Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have been lurking around here for a while now and must say that this forum is pretty dead compared to say the Turner Homer's. Soooooo I thought it was time that someone posted some pictures of their new bike build. That someone is me, so sit back and enjoy.

Finished building her this afternoon (Australian time).
Just a few adjustments to bakes and derailleurs needed now and I can go and crash her into my favourite tree. :)

Try as I might I cannot seem to be able to take a picture of her from the side with a flash without it reflecting off the stickers.

Drive side view.

Front on. Lots of black and red anodised bits on display.

Mmmmm!!!! Chris King, Thomson x2 and Hope on display.

Closer look at the Bling Bling bits.

A view from behind for all you butt men (and women too if you are into that sort of thing).

Full build for those of you who get off on that sort of stuff:

2002 XL powdercoated Santra Cruz Superlight frame
2002 Marzocchi Marathon S 100mm fork
Thomson seatpost
Thomson 100mm stem
Easton EC70 carbon bar
Anodised red Odi lock on's
Odi Rogue grips
XTR shifters and derailleurs
Performance Team Forte levers
XT M752 crankset
WTB Rocket V Race saddle
Avid Mechanical Discs front and rear with 165mm rotors
Time ATAC Alium pedals
DT Swiss SSD 210L shock
Velocity hubs laced to Velocity VXC rims

Only upgrade I plan for the moment is that I bought these:

and plan to ditch the heavy ass Velocity hubs and lace the VXC rims to them. They are American Classic disc hubs and weigh 350g for the pair according to my digital scale.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Really nice bike TR

Does it have the title of the nicest bike in Toowoomba? I should think so. When will you get to do a good shake-down ride to see if any parts fall off? I'll be doing a shake-down on the Burner tomorrow morning, finally after what 2-3 weeks.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mattman said:
Does it have the title of the nicest bike in Toowoomba? I should think so. When will you get to do a good shake-down ride to see if any parts fall off? I'll be doing a shake-down on the Burner tomorrow morning, finally after what 2-3 weeks.
MIGHT get to ride her today if the rain goes away.
Also need to get the fork sorted out. Seems to be a slight problem somewhere because when I air it up it becomes rigid.
Got the boys over on Lets talk About Shocks looking into it for me now.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
That's a really nice bike. The black/red theme looks good. I've got a buddy who built a BMX race bike in the same colors...

I'm kind of surprised to se a DT Swiss shock, don't see a lot of those around, a few, but not a lot. I don't know about DT, but on the 5th air, the strut end is about 20g lighter than the air can end, so if you want to reduce your unsprung weight, flip the shock around, but maybe the DT is better moutned that way. Either way, the difference is probably imperceptible.

Oh, and FYI, bike photo's look better in the big ring! granny/big in the rear looks slow, where big/somwhere half way in the rear looks like your going fast....

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bmadau said:
I don't know about DT, but on the 5th air, the strut end is about 20g lighter than the air can end, so if you want to reduce your unsprung weight, flip the shock around, but maybe the DT is better moutned that way. Either way, the difference is probably imperceptible.

Oh, and FYI, bike photo's look better in the big ring! granny/big in the rear looks slow, where big/somwhere half way in the rear looks like your going fast....
Yeah I also think that the shock looks better the other way around so will probably end up flipping it.

Was also wondering how long it would be before someone said anything about the gearing too. I did not notivce until after I had posted them. :rolleyes: Maybe that is why hardly anyone has commented on it. Nobody likes a slow bike no matter how pretty it is. ;)

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Bike Photos

Bike photos actually look best when the chain is in the only gear in the front and only gear in the rear. Even our nice geary's with all our trick parts look clumsy and cluttered compared to our SS bikes. You know..........they kind of ride that way too :D

So why do we even need gearys.......because we are too old and weak to ride the SS bikes everywhere. They also look cool in the garage.

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
ho hum, another SL....

hahahahaha! You and Wenji shoulda bought Blurs! Now there's a real bike!

Seriously, looks awesome TR, I've been away for a few days so had missed your post. Have you ridden it yet? They ride so well.

I'm gonna be back for a bit soon, so maybe we can go SantaCruzin. I think I'll bring my Blur - need a more allround bike than the SS. Although then I'd have an excuse for when Wenji kicks my A$$!

Cheers,

Chris

PS, I'm no WW, but what does it weigh?

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah rode it today and it felt great despite the fork only giving me 60mm of travel. I pulled it apart and it was just about overflowing with oil. Me thinks someone had no idea on what oil levels to use.

It weighs 27.6lbs so needs a slight diet. Nothing stupid but maybe a lb or so.

See you soon and perhaps semi-permanently I hear.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I took pics once of my Blur, and halfway through my "shoot" I relaized that I still had flat pedals on it. I put them on to practice wheelies and bunnyhops and such. You can't respecably post pics of a XC bike with flats on it, now could you? Especially on a weight weenie forum!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=577291#poststop

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bmadau said:
I took pics once of my Blur, and halfway through my "shoot" I relaized that I still had flat pedals on it. I put them on to practice wheelies and bunnyhops and such. You can't respecably post pics of a XC bike with flats on it, now could you? Especially on a weight weenie forum!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?postid=577291#poststop
Nice Blur.
Very stealth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.