Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't a true WW post but I thought that I'd ask here because it seems like you guys/gals might know. I am going to the U.S. MTB Nationals in September and would like to ask everyone of their opinion on tires for the XC race couse at Mammoth Mountain. I dont want to go ultra-lite (<400g) because I don't want to run a huge risk of tearing the side wall. Also, if anyone has any info on the race course that would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea, I also run Stan's.

Scott

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
stewy said:
I know this isn't a true WW post but I thought that I'd ask here because it seems like you guys/gals might know. I am going to the U.S. MTB Nationals in September and would like to ask everyone of their opinion on tires for the XC race couse at Mammoth Mountain. I dont want to go ultra-lite (<400g) because I don't want to run a huge risk of tearing the side wall. Also, if anyone has any info on the race course that would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea, I also run Stan's.

Scott
I'm not sure what tires to use. I just know the conditions at Mammoth do get very dry during the summer months, if there's no rain. I would recommend a light tire with good traction. Make sure you break in new tires before hitting any trail. I raced there back in 93, 94 and 95. I used IRC Mythos tube tires. If I was to race there again I'd go with a very good XC tire for sure. The climb I did back then was long and you need great traction. I remember a great course they had. It was long but fun. IRC are good tires, I've had great luck with them IMO!

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
stewy said:

Scott
I don't know exactly what course the track takes, but my Kenda Karma DTC's did really well there in late July. They also run well tubeless.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.