Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, what tires and/or tire combos are you running in Tahoe/Truckee, less Northstar?

I havent ridden in the decomped granite in ages so curious what seems most popular now with more climbing and rapid shredding?

TIA

·
Freezer
606 Posts
I just spent a week there on a DHF 2.5 front, Aggressor 2.3 rear and it worked great going up and down.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
Thx 5k!

Please explain your reasoning?

Also, Vigilante front and rear?

Thx
See those transition knobs on the WTB Vigilante as compared with DHF? Makes the tire more forgiving on loose stuff. If you are a rider who is quick on the edges and rails corners, then I'd go with the DHF as it has huge grip on the side knobs. But, if you're not, I'd go with the WTB on the front as it has better transition grip. On the rear I like a fast rolling tire like a Minion SS or Aggressor.

WTB Vigilante 2.5

Maxxis DHF 2.5

Attachments

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I've been curious about the new Vigilante, but f-me is it heavy.
There is a "light" version, but yep they are heavy. I'd pair with a fast rear end to compensate.

If you want light, take a XC tire, knock out it's front teeth, and you get.....

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part Synthetic rubber

Guys race these things. I couldn't imagine riding one of these on anything other than a golf cart path. But, they are ultra light and roll fast, I guess.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've done a lot of Tahoe trails this summer on DHF/DHRII 2.3", and it has worked great (including Toads yesterday with a rather worn down rear tire).

It's nice to have some knobs on the rear for the occasional sandy uphills.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Tahoe trails are pretty dusty and loose right now so you are going to want something with decently sized knobs for bite. Depending on the trail you are riding this may be more or less granite pumice which tends to have its own grip characteristics.

Also depend on the trails I would not necessarily recommend a "light" tire as I have seen my fair share of slashes from roots and the few trails that have shale (like Glass Mtn) cutting tires. I have run Vittoria TNT based tires for YEARS without any issues where as with my new bike this year I have destroyed two EXO+ Maxxis tires on the same trails. Literally had a backup Vittoria GOMA TNT that was getting a bit long in the tooth (Currently riding its 4th season without puncture or issue "knockonwood") that I had to use as a front in a pinch when I destroyed a DHF 2.35.

·
Formerly of Kent
13,148 Posts
Tahoe trails are pretty dusty and loose right now so you are going to want something with decently sized knobs for bite. Depending on the trail you are riding this may be more or less granite pumice which tends to have its own grip characteristics.

Also depend on the trails I would not necessarily recommend a "light" tire as I have seen my fair share of slashes from roots and the few trails that have shale (like Glass Mtn) cutting tires. I have run Vittoria TNT based tires for YEARS without any issues where as with my new bike this year I have destroyed two EXO+ Maxxis tires on the same trails. Literally had a backup Vittoria GOMA TNT that was getting a bit long in the tooth (Currently riding its 4th season without puncture or issue "knockonwood") that I had to use as a front in a pinch when I destroyed a DHF 2.35.
This.

I've run Mezcal 2.35s on a 120/100mm bike pretty damn quickly on the trails mentioned. Pretty durable casing which is also surprisingly supple.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
Currently on a 2.6 Magic Mary up front and a 2.4 Eddy Current on the back. Both are fantastic tires. The next set i'm sitting on are a 2.5 Vigilante x 2.4 Judge Combo which i'm stoked to try out.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
This.

I've run Mezcal 2.35s on a 120/100mm bike pretty damn quickly on the trails mentioned. Pretty durable casing which is also surprisingly supple.
Yep! I've run the Mezcal TNT G+'s, and they are bulletproof. But, for Tahoe might be a bit under-gunned unless you are a very, very precise expert level rider. They are not forgiving of mistakes, like my current Cross Kings.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There is a "light" version, but yep they are heavy. I'd pair with a fast rear end to compensate.

If you want light, take a XC tire, knock out it's front teeth, and you get.....

View attachment 1271111

Guys race these things. I couldn't imagine riding one of these on anything other than a golf cart path. But, they are ultra light and roll fast, I guess.
I rode the Whole Enchilada from Hazzard with Thunder Burts (was coming back from Leadville and didn't change tires from my race setup), worked fine (not that Moab is super loose, but it has it's moments). You would be surprised how much traction tires like that have, yeah there isn't much tread, but the casing is extremely supple, so if you have the pressure perfect there's tons of grip. Unlike a real AM/DH tire though, once you lose traction it's gone, there is no drift zone.

Bicycle fork Plant community Bicycle wheel rim Soil Bicycle wheel

For Tahoe I would ride DHF front High Roller II rear, EXO case.

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I rode the Whole Enchilada from Hazzard with Thunder Burts (was coming back from Leadville and didn't change tires from my race setup), worked fine (not that Moab is super loose, but it has it's moments). You would be surprised how much traction tires like that have, yeah there isn't much tread, but the casing is extremely supple, so if you have the pressure perfect there's tons of grip. Unlike a real AM/DH tire though, once you lose traction it's gone, there is no drift zone.

View attachment 1271319

For Tahoe I would ride DHF front High Roller II rear, EXO case.
On a hardtail! Hardcore!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.