Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to expand my tire horizon. Therefore, I am interested in what people are running front and back and what sizes and where you mostly ride. How do you like the tires you are currently running? Since tires are expensive, I'd like opinions first before I buy more of them.:)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
All my tires are set up with stans tubeless system, worth it to me for preventing flats and the lower pressure. Lower pressure makes all my tires grip better.

I run Continental Mountain King 2.2's on my 26" rigid SS, I have the Supersonic version and they grip very well. They don't seem too durable (well they are super light so no surprise there), and I have a small tear in the sidewall of one, after maybe 5 months of riding. I wouldn't recommend these with the stans, but the protection sidewall ones may be good. ( see next paragraph) I ride these on my local trails in swansea, mostly loamy, smooth singletrack.

I use the continental gravity 2.3 with protection sidewall on my fs rig and they are much burlier and make a much better tubeless setup. I don't think they grip the loamy stuff as good as the mountain king, but with this bike I can just roll over stuff as opposed to threading a line so I like em. I ride this bike mostly in technical singletrack, Freetown, Vietnam, Borderlands, etc.

I also just got a 29er and it came with stock maxxis ignitors. So far I like them, but its been tough to judge anything because of the switch to the 29er and the rapidly changing conditions (dry/muddy/frozen/complete swamp) we've been riding in lately.

Hope this helps, I guess my point is I'm on a Continental kick, I like the tires and the rubber compound, and if you search you can find deals occasionally.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Ride Boston North Shore trails, Lynn Woods, Harold Parker, Vietnam, Highland, KT, etc. Mostly heavy AM/light Freeride but I'm not afraid of some good ole XC griding.

Currently running Maxxis Ardent 2.4 on back and Big Betty 2.4 upfront on my main rig. Riding Maxxis Crossmarks 2.1 front and back on my XC race bike.

I'm really liking these Ardent tires. They stick well on flat rock, shed mud reasonably well, work well in the wet, and have amazing cornering. The Big Betty is pretty good to. Probably my second favorite. I rode Fat Albert 2.35's before and they were good but had problems in wet loose gravely stuff. Anything less than real 2.3's and I flat way too much.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ride some north shore trails, HP, LWoods, and XC riding Great Brook and the Fells. Currently, I run Fat albert 2.35s rear and WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 on front.Recently I have used Nevegal Stick-E 2.35s (rolls like a tractor's threads), Ritchey Vector Pro 2.4s.

XC riding: Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1, Continental Vapor 2.1.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ride mosty XC. Trails have many wet roots. I run WTB Weirwolf 2.1 front and rear on one bike and 2.5 on my other. The bike with the 2.1 tires was bought with WTB mutano raptors but had problems with the wet roots. My FR bike came with the Weirwolfs and I didn't any traction problems. So I tryed the 2.1's on my XC bike and Bingo she hooks now!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
514 Posts
I ride only XC, but very fast. My bike came with IRC Synchros 2.25s and had no compaints. Once the tread wore out, I switched to Kenda Nevegal 2.1s for front and rear.
Holy smokes! What a difference! The tires are extremely fast on the dry stuff, hook up well with the side walls on off camber roots and rocks, and really, really, dig deep climbing up slippery hills. I've cleaned some really steep climbs with these tires, whereas the old ones would wash out and make me dismount the bike. I almost think, they're too aggressive in the wet stuff as it seems you have to really work on the climb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.