Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just about convinced that tire sealants won't seal my tires, rear specifically.. They were holding air relatively well all weekend, only needing a little air every now and then. Someone posted that thier tires took a couple of days to seal up when they went tubeless so I thought I'd have to do the same and just be patient. Well, they didn't need any air this morning when I got ready for my ride, so I tought all was well. Afer about 15 mins of riding I thought the back tire was getting a little low, but I blew it off.. After about 22mins, I knew it was low and hoped I could get back to my truck.. I tired, and failed, and walked for about a mile and a half. I looked at my tire and I could litterally see thousands of little pinholes where sealant was seeping out, like a real fine seive. The front is doing ok. Maybe my problem is the fact that the tires are about a year old now and new tires would seal better?

On the bright side, I've finally got my Blur put together! Not as light as I would've liked, but I compromised and got some parts that I could get, rather than wait untill I could afford the parts I want..

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
What type of tire? I had the same issue with Conti Explorer Supersonics. What I did: After putting in the Stans I let the tire lay on it's side overnight so the Stans could work itself into the pours of the sidewall. Next day turn the tire over and do the same for the opposite side. Other people add some latex solution to the Stans or some Slime which seems to seal the pinholes more thoroughly. After time the Stans will thicken and provides a better barrier for these pinholes. In the first couple of weeks the tire would only hold air long enough for a ride, now it will go days before needing air. A bit more work but worth it for this tire me thinks.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are IRC Mythos tires.. Today, I tried to ride again, after putting a tube back in the rear tire. Just a standard tube, not the heavy duty thorn proof deals I previously ran. This time the rear did ok, but the front got a puncture and stans failed to seal, well at least not right away. By the time the sealant plugged the hole, there wasn't enough air left to ride it. I tired anyway, but the tire rolled and teh bead burpped some air out, so I resumet walking.

I guess for where I ride, lightweight tires are not an option. I havn't been riding, long, and I've only been riding in this one area. I went to Big Bear for the first time last week, and couldn't beleive how smooth the trails were. If I rode places like that, I'd probably never have any issues.. But big bear is too far away to drive to a couple of times a week to ride, when my regular riding area is only 10 mins from my house.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Try 2.3's or wider

Been riding UST wheels w/ UST tires for a few years. This year decided to try stnd tires w/Stan's and am having mixed results. Have had more flats in the past 3 mo. than the last 3 years.

Even so, I'm not giving up on this idea. Found that the small volume tires just don't cut it. Anything below a 2.1(actual) is too hard to seat and the ones I've tried had a tendency to burp air, which is not a good sound to hear when your jammin'.

KOW, seem to have found a good combo, Big/King Jims. Have a few rides with no probs. The Jims are 2.25s (540g), Kings are 2.35s(640g) are a full knob but roll nicely.

Definately have to let them cure overnight though. There is such a wide range of sidewalls out there. If they start out leaking, they may seal for a while but its a sign the walls aren't going to cut it in the near future.

Try another tire, Good Luck

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was previously running 550 gram tubes with 550 gram tires, so about 1100 grams per wheel, and that never flatted in over a year. I guess UST tires around 750grams with some sealant is still a lot lighter than what I was running, or I can just do like my friends and invest in some tube company's stock and keep an inventory of standard tubes on hand. Anyway, thanks..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.