Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Mike over here at Mtbti.com. We are getting ready to launch our titanium single speed rear cogs and wanted to get some feedback from our target audience. We have had great success with the titanium bolt kits and want to expand into the ti single speed market. I ride my single speed more than my geared bikes so this made sense for our company.

Gear sizing: 16-23 tooth, Shimano inner spline

Gear weight: 24 grams for the 18 tooth (more weights to come as I only have the prototype in 18 tooth).

Material: Grade 5 (6AL-4v) Titanium made here in the U.S.A.

Wear resistance is similar to steel without the weight penalty.

Pricing will be between $69.95-$99.95 depending on tooth count.

Thank you to everyone who helped on this project and lets hear comments/questions. A very special thanks to the guys at The Path Bike Shop for their help.

Here are some pictures of the prototype.

Circle Gear

Brown Watch Watch accessory Circle Analog watch

Brown Maroon Circle Dishware Peach

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
gunit said:
Out of curiosity, why do you want thicker teeth? I have a BMX cog presumably designed for use with 1/8 BMX chains, and the teeth are not particularly thick.
When Boone was making cogs I special-ordered the thicker teeth. You get a much longer life from the cogs/rings, even more life than expected with a 33% wider tooth (3/32 -> 4/32). I use BMX chains.

BMX cogs have taller teeth for keeping the chain. I don't know of high mileage BMX riders.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
These seem quite a bit more money than the Boone. They'll probably still sell.

Nice looking, if a bit plain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gunit said:
Sounds great as long as they are lighter than aluminum cogs and last 2.5-3 times as long...
Aluminum will always be the lightest but it wears out very quickly. Titanium is 40% lighter than steel with similar wear characteristics.

·
Registered
77 Posts
pacman said:
When Boone was making cogs I special-ordered the thicker teeth. You get a much longer life from the cogs/rings, even more life than expected with a 33% wider tooth (3/32 -> 4/32). I use BMX chains.

BMX cogs have taller teeth for keeping the chain. I don't know of high mileage BMX riders.
That is interesting. Ya I have no idea how many miles a regular BMX rider puts in, or what their loading patterns are like vs mountain biking. Since you keep detailed records of your mileage, what kind of service intervals have you gotten out of the different kinds of cogs that you have used? Do you use them until they begin to slip, do you flip them for double the fun? The real question is whether custom and fancy pants cogs are cost effective versus their cheaper brethren... or whether they provide greater performance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
azjonboy said:
These seem quite a bit more money than the Boone. They'll probably still sell.

Nice looking, if a bit plain.
Remember that these are the prototypes. The retail version will have chamfered holes and maybe a few more holes. The holes will also be polished and we are looking into anodizing. So if you have any favorite colors please voice your opinions.

What we were going after was a super light gear that is machined with high tolerances. The gear slides onto shimano's splines like a glove. Most single speed bike owners are always going after the lightest this or that. Also the inner spline is 50% wider (similar to boone) to spread the load across the freehub.

We will definitely take into consideration of a thicker tooth version for a bmx chain.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dumbaSS said:
Looks nice, I'd be interested.

FYI... your website needs some serious work if you really want to sell stuff online.
Thank you. Been working on the site all day. The old site is up and running now. If you have any other questions about the gears please feel free to email me.

Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Boone Cogs are making a comeback........

Boone cogs.....................
I'm going to start shipping July 14.....or I'll post bad things about Brett...

No, for really your cogs look great, Good Luck

If you are interested in Boone Cogs let me know and I'll send you a complete price list.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
pacman said:
I want the option of thicker teeth for 1/8" chains.
I run 1/8" BMX chains on all of my bikes and mix and match 3/32" and 1/8" chainrings, freewheels and track cogs without any issues or shortened life because of wear. Swap the chain out when it's worn and you'll be fine. $.02

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
miketech1 said:
Pricing will be between $69.95-$99.95 depending on tooth count.
As someone who owns goth Boone and Spot Ti cogs, that seems a little steep. More than a WI freewheel, which many people still balk at.

Speaking of which, it looks like you might have the wherewithal to machine a replacement cog for a WI freewheel. . .

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
Boone cogs look like art work for nearly half the price. WTF?!?

Thanks to Tani (at the Path) a 20 tooth Boone Ti cost only 40$.

No anodize needed, just polished and matte finish. Show it's Ti-ness. The ano is your only gimmick to get paid more than they are worth.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.