Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newb just getting into MTB'ing and live in south Florida.

I ride both on and off road. When off road I ride at Johnathan Dickenson State Park, which is mostly roots, sand and some firm stuff, did I say SAND.

I am riding a Kona Hoss Dee-Lux with a set of Continental Vertical 2.3's. They seem to work well for the limited experience I have.

What kind of tires are you guys riding for this type of terrain?

Thanks

·
Registered
754 Posts
MTB-5O said:

I ride both on and off road. When off road I ride at Johnathan Dickenson State Park, which is mostly roots, sand and some firm stuff, did I say SAND.

I am riding a Kona Hoss Dee-Lux with a set of Continental Vertical 2.3's. They seem to work well for the limited experience I have.

Thanks
I've ridden JD with just about every type of tire, and one of the best and most affordable ones I've found are the WTB mutanoraptor race 2.4.

They are light, wide, they last and roll great. They seem to float over the deep stuff better than anything, And as a front tire they seem to have that knob groove down the middle that I think kinda helps them steer a bit. The only down side to this tire is that if you do a lot of bigger jumps they tend to be a bit flimsy in the sidewall as they are so light. If that's you you might want to try the same tire in a heavier version

-T

·
Registered
46 Posts
MTB-5O said:

Thanks
I like my WTB velociraptors. They weigh a little more than the other WTB tires but thats because they are built with kevlar. I have never gotten a flat riding at Markham and Oleta for 3 years. I have replaced them oncedue to wear, the rocks do take their toll. They also do well in sand and you can reverse them for going in the mud.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks....

I am thinking of ordering a set of Velociraptors and trying them out. A friend of mine has a set of Continental Gravity Pro's (new) he will part with for $50. I will probably try them out as well.

My Vertical's are not even close to wore out yet, however; it seems I have a new addiction in trying different things on my bike, tires, stems, saddles, etc, and as usual everyone on this site is very helpfull in "pushing" my new addiction. ;)

Thanks as always
Gordi
:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.