Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
Big and heavy, with fat knobs.

Currently running stuff that's proving to be too light: Rampage and Nevegal on my RIP9, Jones something-or-other on my singlespeed 29er. I'm getting a LOT of sidewall cuts, and it's starting to piss me off. The tubeless setup is more of a liability than an asset when you start carving up your sides.

p.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Paul B said:

Currently running stuff that's proving to be too light: Rampage and Nevegal on my RIP9, Jones something-or-other on my singlespeed 29er. I'm getting a LOT of sidewall cuts, and it's starting to piss me off. The tubeless setup is more of a liability than an asset when you start carving up your sides.

p.
dunno if in the massiveness of the ghetto tubeless thread you caught this, but someone (mykhelle?) suggested keeping a piece of a milk jug in your Camelback to help with on trail repairs. I got one, paid $6.95 for it from Stan's.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,270 Posts
Tires for AZ;

Little rocks are loose and big rocks cut tires. We have both.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Paul B said:

p.
Really...wtf are you riding on, glass? I'm running tubes and Rampage/Rampage on the RIP, and Rampage/Exi on the sir SS with no cuts and no pinch flats.

We need to ride, Paul...

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Maxxis Ignitors (UST version for the thicker sidewall) on back, Kenda Nevegal on front (kevlar is OK ). For heavier riding I'll switch to Highrollers, Minions but nothing bigger than 2.5.

·
No Clue Crew
7,704 Posts
I've been running Kenda Cortez 2.4 front/rear on the new 5-inch bike I just built. I like them quite a bit. About 7 rides and no issues yet. Thinking about switching to a Small Block 8 2.1 in the rear for faster/lighter rolling.

I run Maxxis Ignitors on my 29er hardtail. No complaints there and they've stood up well.
d

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
waltaz said:
Really...wtf are you riding on, glass? I'm running tubes and Rampage/Rampage on the RIP, and Rampage/Exi on the sir SS with no cuts and no pinch flats.

We need to ride, Paul...
What are you riding on, pavement? :skep:

In all seriousness, it's just a run of bad luck. I hit some tougher trails (National, Geronimo, etc.) and the result was more sidewall cuts. That'd be true if I were on 26ers as well.

And, heck yeah, we need to ride!

p.

·
Registered
58 Posts
WTB stout is a crappy tire for the rear. It only lasted about 250 miles, the blocks are too big and get torn off under heavy braking/acceleration riding in the rocks here in flag.

·
Saucy Size
4,482 Posts
chollaball said:
dunno if in the massiveness of the ghetto tubeless thread you caught this, but someone (mykhelle?) suggested keeping a piece of a milk jug in your Camelback to help with on trail repairs. I got one, paid $6.95 for it from Stan's.
Yes! I saw that and forgot to ask for more information. How does it work? How do you secure the plastic against the sidewall?

p.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
Paul B said:
Yes! I saw that and forgot to ask for more information. How does it work? How do you secure the plastic against the sidewall?

p.
i've never tried it, but the cut piece is basically the same shape as the tire with a slight curve - looks like the tube holds it in place, maybe with some help from tape or whatnot you've got in your camelback.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.