Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am thinking about setting up a set of tires and wheels for pavement rides when the trails are wet. I have just purchased a new 29r and can't seem to find any tires that look like they would be good on pavement.
Now I know that is not the intended purpose of this bike but I don't want to buy another bike.
Thanks in advance.

·
Cheesiest
1,611 Posts
I've had the best luck with Kenda SB8s

·
Magically Delicious
9,807 Posts
I bought a set of Geax Evolution 29" 1.9's for pavement. I have an extra set of 29'r wheels and thought it would be cool to have an extra set of pavement tires. I never seemed to get around to mounting them up. My preference lies with having several set's of dirt tires for different conditions. I use those perhaps more than I would the street tires, but who knows?

I would like to mount them and take them for a spin just to see what they feel like on pavement. Get them aired to around 60 or 65 psi and they could be fun. Might even be a little fun on some hard pack. Controlled drifts can be fun if they're predictable. I wonder if I could mount'em tubeless? Hmmm...got me thinkin' now?

Geax Evolution Tires.jpg

Geax Evolution Tire.jpg

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
I've got an older mountain bike that I use for commuting, on which I mounted a set of Continental CruiseContact. It's a nice wide tyre and has been very durable.

·
Registered
2019 Salsa Horsethief; Mone La Roca (V1)
845 Posts
A few that I'm looking at: Halo Twin Rail and Schwalbe Big Apples.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Once you ride big apples you won't ride anything else. It's like riding a caddy! If you can stick the 2.35" in the rear you will be on cloud nine. I'm running P35's with the 60mm BA's 28f/36r tubed, dreamy. I've put about 800 miles on those tires and they still look new. (I weigh 260 geared up for point of reference). I'd love to have a set of super moto's but I have to wear out the big apples first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
+1 for the Big Apples. Just built up a Orge for commuting with the 2.35" front and back. Skipper is right……. Great tire!

·
Alaskan in exile.
439 Posts
I bought a set of Geax Evolution 29" 1.9's for pavement. I have an extra set of 29'r wheels and thought it would be cool to have an extra set of pavement tires. I never seemed to get around to mounting them up. My preference lies with having several set's of dirt tires for different conditions. I use those perhaps more than I would the street tires, but who knows?

I would like to mount them and take them for a spin just to see what they feel like on pavement. Get them aired to around 60 or 65 psi and they could be fun. Might even be a little fun on some hard pack. Controlled drifts can be fun if they're predictable. I wonder if I could mount'em tubeless? Hmmm...got me thinkin' now?
If you get those successfully mounted up tubeless, come back and let us know. I would be interested in the details.

·
Just Wanna Ride!
1,374 Posts
Having a second set of tires is a great idea. I've done group rides on my mountain bike without too much trouble.

Take a look at Specialized - several dual purpose options. Slick for pavement but with a bit of a shoulder for cutting through the park on your way home!

Specialized Bicycle Components

Specialized Bicycle Components

Look up your rim to see the narrowest tire you can run safely. Rolling a tire off at speed would suck.

·
Magically Delicious
9,807 Posts
Not sure why some are recommending knobby/semi-knobby tires for pavement rides.
Semi-knobby in case you change your mind mid-ride about riding on the road. ;)-F

Always nice to have just enought tread to for a brisk blitz through the park when the urge presents itself.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Semi-knobby in case you change your mind mid-ride about riding on the road. ;)

-F
Gotcha. I will say, though, I have done plenty of dirt road rides on 28 slicks on my road bike. (Gatorskins). This, of course, depends on your local terrain, of course.

·
Registered
141 Posts
been using these for years- cheap and effective, they see daily dirt also on my commute home.
Forté Metro-K Road and Mountain Tires

Our Price:
$19.99
SALE:
$15.99
Save: $4.00 (20%)

mark

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Let's be honest, you aren't going to be looking for super performance out of these tires.

Just get a cheap tire. You're looking for narrowish, light, slick/semi/slick with low-knob heights.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts