Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
I havnt been riding much lately due to the weather but last weekend it warmed up to like 45 degrees and I couldnt resist the temptation to hit the trails. As a result, I've been bitten by the biking bug and I've decided I'm going to start riding more in spite of the snow and stuff we have been having.

So I'm thinking I need some new tires. My current panaracers dont perform well in we conditions, they simply dont shed mud well at all. What tires would you guys recommend for muddy conditions and evena little bit of snow (we currently have about two inches on the ground). Keep in mind, I dont really want to add too much weight so something in about the same weight range as a panaracer fire xc would be great.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've been doing some reading and the kenda nevegals are looking like they migh fit my needs pretty well. They are a little more pricy then I would like but thats not that big of a deal. what do you guys think of these?
they weigh about the same as my panaracers but have alot of good reviews about their performance in wet conditions.

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
I've used Nevegals, and for snow, they aren't my first choice. The sticky rubber in those tires seems to go hard in colder temperatures (so they slip off roots and rocks when there's snow on the ground), and their tread pattern isn't the best for mud.

For mud/snow riding, I like Nokians, their rubber stays soft in the cold. Gazzas are eally good on loose snow, NBX for hardpack, mud etc.

NBX 2.3 might be a good choice for your riding, their rubber compound seems to stay grippy even when it's cold, the tread pattern clears mud pretty well, and they weigh ~650g.

Hutchinson Spiders might be ok and they're cheap. I haven't tried them in the snow, but they clear mud reasonably well and are good all-rounders.

I've also used Maxxis Swampthing 40a compound, but again they don't seem to stay soft below freezing.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,410 Posts
pedro_sandchez said:
I've been doing some reading and the kenda nevegals are looking like they migh fit my needs pretty well. They are a little more pricy then I would like but thats not that big of a deal. what do you guys think of these?
they weigh about the same as my panaracers but have alot of good reviews about their performance in wet conditions.
This one is easy: If you can still find them, the Continental Survivor is unstoppable. They are like tractor tires, and shed mud very well. They roll like a square block on hardpack, but if you want dependable traction in mud and snow, that's the way it goes. They came in a 2.1 and 2.3 version. I love the 2.3 version. They are not made any more, but you may still find one on ebay or something. Otherwise, you need to look at something with serious knobs that are widely spaced. I like the looks of the mudshark.

I have also used the Nevegal in both 2.1 and 2.35. OK in mud, but not great. For mud there are MUCH better options (at least in 26" sizes). I now ride a 29'er for my xc bike and Nevegals are about the best option, and that is pretty sad.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Go Maxxis

The Swampthing is , as the name implies a superb mud tire.

I rode mine this weekend here in Switzerland and again, as with every other sloppy conditions ride I was blown away be how well they not only grip but more importantly shed.

Superb tire.

FWIW MBUK just did a mud tire test and not suprisingly the swampthing was the highest rated.

After seeing some of the conditions the Brits ride through, I will trust a UK rags Mud tire recomendation any time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
snow tires

i bought a pair of kenda kinetics in 2.35 and was a little disappointed when i mounted them up and they were more like the kenda nevegal 2.1 that i have also...but when i rode them in the cold frozen/snow trails here in the northeast i was amaized by how well they hooked up...i was able to climb all the slippery hills that give me trouble when its muddy...not sure if its the frozen ground or the tires or a combo of both but they really work well...definatly a winter/snow frozen ground type of tire...i haven't even bothered to mount up the studded tires they work so well...

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Nokian...from the land of ice and snow

When it gets cold, muddy, and even a little snowy I mount up my Nokian Gazzalodi Dual 2.3's and never look back. These babies were made by people who know their snow (Finland if your not in the know).

Seriously, this is my number one mud tire. I've had them three years now because they only see action in the winter. I'm sure they'd be great other times, but I have other favorite tires for the drier seasons. Plus, they last longer this way!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
warton said:
i bought a pair of kenda kinetics in 2.35 and was a little disappointed when i mounted them up and they were more like the kenda nevegal 2.1 that i have also...but when i rode them in the cold frozen/snow trails here in the northeast i was amaized by how well they hooked up...i was able to climb all the slippery hills that give me trouble when its muddy...not sure if its the frozen ground or the tires or a combo of both but they really work well...definatly a winter/snow frozen ground type of tire...i haven't even bothered to mount up the studded tires they work so well...
Ok, but not Kinetics for mud!

Around here, my Extreme 294s' studs come in handy, cause when the ground is frozen, there is usually ice where you least expect it... (sometimes hidden under the snow)

·
Registered
381 Posts
alias said:
FWIW MBUK just did a mud tire test and not suprisingly the swampthing was the highest rated.
The Swampthing is a good tyre but heavy, too big in some circumstances.

I have ridden the Bonty Mud X 2.0 (winner in the MBUK test) and have to say it is excellent in wet muddy and rooty conditions. After all you need thinner tyres to cut through the gloop.

I also recommend the WTB motoraptor 2.24, great all rounder.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Check out the Specialized Resolution. It comes in a 2.3 with nice wide spaced knobs. I rode the Nev's all summer and winter and loved them on my RFX. Once the temps got cold they were dangerous. After a cold ride I dropped the front tire from waist high and it DID NOT BOUNCE. The rubber was hard as a rock.

The Resolutions come tubeless and are dual compound. They are a really nice tire. About 40 bucks from my local shop

CM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.