Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Dolomites in the beginning of the August and look for some advice on tires.

Right now I have two years old Forekaster 2.35 in front of my Smuggler and new Vittoria Mezcal 2.35 in the rear. Last year I rode this combo in Saariselkä multi-stage marathon in Finland where there was lots of sharp rocks and they held up nicely. I have inserts in both tires and ride them at 22-23psi (I weight 100kg). I'm overbiked for my riding style for safety reasons. I mostly ride marathons and do not take any dangerous trails, jumps, etc. I'm really careful on descents.

I'm thinking about getting spare tire. Either another Forekaster or Mezcal or perhaps Vittoria Barzo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Transition Smuggler XL
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Those were horrible tyres. It’s all loose gravel and rocks here. Steep and long descents. Fell twice on steep gravel descents when front tyre lost the grip. Local bike shop suggested Magic Mary for the front, so this is what I got. Put the Barzo on the back.

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
I rode Michelin rock'r and grip'r when I rode the Dolomites two years ago. They did fantastic in the loose shale. Minions would have worked well too.

Forekaster is definitely not for aggressive conditions, in my experience.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.