Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
also keep in mind there are different pitch sizes for M10 ...1.0, 1.25, 1.5 ...that site doesn't specify which the M10 is

it seems the Al brake bosses are not really any lighter than the Ti ...are the Al solid??

When I was looking for Al, I couldn't find them anywhere in N.A. ..Stan didn't have any of those FRM either.

·
Registered
601 Posts
FRM Al studs aren't hollow so they're not as light as they could be @ 10g. Ti studs from Tmaybee were hollow and also 10g. Bear in mind FRM studs are for frame only, M10 I believe, and Ti ones for a fork only, M8.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Boj said:
FRM Al studs aren't hollow so they're not as light as they could be @ 10g. Ti studs from Tmaybee were hollow and also 10g. Bear in mind FRM studs are for frame only, M10 I believe, and Ti ones for a fork only, M8.
You might also try getting a disc brake user to part with their Specialized HT/Epic S-Works titanium studs. They work fine, weight 11 gr.

-b

·
Registered
796 Posts
no, my Ti M8 came stock with my SID Race Carbon...

I got Ti M10 for the frame from tmaybee ...he had 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5 pitch ...they were either 10 or 11g ...can't remember

also got my Ti bolts for F99 stem from him

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
eurorider said:
no, my Ti M8 came stock with my SID Race Carbon...

I got Ti M10 for the frame from tmaybee ...he had 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5 pitch ...they were either 10 or 11g ...can't remember

also got my Ti bolts for F99 stem from him
Do you remember the weight for the F99 Ti bolts?
I just got some from Syntace 17 gr (6 bolts M5 14) but they look big compared to the stock steel.

·
Registered
796 Posts
stock Syntace M5x14 buttonhead steel bolts are 19g

the M5x14 taperhead Ti bolts I got made the stem go from 105g down to 96g

so 9g savings ...my Ti bolts must weigh about 10g and the taper looks better IMO

·
Maromero
1,605 Posts
eurorider said:
stock Syntace M5x14 buttonhead steel bolts are 19g

the M5x14 taperhead Ti bolts I got made the stem go from 105g down to 96g

so 9g savings ...my Ti bolts must weigh about 10g and the taper looks better IMO
Euro, could you post a pic of your stem, with Ti bolts of course.
Thanks, Manuel.

·
Registered
54 Posts
eurorider said:
I couldn't find any Al bosses so I got Ti from tmaybee ...he's a member on here
When you want Al studs (M10 - fits Scott frames) try www.bikeonline.it
Ti studs - I purchased a pair from www.hilset.be. Unfortunately they're M10*10 and dind't fit my frame:(
see my three pics of: steel, al and Ti studs and compare their weights
doktoree

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
When you want Al studs (M10 - fits Scott frames) try www.bikeonline.it
Ti studs - I purchased a pair from www.hilset.be. Unfortunately they're M10*10 and dind't fit my frame
see my three pics of: steel, al and Ti studs and compare their weights
doktoree
What size does the Scott-frame using. I have bought this Ti studs from Hilset too for my Pace fork, and Luc from Hilset told me this probably wouldn't fit my frame. Will the FRM-studs fits my frame? Are they as strong as titanium ones?

·
Registered
54 Posts
dennis rides Scott said:
What size does the Scott-frame using. I have bought this Ti studs from Hilset too for my Pace fork, and Luc from Hilset told me this probably wouldn't fit my frame. Will the FRM-studs fits my frame? Are they as strong as titanium ones?
I don't know the Scott frame size of brake studs. It looks like the thread is 1.5 so possibly it is M10*1.5. I don't know if FRM studs will fits your frame because I don't know what frame you have.
Of course alu brake studs are not as strong as Ti but FRM ones are not hollow so don't worry about their durability and strength.

doktoree

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.