Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did Oat Hill yesterday on WTB motoraptors, 2.4 front (40psi) and 2.24 rear (50psi). Skatey! Granted I think my air pressures were too high, but it still felt lots more skatey than anything up at downieville.

thanks,

-Sp

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Like riding on ball bearings and sheet metal

I haven't been to Downieville this year. As I recall First Divide sounds like you are riding over broken bathroom tiles in places but that stuff at least packs down and holds more. For the rest, when you aren't navigating babyheads and boulders you are in alluvial duff which can be mixed with degraded foliage which can be grippier than the Oat Hill stuff. Oat Hill has places that are just busted up rock and scree which pile up and make traction a nightmare.
I don't know how worn your tires are but your tire pressures could be an issue. Why 50 in the back? Are yo a big guy or on a hardtail trying to avoid snake bites? 38-43 seems to be a good range but 50 will bounce me all over the place. Check your pump against others for accuracy and then sample some other tire pressures an see what your results are.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I weigh in at 235ish with gear, hence the 50psi out back. Tires are new. 1 ride on the rear, none before oathill for the front tire. Makes me wish I was on my bullit instead.

thanks,

-Sp

Berkeley Mike said:
I haven't been to Downieville this year. As I recall First Divide sounds like you are riding over broken bathroom tiles in places but that stuff at least packs down and holds more. For the rest, when you aren't navigating babyheads and boulders you are in alluvial duff which can be mixed with degraded foliage which can be grippier than the Oat Hill stuff. Oat Hill has places that are just busted up rock and scree which pile up and make traction a nightmare.
I don't know how worn your tires are but your tire pressures could be an issue. Why 50 in the back? Are yo a big guy or on a hardtail trying to avoid snake bites? 38-43 seems to be a good range but 50 will bounce me all over the place. Check your pump against others for accuracy and then sample some other tire pressures an see what your results are.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,156 Posts
Last time I went up there I used Weirwolf 2.5 upfront and the Mutano 2.4 in back. both pumped to upper mid 30s or so. (I don't stress to hard about it) Worked fine. Had more issues on the pilot side than the equipment side.

Werner

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Way to much pressure. I am 225 and on the same size tires I run about 40 in the front and 38 psi in the rear. Try dropping pressures a bit and it should help.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm bass ackwards and typically run higher air pressure in the rear. I rode Santa Teresa today on the bullit and pinch flatted running 35-38psi in the front. even with 7" of travel. ugh.

-Sp

CDMC said:
Way to much pressure. I am 225 and on the same size tires I run about 40 in the front and 38 psi in the rear. Try dropping pressures a bit and it should help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts