Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this in the Titec website FAQ, but there is no picture or other information about it. Anybody got the scoop???

A: Designed with the support of Jeff Jones, the Titec H-bar descends like a big freeride riser bar and climbs like a narrow XC bar, thanks to its unconventional 45 degree sweep. With the H-Bar, you can move back almost 5" behind the stem clamp for a super-wide, super-stable position. Slide forward to one of the narrower positions for fire-road climbing or flatland spinning. Or split the difference for a perfect singlespeed stance.
By matching the natural angle of your hand at rest, the H-Bar reduces numbness, wrist pain and fatigue. We´ve also added a 31.8 clamp for extra stiffness and 1" of rise

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
indigosky said:
I just found this in the Titec website FAQ, but there is no picture or other information about it. Anybody got the scoop???

A: Designed with the support of Jeff Jones, the Titec H-bar descends like a big freeride riser bar and climbs like a narrow XC bar, thanks to its unconventional 45 degree sweep. With the H-Bar, you can move back almost 5" behind the stem clamp for a super-wide, super-stable position. Slide forward to one of the narrower positions for fire-road climbing or flatland spinning. Or split the difference for a perfect singlespeed stance.
By matching the natural angle of your hand at rest, the H-Bar reduces numbness, wrist pain and fatigue. We´ve also added a 31.8 clamp for extra stiffness and 1" of rise
Didn't Titec go belly-up a few months ago, or was that another internet rumor?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
1 cog frog said:
a 25 degree stem from Bonty? been looking for one in 120 length, where did you get it?
I had some friends who run a shop down in NC order the stem for me. You can see them here: Bonty Stems
According to my buddies they had many sizes in stock. I was able to get a 25d in the 110 length in about 5 days with standard ground shipping. It's a perfect fit for my midge's! Any Trek / Fischer dealer should be able to hook you up but if you get stuck shoot me a PM for the NC shop details.
l-dub

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Looks like they are still in the works. These pics showed up in my in-box from an unknown source. Just said this is a current prototype and the forward sweep of the crossbar does not require a stem length change. That's all I know.

Attachments

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
Way to eff up a clever design. Of course, this may have been part of the plan all along - so that those who want a true H-bar design (regardless of material) will still need to go to Jones directly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Or better yet -
Put bar ends on mary.

The current spaz about jones bars reminds me of about 10 - 15 years ago when everyone had-to-have bullhorns. Or those dumb scott full wrap-arounds.

Same ****, different shovel. Ergo this, blah blah that.

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Knuckles said:
Or better yet -
Put bar ends on mary.

The current spaz about jones bars reminds me of about 10 - 15 years ago when everyone had-to-have bullhorns. Or those dumb scott full wrap-arounds.

Bar ends on a Mary would stick forward/out at about a 45 degree angle. It'd be like doing bicep curls with the curl bar. At least it'd hook trees really well.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
I don't know what makes this "eff'ed up" or why one would want to bother constructing something similar out of different parts. It looks pretty promising to me. Mary solved a real problem I was having with my wrists so I wouldn't mind trying variations on the theme. I know it's tough to understand but choice is good.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Knuckles said:
Or better yet -
Put bar ends on mary.

I missed the "had-to-have bullhorns" period and I have been in the game for 22 years. John Weissenrider (sp) did make similar "Jet" bars in the late '80s that never gained popularity.

The Scott bars were one-piece bar ends/bars. The main hand position was the same as with straight bars.

The Jones/Titec HBar and On-One Mary do offer a position that is different (even from each other) and functional. No everyone likes it and you do not have to. Personally I find straight bars to be s*** and non-functional.

As far as the construction method/shape of the Titec prototype: The crossbar bends are similar to a "normal" riser bar. Not much tooling changes needed. Simplier miters and easier angle changes of the end pieces, too.

I can see the advantage of the forward sweep and slight rise in not needing to replace a stem though that may be mooted by the 31.8 bar clamp size.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Put the bar ends in the bend of Mary - not on the end. Now you've got a much cheaper version of the Jones.

Easy turbo - No need to jump on my case - I wasn't dissing the bars. Just commenting that parts fads come and go. Someone's mighty sensitive and obsessive about handlebars, huh?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Knuckles said:
Put the bar ends in the bend of Mary - not on the end. Now you've got a much cheaper version of the Jones.
Bar ends will not fit in the bend of the Mary bar. The diameter changes at the bend. The Titec Hbar will probably cost about the same as a Mary + bar ends.

"Same ****, different shovel" is a dis no matter how you look at it.

Obsessed with bars? Guilty. My body demands it.

·
dirty hippy mountainbiker
1,146 Posts
fad

I wanted those scott bars. I don't know if it was a craze, but I thought they were cool. I also thought that a neg rise stem and "cloxxki-low" bar height was cool too.

The titec looks like a good design to me. I'll need a set for my ss. Love Mary!

-M

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
shiggy said:
No. Titec was being bought by Profile Design (the road/mtb bar, stem, crank, etc company, not Profile Racing - the BMX company):
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/bicycleretailer/search/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000989154

A lot of the old standby parts are gone :(
Shiggy
You should check out who owns Profile Designs ...?
.... may not be the profile bmx your thinking of , but there still owned by one of the biggest bmx distrubuters in the sport ... IE: PRIMO / Tip Plus ... FYI

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.