Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with all the tire options that will fit arches. I was sucessful in mounting a Nano-raptor on my front rim but no luck with a Kenda Small block 8 on the rear. I will be running this set-up with tubes.

·
Stayin' Puft
1,241 Posts
Huh? With tubes any 700c 29er MTB or cyclocross tire should fit. I have stan's 355 rims which are the same cross-section as arch without the reinforcement. I ran SB-8's for most of a summer. When you say "no luck"...what happened?

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
kellyjk said:
I need help with all the tire options that will fit arches. I was sucessful in mounting a Nano-raptor on my front rim but no luck with a Kenda Small block 8 on the rear. I will be running this set-up with tubes.
Take the time to watch the Stan's videos on their website - they show some tips/tricks to mounting tires. If you are using tubes - there is no reason not to use your SB8.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm currently running stans flows which are pretty similar (but slightly wider) than the arch with a SB8 on the rear. I'm guessing the problem you're having is due to the tight tire fit which is part of the rim design. That being said you might have to wrestle with the tire a bit, or possibly even use a bit of water on the rim to help the tire slide onto the rim. The tire fit is tight so when running tubeless you don't have to worry about rolling the tire off the rim at low pressures. Makes a lot of sense if you think about it, and the tire fit is far more confidence inspiring than the 'loose' fit on my DT Swiss TK7.1d rims.. I always worry about running them at too low of a pressure even with tubes.

Even though I could run the flows tubeless I'm still running tubes. The main reason for this is because I haven't found the 'magic' tire combination yet. Plus, I like experimenting with different tires. Once I have found what I feel is ideal for a season I look forward to trying them tubeless.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
kellyjk said:
From my experience, you are only limited to every available 29er tire made. :D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
On My Arches, running Rampages (tubeless) and other bike with Arches running Front Schwalbe 2.4 Racing Ralph and rear Nano (had to switch out rear Ralph cuz it rubbed on stoopid XTR front der when in small ring), both with tubes....had huge problems getting Schwalbes to take tubeless though and need to try again. Could be cuz we tried the Bontrager sealant instead of Stans which my guess is that it was a bad idea to try that....hopefully will take tubeless with Stans

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Rampage and Michelin tubeless without any trouble with mold builder, slime and window washer fluid.
Karma did not seal as well.
Would love to try R Ralph or Python. Anyone experience with those on Arches tubeless?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,287 Posts
mvi said:
Rampage and Michelin tubeless without any trouble with mold builder, slime and window washer fluid.
Karma did not seal as well.
Would love to try R Ralph or Python. Anyone experience with those on Arches tubeless?
as noted below, i had trouble with Schwalbes on Arches....tires just wouldnt hold well and continued to leak after several attempts. Also as noted below, we tried Bontrager sealant and not Stans which may be the culprit...will try again using Stans sealant

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'm just so surprised how well and easy that getto mix works with above tires. I think the rim profile is the cause. Still not sure why Karma's have much more trouble. Painting the tire with latex on the inside might help the Racing Ralph?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I could not mount the small blocks either

kellyjk said:
I was so exited to get my archs with king hubs and when I went to mount the small block 8s they did not fit period. I have changed tire hundreds of times over many years and this has never happened to me.

The tires I have been able to mount are:
racing ralph
Nevegal
Cross mark
Weir wolf 2.55 LT
IRD fire xc

The small block is my favorite rear tire and now I have to use a cross mark:mad:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Leave the guy alone....

theheavyone said:
Not trying to rip on you here, but why run tubes in the best tubeless rim design out there ???? In my opinion you're wasting the rim.
Run some yellow tape and go tubeless.................You'll be very happy.
I run tubes on my archs. I do not like dealing with all that dry semen looking stuf when changing tires...

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Zion Rasta said:
I was so exited to get my archs with king hubs and when I went to mount the small block 8s they did not fit period.
I personally know at least four people who run the SB8 on the Arch rims. Could you not get the bead on the rim, the bead to seat, the sidewalls to seal? I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I could not get the bead in the rim

slocaus said:
I personally know at least four people who run the SB8 on the Arch rims. Could you not get the bead on the rim, the bead to seat, the sidewalls to seal? I'm curious.
I followed stans video and could not get the bead over and into the rim. almost like I was mounting a smaller tire. I had the small block on the delgados. On the arches it felt like I was mounting a 26er tire on a 29er rim. I thought may be it was a kenda thing, and got the nevegal and mounted no problem. The small block seemed so small for the arches....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.