Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this site Toronto Cycles and I had to buy a couple of bolts. But even if you'd rather spend your money elsewhere, where would you replace a heavy rusting steel bolt (or fastener) to lighten your bike, or just for kicks, or have you already?

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jonw9 said:
Is there a "typical" bolt size list someplace, like rotor bolts are M5x10, water bottle bolts are ??, etc?
If you check the site, they give the "typical sizes". a Water bottle bolt is 5mm. M5x 8.5-10 is typical.

·
Registered
242 Posts
jonw9 said:
Is there a "typical" bolt size list someplace, like rotor bolts are M5x10, water bottle bolts are ??, etc?
There's a link on the torontocycle site that shows you how to measure bolts. I wasn't sure of the pitch of a few bolts at a few places of the bike so I just took one of each off, tagged them with wired tags and took them down to the local hardware store and matched them up with nuts that fit and then wrote down the pitch of the threads according to the label of the boxes of the corresponding nuts.

aka brad said:
Does one use Ti crank bolts on a Ti BB axle?
Yep, just make sure to torque down the crank arms with some steel bolts first so the crank arms will seat on the spindle properly. Then back the steel bolts out and slap some anti-seize or ti-prep on the ti bolts before you install them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
umarth said:
So if you swap every bolt on your bike to titanium, how much weight are you saving?

If you use titanium, does anyone care?
Having to swap rusty bolts out every year is irritating at least to me. A typical steel bolt cost about 30 cents average and a titanium equivalent cost $3 so the difference in price is worth not having to worry about switching out another rusty bolt again. Weight difference may not even be a quarter pound but that's not the reason I went with titanium so I never bother to weigh the steel and titanium bolts to find out the difference. Also enough people are obsessed about the weight of their bikes that there is a weight weenie sub forum. Some people at that forum are even sick enough to use aluminum bolts on their stem, seatpost, rotors and calipers! That's risking their life to save grams.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use 'em because of the corrosion-resistance for bottle cages and fenders. On my road bike I have a titanium freeehub body (DA). Long ago I had a Ti road bike frame and swapped out everything possible to titanium--brake center bolts, cable fixing bolts, seat clamp bolts, etc. Then I realized it was a waste of money, because a set of lightweight wheels and lots of hill-climbing did more for my performance than any collective set of bike components.

·
The Brutally Handsome
1,257 Posts
I find that some people tend to overlook my titanium bolts, so I like to casually slip it into the conversation:

Person: What trail should we ride this weekend?

Me: I could ride any trail because I have titanium bolts.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,311 Posts
Sizzler said:
I find that some people tend to overlook my titanium bolts, so I like to casually slip it into the conversation:

I say pretty much the same thing, except I explain that I have titanium nuts.

--sParty

·
surly inbred
1,539 Posts
If a ti bolt falls to the forest floor... does anyone care?

How many ti bits does it take to negate one IPA?

Do sParty's ti nuts come pre-anti-seized?

WWCSR????
(what would Charlie Sheen roll?)

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TroutBum said:
If a ti bolt falls to the forest floor... does anyone care?

How many ti bits does it take to negate one IPA?

Do sParty's ti nuts come pre-anti-seized?

WWCSR????
(what would Charlie Sheen roll?)
WWCSB

What would Charlie Sheen bang? LOOOOSER!

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Sizzler said:

You got uber-hypothetical, Mr. Sizzler, since I haven't seen your arse on a trail in a couple months...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.