Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for my first 650b frame to get here. As I wait so patiently, what is the best 650b tire out there?

Looking or a 2.35 tire, got baby head rocks on trails around here, and my fav. trail is always wet somewhere. Slapping these things on a hard tail, if that matters.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
My favorite combo right now is HR2 2.3 front and Ardent 2.25? on the rear. Mounted on Derby's

These are the most durable/longest wearing tires I've ridden.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Waiting for my first 650b frame to get here. As I wait so patiently, what is the best 650b tire out there?

Looking or a 2.35 tire, got baby head rocks on trails around here, and my fav. trail is always wet somewhere. Slapping these things on a hard tail, if that matters.

Thanks
V Rubber

·
wheelie king
614 Posts
My favorite combo right now is HR2 2.3 front and Ardent 2.25? on the rear. Mounted on Derby's

These are the most durable/longest wearing tires I've ridden.
Maxxis doesn't make a tubeless ready Ardent 27.5 x 2.25 do they? Are you running yours tubeless?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Ardents on my 26", love them. Running them tubeless.

Mestapho, I was leaning towards the same scenario, actually have seen that setup a few times

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Minion DHR 2.3 front: great grip, tubeless ease, super durable, 800g
Mavic CrossRoc 2.2 rear: top pick for a tough, enduro-ready tire where clearance is limited, great cornering traction and durability

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hans Dampf Snakeskin Trailstar or Maxxis Minion EXO front. Maxxis Ardent or Pacestar compound HD rear. Just avoid Nobby Nics as they wear quickly according to every review and forum.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Does the Pacestar compound make enough of a difference on the HD's to provide a decent lifespan? I tried a Pacestar Racing Ralph and the side knobs were peeling off after 2 months. I've been "HD curious", but the short lifespan I got from the RaRa with the supposedly more durable compound has scared me off. My trails are really tough on tires. Also ....HD's are only available in 2.25" with Pacestar, right?

I don't have any personal X-King experience, but they don't get very good reviews for riding in anything other than XC hardpack conditions.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Im in decision mode on a set right now. I have loved Ardents - in 2.4 size on my 29er - which I just sold. the 2.25 kinda underwhelmed me for all over hookup compared to the 2.4....

So - stock build come w 2.25 frt/rr but thinking about the HRII on front, on both ends (2.3 rr, 2.4 frt) or Ardent 2.4 rr, HRII frt... so many decisions...

as your combo is that same I'm contemplating on my Sight - do you find at all the front to be "square" in profile? would you run it front and rear (i did demo a process 153 in moab with HRII in moab last fall - and holy crap were they burly and hooked up on the rocks... but all new tires should)

thanks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts