Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been using a Misfit FuBar for about 3 years on my Rocklobster; I have also ran a suspended seatpost for even longer. Well, I guess even an old dog can learn new tricks. After riding my 650b SASS with a rigid fork and seatpost, I tired of the sloppy seatpost on my suspended Rocklobster and scored a Thompson seatpost on ebay. And just as the seatpost arrived, I got more love form my friend Spike as he showed up at my door with a Titec H-bar. The H-bar took a little more time as I switched back to my 120mm steel stem and had to install a new rear brake hose I hate that!). I did the first ride today and all I can say is "Yes!" The H-bar had one of the most natural hand positions I have ever felt. One of the problems with the FuBar was the need for a 140mm stem, yet the grips were farther back. This resulted in a certain amount of instability and more pressure on my back when I stood up. I didn't notice this until I spent some time on my SASS and the H-bar addresses both these problems. The Thompson seatpost is also magic; combined with my Selle Italia seat, I appreciate the natural shock absorbing of the saddle and Ti rails. I'm leaning toward my SASS, but some new life has been breathed into an old friend.

Edited: OOPS, Titec H-Bar

Attachments

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Titec H-Bars do rock. Just put mine back on my OS Bikes Blackbuck after a long hiatus. Good to have it back on there. I haven't tried the non-riser version, the "J-Bar" yet, mostly due to the 31.8mm interface but I think that will be high on my list of bars I must get here.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
martinsillo said:
Titec H-Bar?...I choose that one for my upcoming Pugs...good to know you liked!
I like, but one thing puzzles me. The length from the cross bar to the end of the grip is to small for a clamp-on grip and too long for a regular grip; what's with that?

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
aka brad said:
I like, but one this puzzles me the. The length from the cross bar to the end of the grip is to small for a clamp-on grip and too long for a regular grip; what's with that?
Yup. I use an Ergon grip on mine, (clamp only on the outer end) and I just smash it on far enough to get a grip with the clamp, which isn't that far really. I suppose two clamp grips would be next to impossible to mount.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
My old GT two clamp grips mounted fine on the J-bar. My Ergons also mounted fine with some room left over. I hate the Ergons for off road riding on the J-bar. ESI Chunky's are way better. I put the Ergons on my Big Dummy. My biggest gripe is the bars are too damn wide to fit between the trees with speed. The clearance is so tight I have to lean to pass through on my local trails.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Been running the Titec J-Bar (flat 31.8 version of the H-bar) and love it on my rigid 29'er. Rode my FS 26" last July and had a hard time dealing with the bars and small wheels... I am pretty sure I'll be running these bars from now on - been about 15 months now and I don't know if I could go back too easily!

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
All Jones-type variants are great. I have Jones ti. bars on 2 bikes (one SS, one geared) and a J-Bar on the Pugsley (that replaced a H-bar). All get the same job done in a slightly different way; hard to go wrong with any of them.

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
worrptangl said:
I just ordered a Titec H-bar, ESI chunky's, and some Cinelli cork grip tape. I can't wait!
I've had three rides with the H-bar now and I'm still jazzed. In climbing it allows me to center my hips over the crank, rather than my back. While some like it better the other way around, with more weight on the rear tire, I climb better with a longer cockpit. My last ride was a long climb and then 20-30mph down a smooth double track, with a shorter stem than with the Fu-Bar, the bike felt much more stable. I have the ESI Edge grips on another bike and they are a little harsh; I suspect the Chunky's are a little better.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Oury grips also work wonderfully well with an H-bar. They may be a bit too short to cover the main grip area, but that doesn't bother me at all. If you like thick, comfy and long-lasting grips, give them a try.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i just finished my pugsley build with an hbar and it is badass! feels super comfy at all positions. everyone who tries it agrees. i am not however happy with the alfine trigger on it. i can't wrap my hand all the way around the bar with out touching the shifter. thinking of switching to a thumbie jtek bar-end.

·
Baby Bear is in the house
2,069 Posts
I'm enjoying mine :thumbsup:
Even after being screwed by local customs, with duties and taxes doubling the cost of mail ordering the bar from the US :rolleyes:
Here it is compared to the bar it replaced; a cheapo no-name (actually called "Uxar") hi-sweep (25deg) bar, likely taken off a no-name built up bike.

I'm still contemplating on getting a shorter stem, as the Titec has brought my position forward about 20mm versus the previous bar (which I found the more upright posture more to my liking). I dunno, I just might stick with the same stem for now.

The Titec is the widest bar I've used to date, and I really appreciate the width and the hand position :)

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just got mine mounted up. I'm going to have to either get a shorter stem (which I'm considering) due to my feeling slightly more stretched out also, and might have to get some new cables for my BB7's. We will see.

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
I've been strongly considering these bars myself. Wondering if the extension, or "bar end" is very functional. I love how my bar ends allow me to get up over my front end and hammer, but haven't tried swept bars to see if they offer similar advantages. Also not a big fan of clipping my bar ends on trees, and the angle of the H-bars look like they wouldn't have much trouble with that. Thanks.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,948 Posts
I saw someone with that setup here...I think he had to extra-cut the short-grips to do it...but don't remember exactly...I think it was vikb...check his blog... I can't do the search from the office.

...but I think this is not the proper forum to be talking about shifters! :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.