Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. What's the best value titanium hardtail I can get ?? I know titanium is expensive and hard to work with. I just want a good, well crafted bike or frameset that doesn't break my bank.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,103 Posts
Turner and Vassago are two brands that come to mind.
👽

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I think you should back up and think about why Ti? Ti is a luxury item, in most cases it serves no practical purpose over another material, but sure looks nice. Carbon is lighter. Steel offers the same ride. When I hear someone asking about a good value in titanium, I think of a buyer that should be looking at steel and spending the difference in material cost to work with a custom builder rather than an off the shelf Ti frame.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Best value is one you love the ride of. I have ridden Salsa, Litespeed, Lynskey, Carver and a no namer. All were Meh. My Potts on the other hand cost me $3200 10 years ago and I have absolutely no desire to get rid of it. I have had a couple of other bikes during that time come and go but my Potts has been my main ride for those past 10 years. I would say that is a great Value

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you should back up and think about why Ti? Ti is a luxury item, in most cases it serves no practical purpose over another material, but sure looks nice. Carbon is lighter. Steel offers the same ride. When I hear someone asking about a good value in titanium, I think of a buyer that should be looking at steel and spending the difference in material cost to work with a custom builder rather than an off the shelf Ti frame.
Maybe, maybe not. The OP may be well served by an off the shelf Ti frame if it meets his needs, and only he knows what those are. I do agree that the OP should think about what he wants out of his bike, but maybe he already has.

I too am in the market for a hardtail 29er frame to build up as a second bike, and although I hate to use the term I’m looking for something in the “downcountry” vein - in between XC racer and long/low/slack. My criteria include weight, cost, looks, and country of origin. I am focusing on Ti or steel, for ride quality and traditional looks.

Frames I have considered are Sage Powerline, Lynskey Live Wire, Chumba Sendero, the aforementioned Turner Nitrous, and a custom from Waltworks. Of these I think the OP might be interested in the Lynskey and the Turner as value propositions in Ti. I emailed Turner for more info on the Nitrous and while he could not yet provide a frame weight (still waiting for production frames to arrive), he did say that the fork included with the “frame and fork” for $2,795 is the SID Ultimate Raceday 120. That seems like good value to me, although the frame is imported while the Lynskey is made in the US.

I am in no hurry to make a decision and I hope to hear of more options in this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. The OP may be well served by an off the shelf Ti frame if it meets his needs, and only he knows what those are. I do agree that the OP should think about what he wants out of his bike, but maybe he already has.

I too am in the market for a hardtail 29er frame to build up as a second bike, and although I hate to use the term I’m looking for something in the “downcountry” vein - in between XC racer and long/low/slack. My criteria include weight, cost, looks, and country of origin. I am focusing on Ti or steel, for ride quality and traditional looks.

Frames I have considered are Sage Powerline, Lynskey Live Wire, Chumba Sendero, the aforementioned Turner Nitrous, and a custom from Waltworks. Of these I think the OP might be interested in the Lynskey and the Turner as value propositions in Ti. I emailed Turner for more info on the Nitrous and while he could not yet provide a frame weight (still waiting for production frames to arrive), he did say that the fork included with the “frame and fork” for $2,795 is the SID Ultimate Raceday 120. That seems like good value to me, although the frame is imported while the Lynskey is made in the US.

I am in no hurry to make a decision and I hope to hear of more options in this thread.
Absolutely. I tend to think that people looking at Ti frames are likely to know what they want. I went through the same process for years, debating between an off the shelf Ti frame and custom steel. I ended up with custom steel (Waltworks) and it was a great experience. I was able to get a bike that rides the way I like with geometry that I like. But as you say, it requires knowing what you want, or at least think you want and be willing to work with and trust the builder's knowledge. I didn't want super short chainstays, or a 35mm stem, but a comfortable, easy to ride trail bike. That was what I got. I have no idea what steel or tubesets make up my frame, nor do I care.

If going off the shelf, I would get the Turner. Dave has always built great bikes with good geometry.

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
71 Posts
Depends on what geometry you're after, but if you're looking for a rowdy or aggressive hardtail, Chromag now offers the Rootdown in Titanium, and there is a Titanium version of the RSD Middlechild.

-DS

·
Registered
931 Posts
The falling prices of CF frames along with increasing prices for Ti have made the market for Ti bikes much harder and reduced the options. I wish there was a bigger market for Ti and high grade steel; but in current environment options are limited.

This may reflex consumer Value put on the ride and durability of Ti and high grade steel over CF; but likely it’s more related to the fact that FS bikes are taking over the mountain bike market.

I think if you find the right Ti hardtail; you will love it and keep it for decades

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
Stanton offers the Switch9er in steel or ti.
Same with the Solarmax from Cotic. Ti is very limited.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As for any bike, you need to set your requirements. What geometry do you like? What are you looking for? How will you use it? Is there something off the peg available or are you wanting custom? Why Ti and not any other material?

Only once you have your own requirements can you make a call on what's best value for you. I'd want custom because of my size, so I'd be narrowing down options from that point.

·
Titanium Junkie
Why Cycles S7
1,650 Posts
I am a fan & owner of a Why Cycles S7, it's is my only bike (if you don't count my beater SS) and I ride it everywhere. I have been mountain biking for 33 years, and after being the guy that flips bikes every year or so I can honestly say that I have no desire to move on from this one for the foreseeable future. I have carefully curated this build over the past year to have absolutely every part on it that I wanted for one reason or another. It's not particularly light at 29lbs, but it has a "planted yet forgiving" feel to it. While the bike is sold as a 27.5+, I run it as a 29"er after spending time on both wheel sizes on the frame, 29 x 2.6" to be exact.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I am a fan & owner of a Why Cycles S7, it's is my only bike (if you don't count my beater SS) and I ride it everywhere. I have been mountain biking for 33 years, and after being the guy that flips bikes every year or so I can honestly say that I have no desire to move on from this one for the foreseeable future. I have carefully curated this build over the past year to have absolutely every part on it that I wanted for one reason or another. It's not particularly light at 29lbs, but it has a "planted yet forgiving" feel to it. While the bike is sold as a 27.5+, I run it as a 29"er after spending time on both wheel sizes on the frame, 29 x 2.6" to be exact.

View attachment 1911548
Pretty. I'm not sure if that should be ridden or humped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also check out the Kingdom Vendetta X2 or the new X3. About $1500 USD currently for the frame only. I have a X2 and absolutely love it.

·
Out spokin'
11,162 Posts

View attachment 1911548
Very nice. VERY nice. Love the bars, blaklabl.
=sParty

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have a very good point. The main reasons I was looking at titanium is: steel like ride + corrosion resistance. IMHO carbon is light, but not a lifetime frame. Aluminum ride quality is crappy. Steel ride quality is good, but it corrodes.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
You have a very good point. The main reasons I was looking at titanium is: steel like ride + corrosion resistance. IMHO carbon is light, but not a lifetime frame. Aluminum ride quality is crappy. Steel ride quality is good, but it corrodes.

Carbon will last every bit as long as aluminium, steel or Ti. At this point there are planes that are 40 years old using carbon in key structural areas with no issues, just like they have used aluminum for 80+ years now. I remember when the majority consensus was that aluminum frames would fail rapidly. One of the magazines did a long term stress test on a machine cycling the frames for hundreds of thousands of cycles. The only frame that didn't break, a Cracknfail, what we used to call Cannondale in the old days. For steel, frame saver keeps them from rusting out, but there are a lot of guys riding 20 year old steel frames in wet climates that haven't had them rust out without treatment.

At the end of the day, it is really implementation, not the material. There are questions as to carbon's environmental friendliness. The only solid thing to do is research the choices, pick the one you like the best, then be a dick by telling everyone else how your choice is superior to theirs. This also applies to SRAM v. Shimano, suspension, tires, and brake brands. Then you get the old guys like me that get to the point of realizing that unless something is really off, the most important thing is setup.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Ti on a 26in wheel vs. 29ers. Makes a big difference on a 26er, but very little effect on a 29er, can't tell the difference.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts