Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
I use the panaracer fire XC pro tires myself, and I like them alot... great company to deal with if you have a problem..

a lot of folks put the kenda blue groove on the rear, and kenda nevegal on the front.. both of these tires are cross country tires, as are the panaracers.. but for light free riding they are great...

·
Registered
500 Posts
shiggy said:
If money was not an issue I would have tires made to my specs and not care about the cost.
that is a real helpful answer...lol

all kidding aside I would like to hear your opinion on tires that are manufactured already....

have you tried some real expensive tires that were really really good.. like worth the high price?

from what I can tell most of the high end tires are either race tires, that get great traction but treadlife is very short, because of the soft compounds used...

downhill tires that are very heavy with super thick sidewalls.

or studed winter tires..

but I am far from an expert.... still trying to learn myself..

·
Registered
80 Posts
superbabs said:
all mountain alot of everything except mud not to much of that. and some soft sand like 2 inch to 5 inch deep
Budget or no budget, I'd take the same combo I'm running right now:
front - WTB Timberwolf 2.5 race
rear - Panaracer Cinder 2.25

If my frame could handle the width I'd change that rear to either another Timberwolf 2.5 or possibly a Fire FR 2.4.

My tires grip like crazy, break out and drift smoothly when needed, and never pinch flat at less than 30 psi in the Twolf and less than 35 in the Cinder. Both of these tires brought a level of improvement to my rides that I didn't know was possible.

... But I also think there are a good number of tires out there that can do that for your own rig too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Aside from the weight, I love WTB velociraptors. I've tried "upgrading" numerous times to the latest gotta have tire, but find the WTB's to have the best all-around balance for me. They grip well in the loose stuff without dragging a ton on the hardpack. They also stand up to jagged rocks and broken manzanita -- plus they seem to resist punctures better than most tires too.

2nd choice are the fire XC pros. Pretty decent all-around tire, although the rear gives me some trouble with loose climbs.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
massmang said:
that is a real helpful answer...lol

all kidding aside I would like to hear your opinion on tires that are manufactured already....

have you tried some real expensive tires that were really really good.. like worth the high price?

from what I can tell most of the high end tires are either race tires, that get great traction but treadlife is very short, because of the soft compounds used...

downhill tires that are very heavy with super thick sidewalls.

or studed winter tires..

but I am far from an expert.... still trying to learn myself..
I almost always pick a different tire for every condition and whim.

To continue with the OP's premise and then limit it to only tires on the market, buy them all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I second the WTB V-raptors. I have had them on my old bike for a few months now and never had a problem.
My new bike came with Specialized Resolutions, and after 2 "real" rides I have not had a problem. but time will tell with tread loss and more testing :)

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
Dawg Fu said:
Budget or no budget, I'd take the same combo I'm running right now:
front - WTB Timberwolf 2.5 race
rear - Panaracer Cinder 2.25
I've run that too. Good stuff. Want to try the Weirwolf LT if the prices come down at some point

·
What's that smell?
468 Posts
They would be made from a compound that includes poisonous dart frogs, that glowing green radioactive stuff you see in movies and the blood of Keith Richards and they would cost a million bucks per tire.

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
massmang said:
I use the panaracer fire XC pro tires myself, and I like them alot... great company to deal with if you have a problem..

a lot of folks put the kenda blue groove on the rear, and kenda nevegal on the front.. both of these tires are cross country tires, as are the panaracers.. but for light free riding they are great...
bass-ackwards methinks - BG front, Nev rear.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.