Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be going to the U.S. MTB Nationals in September and would like to ask everyone of their opinion on tires for the XC race couse at Mammoth Mountain. I dont want to go ultra-lite (<400g) because I don't want to run a huge risk of tearing the side wall. Also, if anyone has any info on the race course that would be greatly appreciated. Oh yea, I also run Stan's.

Scott

·
Registered
80 Posts
Scott,

Not sure what to tell you about tires since the last time I was at Mammoth was in 2000 for the National race. It was dry and dusty then, so I am assuming it will be the same. But who knows. The pro riders I wrench for will probably be running tubeless Hutchinson Python Light tires with Stan's sealant. You can check out the link below for more info about the race.

http://www.mammothmountain.com/bike_ride/norba/schedule/

Frank

·
Registered
790 Posts
xc tires

HMMMM, cali mountains in september. Sounds like you will be dealing with dry and dusty conditions over hardpack. I would go with Kenda Nevegal Lights. These are listed as 1.95 but they are really a true 2.0. They roll fast due to the ramped center knobs, but big transition knobs allow them to dig in and hold a line in the loose. I was having problems with front end pushing in loose conditions until I switched to these. I would say they are about as fast as Pythons with much more grip in loose conditions.
Good luck, have a great race!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Larsen TT

I was thinking of running the Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 eXception tires. What do you guys/gals think about that?

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts