Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a little racing in the winter, and I'm getting sick of seeing the guys on the fat bike pull away from me when the snow gets soft. Among many other questions, I am trying to figure out what is the best tire/rim combination for racing. I also ride snowmobile trails and snow covered singletrack... so generally at least loosely packed surfaces. I weight 170 lbs (and hope to loose 20 pounds) so I suspect I don't need as big of wheels as heavier folks. I want to roll fast, but I figure I need enough grip in the back to get uphill and hardy enough side knobs on the front to keep the front wheel on track.

Last note, I have seen some of the racers at the Triple-D in Davenport, IA with a fatter rim on the back than the front. Makes sense to me since most of my weight is going on the rear tire.

I'm kind of thinking about Marge Lite on front and Rolling Darryl (w/ cuttouts) in back, and either Escalator, Larry or Knard for tires.

Any racers out there have any thoughts?

·
aka bOb
8,813 Posts
If you want a little wider I would go unholy RD's and drill the poop out of them. You can get them pretty close to the weight of the Marge lites.

·
Registered
356 Posts
marge lites with huskers ?
Thats what I use on my Pug. Wheels are build with Chris King hubs, DT Revo spokes and brass nipples and weigh 1064 front and 1234 rear with rim strip and wide yellow tape. The HuDu´s weigh 1157 and 1314.

I've raced it a few times on sandy forest single track trails with good results (but I'm much slower on the Pug than on my SS 29er on the same trails...)

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, my Beargrease frame is on order, and I still don't know what I want to do for snow-racin' tires. Larry, Knard, Husker Du and Escalator all speak to me.

If I knew more about the tread depth on the 45NRTH tires I might be able to make a better educated guess.

Attachments

·
viva la v-brakes!
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are the tires I have been riding for the past 4 winters on 44mm Snowcat rims. This has been an excellent tire set up. The Weirwolfs in the back has plenty of traction but still rolls pretty fast. The Timberwolf in the front; well the trimmed tread kept rolling resistance down, and then the huge side-knobs kept things under control when I got off balance in loose snow or ruts. I don't think this will be as big of a problem with full fat bike tires though. I placed a tentative order for the 45NRTH Escalators... but now I'm thinking I should have the Knard in the back and the Larry in the front since it would replicate my current set up fairly well... I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Here are the tires I have been riding for the past 4 winters on 44mm Snowcat rims. This has been an excellent tire set up. The Weirwolfs in the back has plenty of traction but still rolls pretty fast. The Timberwolf in the front; well the trimmed tread kept rolling resistance down, and then the huge side-knobs kept things under control when I got off balance in loose snow or ruts. I don't think this will be as big of a problem with full fat bike tires though. I placed a tentative order for the 45NRTH Escalators... but now I'm thinking I should have the Knard in the back and the Larry in the front since it would replicate my current set up fairly well... I think.

If that's what you've been using, you're in for a treat.

·
Registered
189 Posts
here's my $0.02....

tires - 45NRTH escalators (great width:weight ratio, agressive tread, studdable)
rims - holey RD's or Uma II 70's
tubes - tubeless or Q-tubes UL
nips - alloy
spokes - dt revo's
tape - ribbon/packing tape

1 - 8 of 8 Posts