Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ride More
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(X post from wheels)
I am going to be traveling to AZ pretty soon and was trying to decide what kind of tires to get. I have Crossmax XL's on a Giant NRS 3. We will be doing more XC riding than anything else. I currently use Pythons in Fl, but I imagine conditions are a bit different in AZ. I thought a UST tire and Stans would be good for thorns and cactus. Weight is not a huge factor, but light is not bad. Does anybody have some good suggestions?
Thanks in Advance
Andrew

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
amex420 said:
(X post from wheels)
I am going to be traveling to AZ pretty soon and was trying to decide what kind of tires to get. I have Crossmax XL's on a Giant NRS 3. We will be doing more XC riding than anything else. I currently use Pythons in Fl, but I imagine conditions are a bit different in AZ. I thought a UST tire and Stans would be good for thorns and cactus. Weight is not a huge factor, but light is not bad. Does anybody have some good suggestions?
Thanks in Advance
Andrew
I love UST with Stans for use in AZ. Very few flats. I like to run big tires, so take these suggestions with that in mind. My favorite UST for Arizona is the Geax Sturdy 2.25, but it is huge. I also love the new Geax Loco Lobo 2.3, big, but not as huge and faster rolling than the Sturdy. I really liked the Cont. Vert. Pros 2.3 for performance, but they are not as durable as the Geax tires sidewall wise and I have had a few problems with them - sidewall tear, bead issue. Many swear by the Specialized Enduro 2Bliss tires. They once came in 2.2, but Idon't think they make that size anymore. I have a 2.4 up front now and it is freaking huge and may even be too big for the rear on my 5-Spot.

·
Banned
1,004 Posts
Dirdir said:
I love UST with Stans for use in AZ. Very few flats. I like to run big tires, so take these suggestions with that in mind. My favorite UST for Arizona is the Geax Sturdy 2.25, but it is huge. I also love the new Geax Loco Lobo 2.3, big, but not as huge and faster rolling than the Sturdy. I really liked the Cont. Vert. Pros 2.3 for performance, but they are not as durable as the Geax tires sidewall wise and I have had a few problems with them - sidewall tear, bead issue. Many swear by the Specialized Enduro 2Bliss tires. They once came in 2.2, but Idon't think they make that size anymore. I have a 2.4 up front now and it is freaking huge and may even be too big for the rear on my 5-Spot.
Dude, you must be freaking bored to answer THAT question again...I'm suprised you're not up in Globe with all of the other h*mos...

Wanna learn to go huck your meat tomorrow a.m.?

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
DownHillFast said:
Dude, you must be freaking bored to answer THAT question again...I'm suprised you're not up in Globe with all of the other h*mos...

Wanna learn to go huck your meat tomorrow a.m.?
Its 12:40 a.m. right now and I am answering this. I am a fuqing putz. Can't do Globe or hucking as I am solo with child. Wife and number 2 are out of town this weekend.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Geax Loco Lobo...

Dirdir said:
I also love the new Geax Loco Lobo 2.3, big, but not as huge and faster rolling than the Sturdy.
Dirdir, where'd you get your Loco Lobo from? I'm in the process of building up some UST wheels and whann give the Sturdy/Lobo setup a try. Thx!

BTW - Just put on a Fox DHX 5.0 w/Ti spring. It has a much smoother feel during the entire stroke compared to the Romic. I'm using same spring weight (#500). The bottom out and boost valve adjustments allow for many setup configurations (plus ProPedal too). If you're looking for some bling bling on the ole Spot, I'd cast my vote on a DHX. Does it make me a better rider? Probably not, but I sure look cool! :D

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
cycljunkie said:
Dirdir, where'd you get your Loco Lobo from? I'm in the process of building up some UST wheels and whann give the Sturdy/Lobo setup a try. Thx!

BTW - Just put on a Fox DHX 5.0 w/Ti spring. It has a much smoother feel during the entire stroke compared to the Romic. I'm using same spring weight (#500). The bottom out and boost valve adjustments allow for many setup configurations (plus ProPedal too). If you're looking for some bling bling on the ole Spot, I'd cast my vote on a DHX. Does it make me a better rider? Probably not, but I sure look cool! :D
Mr. Junkie, I got the Loco Lobo at the Slippery Pig. I thought I noticed that they only had one out there, but I may be wrong. I like the tire so far. Faster rolling than the Sturdy.

I would love to upgrade and the DHX looks great. I am curious though. Many Turner Homers are replacing their Romic or DHX with the RP3. I don't like the idea of giving up coil for air. How does the DHX compare to the RP3 on National et al.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
I heard that too...

Dirdir said:
Many Turner Homers are replacing their Romic or DHX with the RP3. I don't like the idea of giving up coil for air. How does the DHX compare to the RP3 on National et al.
Here's my $0.02 worth (mind you I'm no suspension guru):
Pros
You can setup the RP3 so that it is silly plush... It also handles square hits much better than the Romic. 3 modes of ProPedal is pretty cool and quite functional IMHO. Plus the RP3 is ridiculously light!
Cons
Like pretty much any air shock the stroke is more progressive so it packs up a little near the end of it's stroke. Coil shocks will more than likely always have more of a linear feel to it. As soon as I put my Romic back on the Spot (after several rides with the RP3), that was the first thing I noticed. The ride felt instantly better. I've also noticed an inconsistent feel in RP3 shocks (guess it depends on who you buy it from). I had two on the Spot, one felt more plush than the other... One had faster rebound than the other (w/both rebound dampers backed out all the way).

I'm still learning how to tweak the DHX but so far I like it best of all 3 shocks. I'll definitely let you check it out next time we ride together.

Junkie out...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.