Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently have a set of 2.5 Kenda Nevegals Stick-E Wire. I want to get a lighter tire, but stick with the Kenda Nevegal Stick-E. I am wondering what the difference is in durability between the 2.35 Folding and the 2.35 Wire. The folding is a lot lighter and thats what I'm looking for. 2.5 Nevegal Sick-E Wire is 1350 grams and 2.35 Nevegal Stick-E Folding is 790 grams. About a 1.3 lb savings per tire.
Thanks

Link to Kenda Nevegal page with the tires I'm looking at.
http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html#Nevegal

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
From what I remember, the 2.5 Stick-E wire has the downhill casing which explains the substantial weight difference. I just weighed the Nev 2.35 Stick-E and it weighed in at 722 grams.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Yeah, the website has this description:

"Downhill version has 2 ply construction, wire bead and STICK-E Compound for better grip
Freeride / XC version is single ply, folding bead, STICK-E Compound or DTC (Dual Tread Compound)
Both versions have tall Knobs designed to penetrate and hold on to loose terrain "

Durability will depend on your riding - if you're doing heavy DH in a rocky area, the folding tires may take a beating. If you end up getting a lot of pinchflats or tearing sidewalls, you can just go back to the DH version.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts