 Posts
Set up sound about right.............

When I ran a 5th Air on my RX100 I ran 90psi main and 50psi IFP at same weight as you, 170lbs. Was able to get full travel without bottoming the shock. 85psi in the IFP seems kind of high, you might want to try with 50psi and work your way up if you find it moving to much. The 5th Air is a very efficient shock and lets you mash big gears without alot of movement but is harsh compared to a RP3 which I am on now. Also watch out for the negative air chamber as it leaks into the positive chamber leaving you with a harsh top out. You can find out if you have enough negative air in your shock by letting all the air out and in should sink a 1/2 to 3/4 inch into its travel, if it doesn't sink then you have no air in the negative side which sucks cause your have to send it back to have the "Air Gulp" reset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NumbNutts said:
When I ran a 5th Air on my RX100 I ran 90psi main and 50psi IFP at same weight as you, 170lbs. Was able to get full travel without bottoming the shock. 85psi in the IFP seems kind of high, you might want to try with 50psi and work your way up if you find it moving to much. The 5th Air is a very efficient shock and lets you mash big gears without alot of movement but is harsh compared to a RP3 which I am on now. Also watch out for the negative air chamber as it leaks into the positive chamber leaving you with a harsh top out. You can find out if you have enough negative air in your shock by letting all the air out and in should sink a 1/2 to 3/4 inch into its travel, if it doesn't sink then you have no air in the negative side which sucks cause your have to send it back to have the "Air Gulp" reset.
Thanks for the info NumbNutts....great name by the way...I'll try it with lower IFP....I haven't even ridden it yet since I got it late on Sunday and its been raining since....Its killin me!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.