Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
AKamp said:
The litespeed forks may have looked cool but they sure did ride like crap. More than one broken steerer also in the 1 inch size.
Which version are you talking about? The one shown above or the earlier fork? What were the bad ride characteristics, too flexy?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more pics

this is the second generation litespeed fork and it rides fine. the first generation was very light and flexy and all were recalled and replaced with this model which was heavier and actually worked. all were one inch and threaded, at least that i saw...the dropouts are machined aluminum and glued and pressed in as are the caps on the tops of the legs. the kona has ti welded drops. the other pic is a polished xacd a had a while ago. the litespeed ad was stolen from the vintage ti frame thread and shows the first gen litespeed fork.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
tisingle said:
this is the second generation litespeed fork and it rides fine. the first generation was very light and flexy and all were recalled and replaced with this model which was heavier and actually worked.
Interesting. I talked to a guy named Craig (I think) at Litespeed to get some info on my first generation and he never mentioned a recall but did seem to know a decent amount about the early stuff. Maybe I can get a free frame out of mine. ;) ya right.

Where did you hear the recall info?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i worked at a shop in santa barbara that sold all this stuff and we had the forks in stock and litespeed made us send them back and replaced them with the other style..do you have a first gen one? those things were light but the 45* miters in the corner of the crown/leg was kinda sketchy looking.

·
Registered
374 Posts
tisingle said:
...the litespeed ad was stolen from the vintage ti frame thread and shows the first gen litespeed fork...
I remember seeing this ad about a thousand times, thinking that was one hot setup. But I didn't notice till now that the seatpost is in backward...

derrrrrrr...

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
tisingle said:
i worked at a shop in santa barbara that sold all this stuff and we had the forks in stock and litespeed made us send them back and replaced them with the other style..do you have a first gen one? those things were light but the 45* miters in the corner of the crown/leg was kinda sketchy looking.
so that and they rode crappy? I have yet to take mine out as its not quite done.

By the way, its not super light, its 1.5 pounds. Just a tad lighter than a light steel fork.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i just weighed those and the litespeed weighs 755grams with a 5" long 1"steerer and the kona is 653grams with a 7.25" threadless 1 1/8th steerer. the crown on the litespeed must be made with thicker tubes, the steerer on both forks is .065". the litespeed legs are also bigger 1.25" vs. konas 1.125". my 1 1/8" tless taiwan steel fork was 845grams. the kona never felt flexy and is pretty light. i havent ridden the litespeed in over 10 years and dont remember how it felt. i talked to xacd about building a ti unicrown but they said they couldnt. fishy how much does that ?serotta? fork weigh? any ideas on who built it? is it russian? they make the unicrown sibex 700c forks.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
To be honest I don't remember which version I had but it didn't have press in dropouts, they were welded, What I didn't like about it was all the flex in the steerer. I didn't trust it in technical stuff and it got a little squirly on fast washboard. My boss at the time who owned Absolute Bikes in Flag had one with an 1 1/8 steerer that he liked and he said it road quite a bit better than the one I had so I can only assume it was the steerer. I also remember a couple of the one inch forks comming back with the steeres broken at the last thread. I actually have a Ti IRD that I liked the feel of better and still ride today. A little heavier and a little flexier for and aft but it doesn't seem to twist like the Litespeed did.

·
Let me ask my wife
358 Posts
Wanted

I'm looking for a Ti IRD fork or similar. Must be about 400mm in length.

·
pepito
640 Posts
dang......what i wouldn't give for one of those ti project II's. if anyone has one available, drop me a PM, i might be willing to take it off your hands.

the_dude

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.