Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions,opinions,that is what I'm looking for.I would have used shiggy's tire site but I chose not to because I'm hoping to get several opinions.I'm from Lane County & this is where I usually ride.sSo if you ride these parts & you're reading this feel invited to reply.Basically I wonder what tire combos you guys use this time of year on the west side, oakridge,whypass,mrt? thanks to all who reply!

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
dagooch8 said:
Opinions,opinions,that is what I'm looking for.I would have used shiggy's tire site but I chose not to because I'm hoping to get several opinions.I'm from Lane County & this is where I usually ride.sSo if you ride these parts & you're reading this feel invited to reply.Basically I wonder what tire combos you guys use this time of year on the west side, oakridge,whypass,mrt? thanks to all who reply!
I have one bike set up for "dry" conditions, at least as dry as it gets around here in the winter. That bike has Kenda Blue Groove up front, and I have a IRC Trailbear on the back, just cause it was laying around my garage and i needed a new back tire. I love the Blue Groove, but at 2.5, its a bit wide. The back tire is fine, but id recommend a Nevegal instead.

On my "mud" bike, saved specifically for Whypass mud (since i wont ride in the mud anywhere else)
It's got a Specialized Storm Control on the front, and a Schwalbe Black Shark Mud tire on the back. Storm controls arent made anyomre, so dont bother looking. Good mud tires should have tall, firm knobs that are well spaced to help shed mud. Also, there is a debate ongoing about whether skinny or wide tires are best. Skiiny tires will dig down thru deep mud to find trction at the bottom, and wide tires can help "float" thru boggy sections.Everyone used to ride narrow (1.8) tires in the mud, but lately, more folks are riding wider mud tires and liking them.

Good luck

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my set up

cool thanks for the info.About a week ago I rode why pass,and found that the setup I had(IRC seracXC)just didn't hookup ,which I kind of anticipated.These work well for me about everywhere else p`rty much.I've since purchased a pair I call my whypass tires.(frnt,2.25 IRC mud mad dh(huge kknnoBs)&rear,tioga factory mud 1.95 ; so far so good. Got a good deal.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Those will work great. The Tioga can pack up when the conditions are sticky.

The tires I use most of the time are the Spider, Black Shark Mud, Storm Control and Panaracer TrailRaker.

The TrailRaker and BSMud are my favorites.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what about width on frnt.tr

also how do you feel about a skinny frnt for more control or wider,which helps push issues??sorry about the wording.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I tend to prefer narrow(ish) tires f&r. A wider front tire can work well depending on the conditions and tire tread (and fork clearance). Tall and widely spaced is usually better on any tires.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
dagooch8 said:
....I would have used shiggy's tire site but I chose not to because I'm hoping to get several opinions.I'm from Lane County & this is where I usually ride.sSo if you ride these parts & you're reading this feel invited to reply.Basically I wonder what tire combos you guys use this time of year on the west side, oakridge,whypass,mrt? thanks to all who reply!
Don't forget that shiggy rides the same stuff that you do... he designed and helped build many of the trails at Whypass and perhaps knows Lane County mud better than anyone else I know (and I've been riding in it for the past 20 winters). I'm not saying you should seek only shiggy's opinion and shun all others, but even if you did so I doubt you'd go wrong. :)

Personally I'm running WTB Timberwolves front (2.5") & rear (2.3"). I just put them on a couple weeks ago so the jury is still out, but so far so good. Nothing hooks up perfectly in the mud, plus the medium is changing throughout the winter and some tires work better in certain kinds of mud than in other kinds of mud. And there are myriad kinds of mud.

My most favorite mud tire of all time is the wider version of the Schwalbe Black Shark Mud. But try to find one.

As you may be able to tell, I'm one of those guys who prefers a wider mud tire over a narrower one. I've run 1.8" Mud Mads & Storm Controls for years but during the past couple winters I've gone to the wide side and I prefer it. FWIW I'm ~190 lbs. I think weight matters when it comes to tire width in the slop.

--Sparty

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

thanks guys.I wish I could get out to whypass on a wednesday night to meetup with yous guys but for one ,I have a light on order but haven't received it yet & for 2 i have a bum ankle/foot from a suspected pair of ill fitting Specialized shoes ,my bad should have spent more on my feet.....however this shouldn't keep me off my bike for too long(week or two) Will anybody be doing any trail prep for that ride in jan??I'd like to help if so...... later :D :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
Dont Forget

The Arrow Mud X tires. They offer great traction and clear really well. Plus it's an Oregon comapny. I think Shiggy's tried them before, what did you think?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,319 Posts
unoveloce said:
The Arrow Mud X tires. They offer great traction and clear really well. Plus it's an Oregon comapny. I think Shiggy's tried them before, what did you think?
I've tried the Mud X's. Great looking knob pattern but for some reason the Mud X is one of the slipperiest tires I've experienced. I don't know if it's the rubber compound they use or what. If the mud is really soft or soupy, they're good. If it's firmer ground that's wet on top or there's plenty of wet rocks &/or roots, there are other winter tires I like better.

--Sparty

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
My $.02

dagooch8 said:
thanks guys.I wish I could get out to whypass on a wednesday night to meetup with yous guys but for one ,I have a light on order but haven't received it yet & for 2 i have a bum ankle/foot from a suspected pair of ill fitting Specialized shoes ,my bad should have spent more on my feet.....however this shouldn't keep me off my bike for too long(week or two) Will anybody be doing any trail prep for that ride in jan??I'd like to help if so...... later :D :D
I have found what works great for me is a wider, 2.3ish tire up front and narrow 1.8-2.0 in the back. I have a stock of Storm Controls that I use for the back and still believe it to be one of the best mud tires of all times for a back tire. I have been using my Timberwolf up front as of late and like it, nice wide foot print, doesn't seem to pack and it has good cornering knobs (important for leaning that bike over on slippery corners). Of course I have ridden with a couple guys that have run mostly slicks without much problem, makes me wonder what makes the biggest difference....rider or tires?

As to trail prep, yes we will be doing a day coming up sometime in Jan, probably the 8th or 14/15th weekend. Keep your eye on the DOD yahoo group for actual date. You can always head out to work on stuff on your own if you want, work is always welcome out there.

And get that light and come on out, it's always great to meet new folks and ride with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.