Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking to see what kind of experience people have with Ti springs, specifically for a Vivid but general impressions are welcome as well. Obtainium look like they have their stuff together - any experiences with their product? Good/bad? Any others to consider? Are people generally happy running Ti springs? Anything else I need to know?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Diverse also has TI springs for the Vivid.

http://www.diverse-mfg.com/mtb/15idtisprings.html

Ordered one a few weeks ago. Shipped same day and a little cheaper than Obtanium.

Only complaint is the spring seems a little firmer that the stock Rock Shox steel spring (both 400lb springs). Maybe just TI, or maybe slightly different manufacturing tolerances. Regardless, I could still tune with less preload.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've been told that titanium springs are a bit more progressive. you might want to try lowering your bottom out resistance (if you have that adjust available)

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The Obtainium ti springs are the best Ive found... no rubbing, light, and will fit any shock with the right spacers. The new bearing collars are awesome. They take all the bind out and make the suspension feel soooo smooth. I can't believe the difference.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Iceman2058 said:
Just checking to see what kind of experience people have with Ti springs, specifically for a Vivid but general impressions are welcome as well. Obtainium look like they have their stuff together - any experiences with their product? Good/bad? Any others to consider? Are people generally happy running Ti springs? Anything else I need to know?

thanks!
They are fine for the Vivid since you won't need the spacers. There are some issues with running the Obtainium with spacers on certain shocks (like 8.75 x 2.75 Roco). The assembly is too long to easily fit or remove the spring from the shock collar, so you either need to sand down the spacers to half thier original height before installing, or resort to chiseling off one spacer (destroying it in the process) to get the spring back off.

·
Registered
686 Posts
k1creeker said:
They are fine for the Vivid since you won't need the spacers. There are some issues with running the Obtainium with spacers on certain shocks (like 8.75 x 2.75 Roco). The assembly is too long to easily fit or remove the spring from the shock collar, so you either need to sand down the spacers to half thier original height before installing, or resort to chiseling off one spacer (destroying it in the process) to get the spring back off.
if you are having issues with an Obtainium spring let Jim know otherwise he cannot address it.He may have another option.

·
Now with More Wood
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kntr said:
The Obtainium ti springs are the best Ive found... no rubbing, light, and will fit any shock with the right spacers. The new bearing collars are awesome. They take all the bind out and make the suspension feel soooo smooth. I can't believe the difference.
Thanks. Are these bearing collars included with the spring by default, or only if you need spacers?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Guys

anyone have issues with delivery of their Obtanium Springs?

My local distributor on Australia ordered some about 7 weeks ago, only 3 springs arrived out of the 10 ordered and they were the incorrect springs for our shocks!! apparently they were resending out the right springs but that was almost 4 weeks ago and still havent got the damn thing!!

My friend emailed Obtanium directly as he was getting p*ssed with the local distributor (who has always been great with fast delivery in the past) and all he was told by a Jim,was that they had issues with their shipping arrangements but they wouldn't give us an ETA. That email was sent almost 2 weeks ago.

How do people do business like this? If I knew it was gonna take that long I would of ordered an RCS.

Rant over...

just wondering if we are the only ones that have experienced this issue?

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
Supposely Obtainium makes the lightest Ti springs(compared to other Ti spring brands) and they also make 25lb increment in weight which is awesome!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have had awesome dealings with Jim, he let me borrow a spring to make sure it was the right one(I was between springs) and tested my steel springs for me(all of them were off by 20 lbs, his was off by 1 lb.)

I called him today to order a bearing kit and mentioned this post, he said there was a miscommunication apparently the distributor thought they were ordering 3.5 stroke springs, he only sells 3.0 stroke springs

·
Registered
438 Posts
sorry but I dont think thats entirely correct...the distributor ordered what ever Obtanium make to fit a BOS Stoy shocks (distributor also does BOS suspension), 10 springs of various weights were ordered, only 3 turned up!! I dont even think they were the ones ordered.whats that got to do with stroke
so here we are 7 weeks later and the order still hasnt arrived nor are we able to get a ETA from Obtanium
Jim responded to my friends email 2 weeks ago saying that it was a issue with their shipping company and that they were in the process of changing this...but still wont give us an ETA. Apparently my friend wrote back to Jim asking when will they arrive...he didnt receive a response
I recently ordered a BOS fork from my distributor here and got it within 4 weeks so I know its not them making excuses and holding this up
I am sure Jim is really busy but this is just average customer service...
somebody ask him when are the springs due to arrive in Australia??!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Chuckie said:
sorry but I dont think thats entirely correct...the distributor ordered what ever Obtanium make to fit a BOS Stoy shocks (distributor also does BOS suspension), 10 springs of various weights were ordered, only 3 turned up!! I dont even think they were the ones ordered.whats that got to do with stroke
so here we are 7 weeks later and the order still hasnt arrived nor are we able to get a ETA from Obtanium
Jim responded to my friends email 2 weeks ago saying that it was a issue with their shipping company and that they were in the process of changing this...but still wont give us an ETA. Apparently my friend wrote back to Jim asking when will they arrive...he didnt receive a response
I recently ordered a BOS fork from my distributor here and got it within 4 weeks so I know its not them making excuses and holding this up
I am sure Jim is really busy but this is just average customer service...
somebody ask him when are the springs due to arrive in Australia??!!
"distributor ordered what ever"
"I dont even think they were the ones ordered."
Sounds like you don't have the full story and are just mad you don't have a spring.
Obtainium makes springs that fit on the Stoy, but they have a maximum stroke of 3", your Makulu has a stroke of 3.5". You are blaming Obtainium for not delivering a product they don't make.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.