Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are my next project frames. This titanium Titan Compe is apparently a hand made proto-type I found in the back of one of Titan's old warehouses amidst hundreds of thousands of bike parts and frames stashed away in Bethlehem PA. The other one is a Zemopi 584 FS triple butted Chromo frame. Couple o rare picks. I'm looking forward to creating two ugly fuggers outta these puppies. I've already decided to try and put an old shimano eagle derailleur on the Titan and a spinner edge 2 fork on the front. I don't know I'll have to check my inventory. One thing is for sure whatever goes on these is coming from my garage- welcome to depression era bike science. :eek:

Attachments

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
That Titan frame is pretty cool. I think it deserves a better level of components than the Eagle derailleur though.

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That Eagle derailleur is one of the best ever made (Sheldon Brown agrees with me). It's virtually indestructable and has a design unique unto itself. It has a spring loaded cable anchor so you can slam down on it as hard as you want and it keeps shifting smooth as butter. It is the only derailleur I've ever seen with this design. It's heavy, it was used on a lot of lower end bikes in the 70s but it is an amazing derailleur. I have'nt found one that shifts as well. Since the frame is so light and I'm not a weight weenie I'm not worried. They are getting harder and harder to find too. They used to be everywhere.

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
East coast distribution? I dont know. There where several manufacturers that used this perticular warehouse. I bought the Zemopi and my forks there too.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Sweet! I got nearly seven years of lots of riding out of one of those Titan frames, before it developed a nasty crack, splitting circumfrentially around the downtube a couple inches above the bb shell. Picked it up unfinished (guides and a couple other bits not totally finished) for relatively little, and for the life and times it gave me, it was money well spent!

Had the crack fixed by the guys at Dean in 2000 for a case of beer. Turned the bike into a SS commuter after that, and sold the frame off a few years later. Was a very fun ride in its prime. IRD ti fork, lots' other light goodies and fun bits. Sigh.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
da'HOOV said:
I thought Titans were made in Oregon? Why would they have a warehouse in PA?
They were built by Green Gear/Bike Friday in Eugene, but I don't think they were the only people to build them. They have a few prototypes and such hanging from the rafters in the shop. If anyone cares you could ask shiggy to take some pics while he's at work.

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
da'HOOV said:
Oh yeah, great looking build. Your bike was actually the one that inspired me not to sell the frame. Did you buy it from "Stanforbikes"?
What BB and cranks are you using, I see in the post that the ones on there did'nt have alot of clearance. I read in another post that it comes with a 127.5mm spindle. I wanted to put a single gear on the front and maybe a seven speed on the rear.

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wish I knew more about this Zemopi. It's a great triple butted, Chromo frame I found a little info on it. Looks like it went for around $900.00 in 97'. Anyone seen one in action? I never heard of it before.

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
CoalHillsMcKracken said:
Oh yeah, great looking build. Your bike was actually the one that inspired me not to sell the frame. Did you buy it from "Stanforbikes"?
"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together."

I was the "stan4bikes", they are the "stan4000bikes",
I am now "da'HOOV", goo goo g'joob

yeah, I changed my name this year to distance my postings in this forum from my eBay listings :D

·
Schipperkes are cool.
4,164 Posts
That Titan has some of the Worst Purging I have ever seen. Grey-White discoloration in the heat affected zone is very Very brittle with Ti. That is probably why that frame never saw the light of retail. I hope to 'dog' that the welder has put down his welding days & is bagging @ Shop & Save, Or has learned how to do it right.

·
Bike Dork
1,365 Posts
banks said:
That Titan has some of the Worst Purging I have ever seen. Grey-White discoloration in the heat affected zone is very Very brittle with Ti. That is probably why that frame never saw the light of retail. I hope to 'dog' that the welder has put down his welding days & is bagging @ Shop & Save, Or has learned how to do it right.
I was wondering about that myself, but my ti welding experience isn't all that much. Light straw colored with just a little rainbow is the goal right?

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
banks said:
That Titan has some of the Worst Purging I have ever seen. Grey-White discoloration in the heat affected zone is very Very brittle with Ti. That is probably why that frame never saw the light of retail. I hope to 'dog' that the welder has put down his welding days & is bagging @ Shop & Save, Or has learned how to do it right.[/QUOTE

Well I'm sitting right next to it and it's not white gray at all. It's mostly a blueish rainbow color. You are looking at a cheap digi camera with an over-exposed flash. There's always someone who finds a reason to be a critic though.

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
banks said:
Oh and it never saw the light of retail because it's a Proto-type, but I love the part about how the welder should be bagging at shop-rite since you had the chance to inspect it up close and all. yeah that was funny.

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
Just curious...how do you know it's a proto-type? Is it marked somehow or were you just told that? It looks the same as mine, are there differences? Like I said, just curious :)

FYI....by the way hillbilly, check "banks"s number of posts compared to yours...he may know something. It's usually not too bright for a new poster to come across the way you are. Just sayin...

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
It does seem odd that the "proto-type" would be found in a distributors warehouse 3,000 miles away from where the frame was manufactured.:skep:

·
Hillbilly Scientist
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I'm 41 years old and I've been riding a long time. I worked on air frames in the Marine Corps using some pretty advanced materials and I'm a pretty handy guy. As for being a new poster, does that mean I should ***** up and not repond to an aggressive post? What, he out ranks me or something? Forums are all the same. There's always people who want to jump right in and criticize peoples bikes and tell them how lame they are. That's not really my style I guess. Generally I try to be polite. I'm pretty sure he can handle my reponse though. As for the bike being a Proto-type, that's what I was told by the tech who recieved it. So who really know maybe it's not. Maybe it's just a peice of ****. Yours does'nt have a weld point at the mid section of the head tube, I guess that would be the only noticable difference.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts