Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations for general XC tires for the Sun Rhyno Lite rims? Mounting most tires on these rims seems nearly impossible - I've managed to mount Panaracer XC Fire Pros with my bare hands, but any other tires (i.e. Kendas) are impossible to mount, even with my Park TL-10 shop-rated tire lever tool. The rim's shallow profile seems to be the root cause for difficult mounting...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
kzoo_cyclist said:
Anyone have recommendations for general XC tires for the Sun Rhyno Lite rims? Mounting most tires on these rims seems nearly impossible - I've managed to mount Panaracer XC Fire Pros with my bare hands, but any other tires (i.e. Kendas) are impossible to mount, even with my Park TL-10 shop-rated tire lever tool. The rim's shallow profile seems to be the root cause for difficult mounting...
Use a thin rim tape. Fiber reinforced packing tape is my favorite. This helps more than anything else.

Generally avoid Ritchey tires. I have had no real issues with most others, but it can vary from model to model.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Rhyno Lites are notorious for being difficult to mount tires. For starters, if your using cloth rim tape (like Velox) remove it and use 1/2" strapping tape. This will give you a little more room for mounting tires. Besides that, the best tool I've used over the years for difficult tires is the Kool Stop Tire Jack.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
one piece crank said:
What about Continental tires? Same fit issue?

LBS has some welded Rhyno Lites and a few MTX's for cheap. Should I just get the MTX's to avoid the rim-fit issue?

Tom P.
The MTX is a 33mm wide full fledged DH rim...what type of riding do you intend to do?

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
one piece crank said:
Sorry for the confuson - I typed MTX, but I meant to type Singletrack!

Will either/both Rhyno Lite or Singletrack have the tire-fit issue?

Tom P.
Singletrack is wider and a tad heavier (~40 grams) than the Rhynolite but lighter and narrower than the MTX...kind of falls in between the two. As Shiggy mentioned, it is much easier to mount tires on than the Rhynolite.

·
one chain, two sprockets
355 Posts
ok, is there any advantage to the Rhyno Lite over the SIngletrack?

This is going on a SS play bike do-it-all:
- 32-hole wheel + 2.4" tire
- light freeride, skatepark, rocky technical singletrack

I have a set of DH wheels, so I do no what anythng heavier-duty than the Rhyno Lite or SIngletrack.

Tom P.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
one piece crank said:
ok, is there any advantage to the Rhyno Lite over the SIngletrack?

This is going on a SS play bike do-it-all:
- 32-hole wheel + 2.4" tire
- light freeride, skatepark, rocky technical singletrack

I have a set of DH wheels, so I do no what anythng heavier-duty than the Rhyno Lite or SIngletrack.

Tom P.
Rhyno Lite...40 grams less and you can run V-brakes on them

Singletrack...mounting, changing, and fixing tires/flats doesn't contribute to your overall stress in life

;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.