Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
I rode 2.35 Nevegal UST and 2.1 UST SB8 this last weekend, and I liked them so much I'm gonna run them for the XC. Impressive performance. I've just switched from Chunder 2.3 / 2.2's.

Fat air volume, durable sidewall tires is the hot ticket.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
You want something grippy up front yet fast. You want something durable, yet light.

I would run the Nevegal up front and the Kenda SB8 in the rear.

The key is to run them or any tire tubeless and/or with Stans Fluid. Flats are the enemy!!!

You want a tire with girth so you can cushion the blows. Also, you don't want to run excessively high pressures since it's easier to slash a tire. Lower pressures with tubeless give you give you grip and control.

fc

Attachments

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
I would also recommend the Schwalbe Knobby Nics, Tubeless with Stans Fluid. They are very big, light, grippy AND fast.

Two of my test riders rode them at Downy a couple of weeks ago and they were untouchable. Of course they were great riders too.

fc

Attachments

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I ran Weirwolf LT 2.55 in front and S-works Captain 2.0 2-bliss in the back. No problems at all, though perhaps those who ride a bit faster might feel differently. For my riding style and pace, the Low Thread 2.55 did the trick just fine.

I would have figured the small block in D-ville is suicide but others apparently are doing well with it. There is a steep section just after Pauley Creek trail turns to single-track where its very easy to slide around on the bricks. I had problems with Nevegals on that, but perhaps I was just going too fast and didn't remember that section coming up.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
I ran Resolution UST 2bliss 2.3 Fr / 2.2 Rr last year and "skated" a bit on the diamond brick a t the bottom of Pauley creek and 1st divide. I was quite suprised by the "hook up" of the SB8 , was TOTALLY skeptical about their traction capability but have been pleasantly suprised. I think all the small blocks create so many biting edges that they just plain GRIP, Loose, Loose over hard, Hard pack, Wet rocks, Wet roots.... just plain suprising. I was running 35psi in the back and 32 in the front. 2.35 neve UST front, and 2.1 UST SB8 back.

I wouldn't run the standard neve's though, they just seem to be too flimsy in the casing for the sharp rocks at Dville. Yuba won't even run them on their demo bikes, the bike comes out of the box, the tires come off, some WTB's go on and then the bike gets built.

·
190lbs of climber
1,550 Posts
I'm going with the Weirwolf LT 2.55 also. Front and rear, and ghetto tubeless, Menso-style. Electric tape rimstrip and valve core cut out of flatted tubes. I rode at the gathering with the same tires, and they worked great. They're a little sketchy on loose stuff, but they break free predictably so that trait can actually be used advantageously to line up the wheel through a turn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm running a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 Snakeskin in the front and a 2.25 Nobby Nic Double Defense in the back. I've had some bad luck with random tubeless flats that wouldn't seal so I'm running tubes at 40 psi.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
Does anyone in the east/south bay care to show me the ropes of setting up a set of tires getto tubeless? It seems i only need stans and a 24in tube or 2?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Menso said:
I'm going with the Weirwolf LT 2.55 also. Front and rear, and ghetto tubeless, Menso-style. Electric tape rimstrip and valve core cut out of flatted tubes. I rode at the gathering with the same tires, and they worked great. They're a little sketchy on loose stuff, but they break free predictably so that trait can actually be used advantageously to line up the wheel through a turn.
Just curious, are you running the LTs with the inner peace sidewalls?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ghetto Tubeless how-to videos courtesy of Linga115 here on the forums. After watching, I did it easy.
part 1:
part 2:

If you've ridden the tires a few times with tubes, they shape and the beads will seat up better (based on my incredibly large number of attempts - 2 new tires and 2 gently used ones - the used seated quicker and easier). This may not hold true for all tires, but for me it did.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
francois said:
You want something grippy up front yet fast. You want something durable, yet light.

I would run the Nevegal up front and the Kenda SB8 in the rear.

The key is to run them or any tire tubeless and/or with Stans Fluid. Flats are the enemy!!!

You want a tire with girth so you can cushion the blows. Also, you don't want to run excessively high pressures since it's easier to slash a tire. Lower pressures with tubeless give you give you grip and control.

fc
What size tires are you running front and rear?I really like the performance of the SB8 but i have never ridden with the Nevegals.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
francois said:
I would also recommend the Schwalbe Knobby Nics, Tubeless with Stans Fluid. They are very big, light, grippy AND fast.

Two of my test riders rode them at Downy a couple of weeks ago and they were untouchable. Of course they were great riders too.

fc
I like the Nobby Nic UST a lot. You're right, they're big, light, grippy and fast, but I cut one (2.25") really badly, right at the bead, and Stan's couldn't seal it. The terrain wasn't that harsh. (Pine Mountain) I'd like to think it was a fluke but I've read similar things about the NN UST. I wish they used a stouter casing. I'll run them again for fun, but in a race it's too risky. Plus, they're pricey.

I think I'll be running 2.35" UST Nevegal front, 2.1" UST Blue Groove rear on Mavic XM819 UST rims. I wish the Schwalbe 2.35" UST Fat Alberts weren't so heavy, I'd run 'em, but at 930g they're way too heavy. Sure are fun tho, and that casing is awesome.

Morgan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Menso said:
Sick! Ghetto tubes rock. I have been running them for years and they work fine if done properly. I use packing tape and then a few spins of Electric tape. I just ordered 2.1 nevegals for the xc. I should got the 2.3 now that i'm reading this.:madman:

·
Registered
98 Posts
22b22 said:
Ghetto Tubeless how-to videos courtesy of Linga115 here on the forums. After watching, I did it easy.
part 1:
part 2:

If you've ridden the tires a few times with tubes, they shape and the beads will seat up better (based on my incredibly large number of attempts - 2 new tires and 2 gently used ones - the used seated quicker and easier). This may not hold true for all tires, but for me it did.
That is hella ghetto.. haha

Just get some packing tape and electric tape.... so much easier. Liquid latex/windex for sealant.$60 for a gallon of all Latex or $20 for the smaller container. That will last you for months if not years. Stans magic crystals didn't do much for me.

He's nuts keeping his head right next to the tire filling it up. I've had one explode in my face once.

·
190lbs of climber
1,550 Posts
MrCrash said:
Just curious, are you running the LTs with the inner peace sidewalls?
As far as I can tell, no. I can't find any label indicating "inner peace".

mtbjtd said:
Sick! Ghetto tubes rock. I have been running them for years and they work fine if done properly. I use packing tape and then a few spins of Electric tape. I just ordered 2.1 nevegals for the xc. I should got the 2.3 now that i'm reading this.:madman:
2.1's are fine; I used them with success for the last two years. I'm going with the LT because of the lower rolling resistance and better grip at lower psi on the climb. I've always found the Nevegal to be a crappy rear tire for loose fireroad climbs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
mtbjtd said:
That is hella ghetto.. haha

Just get some packing tape and electric tape.... so much easier. Liquid latex/windex for sealant.$60 for a gallon of all Latex or $20 for the smaller container. That will last you for months if not years. Stans magic crystals didn't do much for me.

He's nuts keeping his head right next to the tire filling it up. I've had one explode in my face once.
I only take it no higher than 40lbs too for that reason too as I have read about the blow outs.

What are you using for valve stems with your packing/electrical tape "tubes"?

I ran the ghetto setup like in the video on Nano-Raptors at DVille and was one of the few not bitten by a flat in my riding group. The nanos didn't have great traction... but held up great.

·
bicycle rider
2,718 Posts
morganfletcher said:
I like the Nobby Nic UST a lot. You're right, they're big, light, grippy and fast, but I cut one (2.25") really badly, right at the bead, and Stan's couldn't seal it. The terrain wasn't that harsh. (Pine Mountain) I'd like to think it was a fluke but I've read similar things about the NN UST. I wish they used a stouter casing. I'll run them again for fun, but in a race it's too risky. Plus, they're pricey.
I take it back, Francis. I ran the UST 2.25 Nobby Nics yesterday. I put too much air in them and they were way too hard - 42psi maybe, the pump was inaccurate - but they did fine otherwise. I should have run them around 36-38. (I weigh 204lbs.) I also put a bit too much air in my shock and fork. Wish I'd done a proper pre-ride this year!

Morgan

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
I ran Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evolution 2.25's without tubes, using Stans.
My pre-ride on Thursday produced a little puncture in the middle of the tire and Stan's fixed it in a jiffy, I put a little air in it with my CO2 and it was good.

The Racing Ralphs did great yesterday, didn't lose any air, were fast and grippy. I ran 32 in the rear and 28 in the front of my hardtail. 14th in Expert mens, 34.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.