Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
You know, I just can't wrap my head around that... Why the rise? I like the Jones version, but this thing just looks wrong...

·
Harrumph
1,598 Posts
I wonder about the real need for riser bars in general, but one this bar really makes no sense to me. I'm not "funky" bar expert, but it's my understanding you're going to have to adjust stem angle/length to fit a bar like that properly to begin with. So you could set your height with a stem, instead of adding complexity to the bar.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I agree. If they're calling it an H Bar... stick to the basics. I have no interest in trying this bar. It's too far removed from the original.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know, I couldn't agree with you less. I need all the rise I can get. Right now I run a 15deg stem, 1.5"s of spacers and a 2.5" rise bar just to get my bars 1" below my seat height. I really wanted the Jones version of the bar but couldn't figure out how to make it work with out a new fork!

I agree the Jones bar looks better, but this one hopefully will fit me better(and save me lots of money too!).

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
illnacord said:
Besides looking like ass (subjective to personal taste), and the two positions for hands, what else would prompt someone to buy "H-Bars"?
"Form follows Function."

Not only are the real Jones Ti H-bars a superlatively comfortable bar to use, they feature a multitude of hand positions, absorb vibes, give a huge amount of torque for the uphill grinds, are light, have just the right amount of flex, and are hand made by a Master Craftsman.

If you think that they look like "ass" then you obviously have not tried them for yourself.

These ones pictured are a mass-produced copy of the real thing.

R.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
Nat said:
Can't brake from your bar ends.

Not titanium.
Sigh... youngins.... haven't you ever heard of brake lever extensions for use with bar ends? Joe Murray's Dr Dews for example. Paul's components had them also.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Maybe Titec had to shape their bars like that for copyright reasons? Curved tube vs. straight etc.
And from the seond picture they don`t look to have much rise after all. At least not the forward and rearward hand positions.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
Newsboy said:
Titec "stole" Jones design without giving him any credit (cash).
If so i will boycott Titec for the rest of my life.
Didn't want to imply that!
I simply don't know the interna of Titec. But it would not be the first time two manufacturers marvellously made the "same invention at the same time".

Since I think the world is ruled by the Illuminati this never really surprises me. ;)

·
Welsh Dave
254 Posts
Wow - the way "rumours" spread on the interweb... No, Titec haven't stolen anything AFAIK.

From the (very lengthy) discussion on here over the last couple of years, it seems that Titec and JJ have come to a licensing agreement that covers the fundamental design features of JJ's original Ti H-bar.

DM

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.