Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it's another custom Lynskey post. Picked this bike up from Lynskey in Chattanooga a few weeks ago. I've been riding as much as the weather will allow. I've tried another tweak here and there upon each ride. I think I have finally settled an stem height a set back. Woke up on Christams Eve and headed over to the mountains. It was an oddly beautiful day for December 24th. Did a fairly big epic of fireroads, asphalt and singletrack. The bike was as solid as on 29'er I've thrown a leg over. It's stiff as a brick at the crank but as some nice compliance when descending. This bike is so solid that it just wants to keep straight. It almost feels like it has a steering damper. It seems to always correct itself back to a straight line. The guys at Lynskey really got this one dialed. Here's a few of the shots I took this Christmas Eve.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we saw the bear as soon as we started up the mountain. There was a cub in the tree as well. I wanted to get a closer shot but bear wrestling is not my thing. On the way down the mountain I startled a 6 point Buck and chased him for a bout 0.5 mile before he dropped off the trail.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Yeah, tell more about that downtube. It looks just awesome. And is it really twisted or does it just has a different shape with some strange angles in it? I'm curious...

And it must be really cool to find some bears while biking... The only thing I see here is a rabbit, sometimes a deer and that's almost it...
No problems with aggresive bears?

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what Lynskey calls their "Helix" tube. There has been much discussion about it on this forum. Some love it and some hate it. Personally, I like it or I would requested straight tubes only. Makes the bike look somewhat unique. It certainly feels stiff. For more info about helix tubes you can check out this link.

http://lynskeyperformance.com/morespeed/

Black Bears are pretty common around here in East Tennessee but I have never had a problem. There have been some reported attacks in recent years but it's pretty rare. I've encountered them a few times on bike but they usually shuffle off the trail at their leisure. I would be less comfortable on foot. A few years ago a "riding friend" had a high speed road crash with a bear. He was descending the Foothills Parkway and a bear walked in front of him and they collided. He was pretty beat-up but I believe the bear left under his own power.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
banks said:
Please route your front brake cable housing correctly.

Sweet bear.
Sorry about that. It didn't realize the way I choose to route my brake cable would be call for a reprimand. Would you care to enlighten me on the correct way to route a front brake cable?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Inside the fork leg. ;)
Yep, the cable/hose is a bit more vulnerable on the outside: more possibilities to get snagged or crushed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
perttime said:
Yep, the cable/hose is a bit more vulnerable on the outside: more possibilities to get snagged or crushed.
Hmm...okay. I've been routing my front disc brake cable on the outside of the fork leg for the past decade or so. Didn't realize it made a difference? I guess, I just prefer it that way. It always seemed like routing on the inside presented a greater chance for a brake failaure. If the zip tie broke, wouldn't the cable be more likley to get into the spokes? Maybe I'll try it on the inside next time I run cables but for now I'm fine with the way it is.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Schultz29 said:
Hmm...okay. I've been routing my front disc brake cable on the outside of the fork leg for the past decade or so. Didn't realize it made a difference? I guess, I just prefer it that way. It always seemed like routing on the inside presented a greater chance for a brake failaure. If the zip tie broke, wouldn't the cable be more likley to get into the spokes? Maybe I'll try it on the inside next time I run cables but for now I'm fine with the way it is.
Use a fresh zip tie and you won't have to worry. Besides, there is more chance you would lay the bike down on the side and nick the housing, or worse, pull the hose clean off than there would be for a zip tie failure.

.........or do as you have always done and suffer the disdain of persnickety bike mechanics on mtbr.com. Your choice. :D :p

·
Registered
842 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Use a fresh zip tie and you won't have to worry. Besides, there is more chance you would lay the bike down on the side and nick the housing, or worse, pull the hose clean off than there would be for a zip tie failure.

.........or do as you have always done and suffer the disdain of persnickety bike mechanics on mtbr.com. Your choice. :D :p
I run my brake hose on the outside of the fork leg too. There are few things more annoying on this forum than the hose/cable routing police. :madman:

A bunch of Chicken Littles worried about snagging the hose on something. I've never had a problem and figure my pedals and handlebars cut a much wider path than the brake line on the outside of my fork.

BTW - Nice looking bikes and pics!

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Stahr_Nut said:
I run my brake hose on the outside of the fork leg too. There are few things more annoying on this forum than the hose/cable routing police. :madman:

A bunch of Chicken Littles worried about snagging the hose on something. I've never had a problem and figure my pedals and handlebars cut a much wider path than the brake line on the outside of my fork.

BTW - Nice looking bikes and pics!
Don't let it get to you. ;)

Do what you want with your hose routing, I really don't care. The important thing is to ride. :D

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stahr_Nut said:
What model fender is that on the Lynskey?
The fender is a work in progress. I had Lynskey add water bottle type bosses on the seat stay bridge and the chain stay bridge so, that I could fabricate a rear fender. On past 26" wheeled bikes I always ran a rear fender especially in winter. Keeps mud off my butt and ice off my front derailluer. The fender I'm using is a Planet Bike for 700c wheels. It was very cheap and I simply lined it up with my frame holes and drilled the fender to make it fit. However, it's not perfect and tapers down a bit towards the chain stays which allows some mud and ice to splatter around the FD. I would love to find a custom fender fabricator to get a one-off design. Know anybody?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.