Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on new tires for my ML. I currently have Nevegal 2.35's front and rear. Was thinking of switching over to a 2.1 Small Block in the rear and keeping the Nevegal up front. I'm usually on hard pack and dried clay. Occasionaly that clay gets VERY greasy when wet. It's those times that I appreciate the open tread pattern of the Nevegal in back. It's the only thing keeping me from the Small Block. I see some are also using Blue Grooves. Any input for you all?

thanks,
simp

·
Registered
280 Posts
Not sure where you're located, but here in Southern CA the Bluegroove is very popular. I currently run the nevegals front and back though. I think this is my favorite combo I've tried. I have been curious of the small block though.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Schwalbe nobbi nics are also decent......if you're a WW, then nobbi nic of the front and racing ralph on the rear........

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Another good choice is the Geax Sturdy 2.25 on front, 2.1 on rear. Good fast, grippy combo. I love them on my ML.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
simplton said:
Looking for opinions on new tires for my ML. I currently have Nevegal 2.35's front and rear. Was thinking of switching over to a 2.1 Small Block in the rear and keeping the Nevegal up front. I'm usually on hard pack and dried clay. Occasionaly that clay gets VERY greasy when wet. It's those times that I appreciate the open tread pattern of the Nevegal in back. It's the only thing keeping me from the Small Block. I see some are also using Blue Grooves. Any input for you all?

thanks,
simp
I just purchased my ML last week and it has a Small Block 8 2.35 on the rear. I'm totally impressed with the 4 hours of riding I have on it so far -- TONS of grip (even on the loose stuff), low rolling resistance, and decent weight. When I first saw those little dinky knobbies I figured the tire would hold on well on the hardback and suck in the loose stuff, but it has turned out to be a surprisingly agile tire.

I've never had the tire on anything wet so far...and being from AZ, I probably never will.

Check the reviews on MTBR too. They are all very positive.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dgangi said:
I just purchased my ML last week and it has a Small Block 8 2.35 on the rear. I'm totally impressed with the 4 hours of riding I have on it so far -- TONS of grip (even on the loose stuff), low rolling resistance, and decent weight. When I first saw those little dinky knobbies I figured the tire would hold on well on the hardback and suck in the loose stuff, but it has turned out to be a surprisingly agile tire.

I've never had the tire on anything wet so far...and being from AZ, I probably never will.

Thx...Doug
Right. My concern is how quickly they could pack up with the closely spaced knobs... As I mentioned, the big gaps betweent knobs on the Nevegal keep them pretty clean. Mainly I'm just looking for more clearance in the rare. Nevery really had a problem with the Nevegals. Was wanting to keep the Nevegal on thr front to keep costs down.

cheers,
simp

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Geax Sturdy's

All Mountain said:
They sound like a good combo. There is a certain Dulybr trying to get me on Sturdy's !~!

Do you have the UST version Eddie ?~?
No I don't have the UST version but these can easily be converted. The 2.25 barely fits on the rear probably because I have a narrow rim and it is an extremely tall tire. Black Agness wants to try the 2.25's on his ML. He said that his rims are so wide that it will make them flatten out and clearance won't be an issue. If you have wide rims go 2.25 front and rear. If not, do like me and go 2.25 front, 2.1 rear. They are simply the best tires I have used under any condition. The 2.25 is so tall that you can run really low pressures for max grip. But they roll pretty decently. And they look wicked on your bike:D

·
2,308 Posts
simplton said:
Right. My concern is how quickly they could pack up with the closely spaced knobs... As I mentioned, the big gaps betweent knobs on the Nevegal keep them pretty clean. Mainly I'm just looking for more clearance in the rare. Nevery really had a problem with the Nevegals. Was wanting to keep the Nevegal on thr front to keep costs down.

cheers,
simp
Based on my experience with other tires, I'm certain the Small Block 8 will be horrible in sticky mud. There is nothing that works well in mud with small closely placed low profile knobbies - they just pack up too fast. Mud requires widely spaced deep knobbies, preferrably something without ramps (which most tires seem to have, including the Nevegal).

But also based on my experience with other ties, there is no tire that works well in all conditions, especially mud vs. hardpack. The Nevegal may do a fair job on hardpack, but it's a sssslllllooooowwww roller. Why don't you get a Small Block 8 for the dry days and swap it out for the Nevegal for those rainy wet days (or better yet...get a true mud tire for the wet days). Then you'll be using the right tool for the right conditions.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Sturdy

I ran the Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST's for a bit and liked them a lot.

The 2.25 UST fit the motolite fine on my Mavic XM819 rim. Plenty of space width-wise, but it was tight vertically just for the center row of lugs. The chainstay yoke had plenty of clearance, it's only the seatstay bridge that was tight..... It could be that with a different rim, or non-UST tire, clearance might be an issue. But if you have mavic 819's then you're in luck!

I think the sturdies would work well for your conditions. The lugs are widely spaced enough they don't pack up, and they are wide enough they don't squirm or wiggle on hardpack. I didn't care for them so much on wet roots and wet wood- the high roller makes a better tire for our off-season conditions here. But for the conditiosn you describe, I bet the sturdies would be excellent.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If you're in muddy conditions you're probably not going to like any of the tires that I like because they pretty much suck at shedding mud however, I'll toss my tire thoughts out there anyway.

On the rear I tried a couple of different tires including the Nevegal (which I actually liked quite a bit but it wore out too quickly and was a pretty slow roller) but finally landed on the Maxxis Larsen TT which is, IMO the greatest rear tire available for loose over hard-pack climbing and descending as well as dry, technical climbing. It has great cornering grip, excellent climbing bite and solid braking ability so it's the only rear tire I've run for more than a year (although I am going to give the Small Block a shot just to see if it stacks up).

On the front there are a couple of tires that I like. The Blue Groove is a good tire but I found it had a pretty quick "give" when it hit the edge of its cornering ability. I ran the Weirwolf up front as well for some time and found that to be a very good all around tire but the 2.1 UST version is very narrow (all of these tires are UST BTW) and not really a "true" 2.1. I'm currently on a Maxxis Ignitor 2.3 UST and really like it. It seems to roll very well and the large casing makes the bike feel like it has an extra half-inch or so of travel.

Again though, all of these tire choices are for SoCal conditions where it's typically pretty dry so, if you're riding through wet stuff, all of these selections are probably going to be a bit too tightly spaced for your needs.

Good luck.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,692 Posts
I run the Nevegal 2.1 DTC converted to tubeless front and rear, and I like them but they do indeed roll slow. One tire that I like on my hardtail is the WW 2.55LT for the front. It's definitely not a mud tire, but it's really great for everything else as a front tire.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks folks...

Thanks for all the responses guys. Understanding that not everyone here rides in the same conditions that I do makes it a hard question to answer and I didn't really do a very goo djob of describing what I ride on. But that Geax Sturdy looks pretty sweet and from what you all are telling me, it appears to be a pretty good do everything tire. So I'm thinking of going with the 2.1 Sturdy in the rear and we'll see how the 2.35 Nevegal matches with that up front.

Also, I know the Nevegal is a slow roller, but I was surprised to find that the 2.35 Nevegal that I have on my ML seems to roll even faster than the 2.1 (1.9 real) Panny Fire XCPro that's on my Epic... Weird.

Now, another question: I know a lot of you guys with frantzy wheels are pro'ly running UST setups. I'm still using tubes. Wondering what lightweight tubes you all are running. I'm not concerned with thorns, don't really have the big nasty ones around here. I also don't really care if I have to top off the tires before each ride since I check tire pressure each ride anyway. The tubes I've got now are regular and go about 220grams per. I see that some tubes can go as low as 120-145g per. Seems like a great way to shed some rotating weight. Thoughts?

as always, thanks!

simp

·
Hueston Woods Trail Crew
1,844 Posts
New Motolite buildup

dgangi said:

Thx...Doug
Looks like you got to ride your new bike. I had it shipped to you on Thursday. Did it arrive Friday?
How did the assembly go? Everything good?
Looking forward to your review and pix.
Bob

·
2,308 Posts
Bikerbob.com said:
Looks like you got to ride your new bike. I had it shipped to you on Thursday. Did it arrive Friday?
How did the assembly go? Everything good?
Looking forward to your review and pix.
Bob
Hi Bob -

I already posted up some pics here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=261313

The bike showed up on Friday exactly as promised and everything went together just fine. The only thing I changed out were the grips (bike came w/some wimpy WTB's and I like lock-on grips better). I also threw on some Forte/Performance SPD pedals until I figure out what pedals I want long term.

I took the bike out for a 4 hour ride yesterday (Sun). I'll log some more miles this weekend and I'll let you know how everything goes. I'm still trying to get the bike dialed in, so it may be a few more weeks before everything 'clicks'.

Thx...Doug

·
Banned
4,348 Posts
Try the Sturdy 2.25 on the front instead of the Nev. I guarantee you'll love it. If not I'll buy it from you.

·
Registered
280 Posts
So, where can you pick up the Sturdy's in the states? I've got 717's i'd like to put them on. Planning on running the 2.25 front and back. How does the 2.25 stack up compared to a nevegal in width?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
UST Sturdy

mcgrath said:
So, where can you pick up the Sturdy's in the states? I've got 717's i'd like to put them on. Planning on running the 2.25 front and back. How does the 2.25 stack up compared to a nevegal in width?
mcgrath !~!

Here are some photos showing 2.25 UST Sturdy clearance mounted on 819 rim.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.