Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tires never measure up to the posted size. In the companies defense it is not an exact science to make tires perfect, but I literally haven't had a tire measure up for years until this one. Schwalb Hans Damph 2.35 x 27.5 looks gigantic only because it measures up to 2.362" or 60mm with calipers.

The volume of the tire is really impressive. I measured several different width around the tires, from outer knob to outer knob. Actual weight was 774 grams which is also lower than the advertised 795 grams.

Please post your tires that measure up (actual width).

·
mtbpete
1,304 Posts
The inside width of the rim makes a difference with how wide the tire is, so you will want to include that info.

This has really all been done before and talked about in other forum posts. Many tires do not match or come close to their listed size, but rims make a huge difference now. Weight's also can vary significantly.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My Maxxis tires stretch... so when you first install them they are thinner than advertised...give them a week of riding and they are exactly the width they say...

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Both my Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4ft and Conti Trailking 2.4 measure a bit wider than advertised. Spec clutch 2.3 was dead on 2.3 wide. I have owned zero Maxxis tires that have measured the correct width new or used. I ran a 2.7 DHF Minion to get a true 2.5 wide Minion.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The inside width of the rim makes a difference with how wide the tire is, so you will want to include that info.

This has really all been done before and talked about in other forum posts. Many tires do not match or come close to their listed size, but rims make a huge difference now. Weight's also can vary significantly.
I disagree. In order for rim width to really effect tire width, the rim has to be substantially bigger. I moved from a 21mm internal rim width to a 25mm internal rim width and the difference in tire width is negligible.

Also, check out this article. They used 24mm width rim and 36mm rim which is a big difference in rims that you would never use on the same bike. It shows that the big 12mm difference in rim width doesn't really show much increase in width. Where did you get your info? I would like to see it.

29er Tires on Different Rim Width Comparison

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Schwalbe tires seems to be pretty accurate in their sizing and weight but they are pricey.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My maxxis dhf 2.35 has 52-559 written on the sidewall. Indeed, it measures really close to 52mm, but that's nowhere near 2.35 inches,more like 2.1. So,stated width in mm is pretty accurate, but nominal width in inches is way off.

Both my specialized the captain and fast track measure a mm or two shy off the stated width. The captain 2.2 claims 56mm and the FT 2.2 55mm. They do have quite a tall profile though,so volume wise they look and feel spot on for their stated size.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I disagree. In order for rim width to really effect tire width, the rim has to be substantially bigger. I moved from a 21mm internal rim width to a 25mm internal rim width and the difference in tire width is negligible.

Also, check out this article. They used 24mm width rim and 36mm rim which is a big difference in rims that you would never use on the same bike. It shows that the big 12mm difference in rim width doesn't really show much increase in width. Where did you get your info? I would like to see it.

29er Tires on Different Rim Width Comparison
Actually, the charts in the link along with several other sources I have seen, indicate that section width changes by about 1/3 the width difference. The tire sections in the link increased by about 4 mm when going from a 24 mm rim to 36 mm. That's 0.157" which would make a 2.25" tire have a width like a 2.4".

Back on subject: Surf around in the link (mtbtires.com) and you'll find lots of detailed charts of measured size, weight, diameter, and effective volume. It's the best source I have found on actual tire sizes. :thumbsup:

Check this too: http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/wh...an-bike-magazine-bike_magazin_tires_tests.pdf

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
Actually, the charts in the link along with several other sources I have seen, indicate that section width changes by about 1/3 the width difference. The tire sections in the link increased by about 4 mm when going from a 24 mm rim to 36 mm. That's 0.157" which would make a 2.25" tire have a width like a 2.4".
True. The diameter should increase by 1/3.14, that old Pi thing.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
All the Geax recent offerings are exactly as marked on the sidewall i.e. 58-559 is a 58mm and a 57-584 is a 57mm width tire[ across the widest part of the tire]. And that's just at 30 psi not a ridiculous 60 psi like some mfg use to spec there tire sizes.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You guys should check out the Mich. WildGrip'r2 29x2.25, one of my best tires. Light at 730g and huge in width. Also fast rolling!! True 2.25 size just as advertised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts