Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got it put together and took it for a spin. Not a bad ride :thumbsup: Parts include Sugino GT cranks with a 36 tooth Buzz Saw gear, an M737 8 speed cluster shifted with a Suntour Thumbie, Avid Shorty 4 brakes with M730 levers, Gipiemme Wheelset with Specialized Roll-X tires, A Halson fork (not bad by the way) and a Yeti carbon bar in a Tioga stem. A real hodgepodge of parts but I think it turned out OK :D .

The pedals (ugly) and crankset will need to change as I have about a millimeter of clearance to the chainstay :madman: . I'm going to see if my Cooks will work, they might be the ticket. Or in honor of Rumpfy, I might put on a set of 952 XT cranks :nono:

Attachments

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
Once again...WELL DONE STAN. Amazing what you find in that yard of yours.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok....

banks said:
Grips & front brakepads are backwards
Brakepads I'll agree with but the grips? Tell me why it matters....they had identical grey on both ends in a previous life. One end was cut off for barends so now the remaining grey is the uncut end....so tell me why it matters....

And you missed that the back tire is reversed...and one of the brake hoods wasn't in place on a couple pictures...and the seat is pointing up in front just a little too much..and theres a cable end missing ;)

·
just 1 more
1,153 Posts
That' what I'm talkin about!

A prime Hoover ride:thumbsup:

Gotta say that the seatstay junction is probably the least attractive design ever. Looks like they didn't want to be bothered with the normal miter cuts and cobbed that up.

Can you feel any aero advantage to the wheels when you're in a full tuck?:D

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hahahahahaha

azjeff said:
A prime Hoover ride:thumbsup:

Gotta say that the seatstay junction is probably the least attractive design ever. Looks like they didn't want to be bothered with the normal miter cuts and cobbed that up.

Can you feel any aero advantage to the wheels when you're in a full tuck?:D
I agree with you on the seatstay, I don't know what they wuz thinkin :confused:

and oh yeah....at 5'9" and 205 pounds with most of it in a beer gut, it's gonna take ALOT more than aero wheels :D ...come to think of it, I don't think I can even DO a half tuck much less a full tuck :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Nice build. I think the seatstay junction is ugly enough to be charming. It actually looks to be more complicated to build than normal. It seems to be an attempt to create a "unicrown" type rear end to make the seatstays flex less under braking without having to use large OD tubes for the seatstays. If it actually does that, then it becomes less ugly in my eyes. I always was a function over form guy if I had to pick.

If you can't get in a full tuck, maybe you could at least put one hand behind you to decrease your frontal area. It will make you look cool too. Drafting buses downhill helps also.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XR4TI said:
That's a nice bike Stan. Didn't someone else from here have one of those?
Thanx, I think DeeEight has one. I've wondered how many were made and how many are left? I know they were made in Oregon by Titan and thats about all...anyone know more?
They are an odd looking bike but seem to be well put together.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,914 Posts
Mine came with a 127.5mm spindle, I'm running topline XLS cranks on it and there's plenty of clearance, both for the crankarms and the 56/42T rings I'm using.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
outside! said:
It seems to be an attempt to create a "unicrown" type rear end to make the seatstays flex less under braking without having to use large OD tubes for the seatstays. If it actually does that, then it becomes less ugly in my eyes. I always was a function over form guy if I had to pick.
Saying a monostay flexes the brake bosses less than a standard seatstay design is a salesman's way of saying that the monostay speeds up frame production by 33%.

But I do agree, there are a lot more miters do be done on a design like that.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
ssmike said:
Sometimes with those long asymmetrical pads, running them backwards on forks like this one helps with tire removal clearance.
On the old race bikes with symmetrical pads we used to cut/grind a little off the back of the pad on the front so it would clear the fork for easier wheel removal/install.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I agree that monostays were marketed with a lot of hype. However, larger diameter tubes flex less in torsion than smaller diameter tubes (in general, I know wall thicknesses matter, but wall thicnkesses typically used on bike frames don't change enough to overcome the diameter effect). Monostays typically (but not the Titan in question) use larger OD tube, so yes many of them do flex the brake bosses less than thin tube seatstay designs for a given tire clearance. Now rear end rigidity is a whole different story. I have one of these Titan frames, and if I ever manage to fabricate the necassary pieces for the BB and get it built up, I do expect it to be rather whippy. I'm not even sure where I will ride it as I am thinking of going SS. It will just be a lightweight, low maintainence cruise around bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts