Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ride a 2204 haro werx xls w/ the manitou black super air 100. i am in phx so i ride a lot of sand, loose over hardpack, and all around rocky terrain. my front end is very, very sketchy and tends to wash out on uphills and downhills. i have learned to weight the front end in turns and uphills but it is still a concern. i'd like to be able to point and go versus have the front flop around like it's having a seizure! right now i have a kenda blue groove 2.1 up there, but it doesn't really seem to be related to what tire brand.

suggestions? somebody told me to go up to a 2.4 in front. i have also been given suggestions regarding adding weight (thorn resistant tubes, less pressure).

thanks.

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
bandit350 said:
i ride a 2204 haro werx xls w/ the manitou black super air 100. i am in phx so i ride a lot of sand, loose over hardpack, and all around rocky terrain. my front end is very, very sketchy and tends to wash out on uphills and downhills. i have learned to weight the front end in turns and uphills but it is still a concern. i'd like to be able to point and go versus have the front flop around like it's having a seizure! right now i have a kenda blue groove 2.1 up there, but it doesn't really seem to be related to what tire brand.

suggestions? somebody told me to go up to a 2.4 in front. i have also been given suggestions regarding adding weight (thorn resistant tubes, less pressure).

thanks.
I would agree with Shiggy. I also live in Phoenix, and I have had exceptional luck with Specialized Roll-X D2 tubeless tires. I have 6 months on the front tire and it has yet to fail me. Great on the rocks, sand, and gravel. Give the tires a try first, it is the cheaper answer, if it doesn't work, then experiment with stem lenght.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I think the weight distribution needs to be addressed first. From the description of his problems different tires will not change much.
...tends to wash out on uphills and downhills. i have learned to weight the front end in turns and uphills but it is still a concern.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
I aggree with Shiggy.....

you can play with different types of tires for the next year and still not get it right if your weight is too far back on the bike. If you have to seriously weight the front tire in the turns then you need to move your weight more forward. I personally require a more upright riding position on my bike for comfort reasons (bad back). The stock stem, 120mm, 5 dgree rise, was a perfect match for the bike, but also was uncomfortable. The 120mm, 15 degree stem that I have on it now solved this problem, but unweighted the front enough to make it a bit sketchy in the turns. To compensate I have to weight the front end more in the turns, climbing, etc. You'd be amazed at the difference moving your hand position just a few milimeters forward or back can make in the handling characteristics of the bike. Sometimes just going from a riser bar to a flat can make a world of difference. So experiment a little with either droping your hand position lower, and/or stretching out a little more. Getting your weight a little more forward will do more to correct this than tires.

Good Dirt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.