Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting a new rear tire on my bike, the old one is getting pretty bald from just using the back brake and skidding to a stop on asphalt. Their 26 x 1.95 specalized tires right now, can I go up to like 2.0 or 2.3 and just adjust the brake diffrent?? I'm thinking about getting timber wolfs, anyone give me any advice on which model for some trail riding and some street getting there? Or if I should get a diffrent brand.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
You can use any tire you want....

on your HR. As long as it fits between the chain stays your good to go, you don't have to stick with Specialized tires if you don't want to. For the most part tires in the 1.95 to 2.3 width range should fit your Hard Rock without any problems.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
HaulAss said:
I'm wanting a new rear tire on my bike, the old one is getting pretty bald from just using the back brake and skidding to a stop on asphalt. Their 26 x 1.95 specalized tires right now, can I go up to like 2.0 or 2.3 and just adjust the brake diffrent?? I'm thinking about getting timber wolfs, anyone give me any advice on which model for some trail riding and some street getting there? Or if I should get a diffrent brand.
squash's advice is good. measure the width of the current tire at the widest point (it could be the casing or the knobs, but knobs are farther into the frame so that's a good place). It's probably something like 1.9", if you've got a 1/4" or more on each side, you're likely fine to go with a 2.35" tire.

2.35" tires are usually high volume, so are much larger in diameter, as well as width.

check out shiggy's tire spec site to see the actual widths of many tires (they're often much narrower than stated).

Oh, I'm not familiar with the timberwolf tires, but I suspect they'd be pretty slow on pavement... try the search function in this forum for some info.
Without more info on your riding style & terrain, it's hard to recommendo a tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.